• Sneaky
  • Tired

Thread: Dying fish? Pond crashing?

janine is offline Senior Member
      This user has no status.

Feeling:
      ----

Dying fish? Pond crashing?

Hi guys.. it’s been a while.. I’m a complacent ponder... pond has been going for about 8 years. Approx 4000 gallons, 2 50 gal strapping barrels and an ultima2 inline. Central Florida. Took my net off about two days ago. Everything seemed fine. Fish were active. I came out this evening and one 13 in her us floating.. she looks burnt... I checked my levels, I am high. Ammonia .5 Nitrite is .5 Ugh... and my ph is 7.4 too. Usually 8... None of the others appear harmed. I have a few “scaleless” including this one. Does it look like trauma and then she sunburned floating... or burn from ammonia and nitrites. It may have gotten into the skimmer and best itself up. This is my first death since the beginning.. I’m so mad at myself. I stopped checking parameters.. we’ve had a lot of rain.. and cold. I’m dumping and doing a water change now. 1/2 from well (hard) half from softened.. what’s the best way to get this back? I can do a trickle in and out all night.. but I’m concerned about raising the PH too fast too. I know I’m losing this fish.. trying to “save” the pond. Any suggestions for the fish would be appreciated.
      Attached Images Attached Images     
      Disclaimer: I'm just a hobbiest....and I read ALOT

Janinehttp://theroostinghen.blogspot.com/

The best remedy for those who are afraid, lonely or unhappy is to go outside, somewhere where they can be quiet, alone with the heavens, nature and God. Because only then does one feel that all is as it should be and that God wishes to see people happy, amidst the simple beauty of nature.

• Remove Ads
        Advertising from Google
        Promoting Koi and Pond
        keeping since 2007

richtoybox is offline Administrator
      This user has no status.

Feeling:
      Awesome

Changing water is great. I don't know that I would be using any softened water as an increase in both KH and GH are probably needed to bring the pH back to stability. Check the pH late in the afternoon, early evening and if it is over 8, add baking soda to bring the KH up to over 150 by using the calculator at the top of the page to determine amount needed. Due to diurnal changes in pH when the KH is low, the pH should be its highest at about sunset, and the shock of increased pH by the addition of baking soda will be its lowest. The filter is suffering a pH crash causing the ammonia reading and the nitrite reading, but if the pH is stabilized, it should return to zeros soon. In the mean time treat the pond with a complete pond dose of SeaChem Safe, Prime, Cloram-X or other treatment for chloramine to bind the ammonia, and help with the nitrites. The burns are probably associated with the pH changes due to the pH crash, and the effect may be temporary. Get the water right, NOW, and keep an eye on the fish.
      Zone 7 A/B
      Keep your words sweet. You never know when you may have to eat them.
      Richard

This user has no status.

Feeling:
      ----

Thanks... I’m filling straight off the well, so water is very hard and PH is 8.2-4 coming out of hose. Hopefully I caught it in time. Heading back out to check again. That PH level was at sunset...eek. Poor babies. Do you think it’s all our rain? I had been filling a lot due to evaporation in Dec-Jan... but this month the rain has been heavy... I’ve never dealt with this kind of swing before... usually it’s very hard and stable. I’ll run out tomorrow for binder.. I’ve never had to use it before, wasn’t sure how that works as far as my bio.. won’t effect them?

The best remedy for those who are afraid, lonely or unhappy is to go outside, somewhere where they can be quiet, alone with the heavens, nature and God. Because only then does one feel that all is as it should be and that God wishes to see people happy, amidst the simple beauty of nature.

This user has no status.

Feeling:
      Awesome

It won't affect the bio at all. It will help to protect the fish. I don't know exactly where things are in relation to you, but as I remember LeeB of Land O Lakes would comment about the phosphate mines??? and their negative effect on the acid rain in that vicinity. As I said, I don't know where the phosphate mines are, or their relationship to your location, by they might be part of the problem as you say you are in Central Florida and Land O Lakes, though on the western side, is still central North South.

Many develop a practice of routinely adding baking soda with impending heavy rain to protect against acid rain.
      Zone 7 A/B
      Richard

This user has no status.

Feeling:
      ----

I’m on the East side...heading towards Melbourne area. This morning, I flushed the strapping barrels. The levels were a bit better.. no phosphate minds our way... southwest from us.
      PH... still sitting at 7.8-8.0 KH and gH were both 180
      All the Fish present very very active and healthy. Getting binder today... in the meantime I’m still doing a trickle in trickle out...

This user has no status.

Feeling:
      Awesome

Sounds like trouble avoided. Keep an eye on anything strange for a few weeks. The stress may have made them susceptible to parasite attack and subsequent infections.
      Zone 7 A/B
      Richard

trapper is offline Senior Member
      This user has no status.

Feeling:
      ----

Quote Originally Posted by janine View Post
      Thanks... I’m filling straight off the well, so water is very hard and PH is 8.2-4 coming out of hose. Hopefully I caught it in time. Heading back out to check again. That PH level was at sunset...eek. Poor babies. Do you think it’s all our rain? I had been filling a lot due to evaporation in Dec-Jan... but this month the rain has been heavy... I’ve never dealt with this kind of swing before... usually it’s very hard and stable. I’ll run out tomorrow for binder.. I’ve never had to use it before, wasn’t sure how that works as far as my bio.. won’t effect them?
      The rains do raise havoc on the KH and Ph as well. I know here in Ca. when we get a inch of rain I'll throw a cup of BS in and it'll be fine, I try to keep the KH at 8 so it gives me a little cushion.. When the water warms and I start to feed heavy I'll keep the KH up around 10 to feed the bio as well.

• Remove Ads
        Advertising from Google
        Promoting Koi and Pond
        keeping since 2007