frostbitez is offline Senior Member
      This user has no status.

Feeling:
      ----

Koi veins pop up

Hi guys
      can i get help getting advices about my koi
      i've been keeping a tosai karashi from 30cm to +-70cm for 9 months
      6 months ago my koi (around 50cm) veins was seen all over my koi body (water parameters was normal, and only this fish have this condition)
      koi behaviour seems normal (still have very high appetite) except veins was seen all over
      so after 2 weeks i decided to ask a vet about this condition, and he send me 3 shots of injections
      right before the shot (i fast 3 days before) the veins was much lesser but i still give the first shot, the next day the veins almost all gone, so i decided not to give the other 2 shots left
      so i tried fasting and lesser food and the veins pop was better,
      this is the first time i have this problem

last months i got male tancho showa momotaro nisai from auction and he also have veins seen all over the body,
      tried the vitamin c injection but nothing happened, the only same thing about this two fish is their high appetite

so is there anything i can do about this? and what causing the problem?
      i still dont know what is substance in the injections, i tried asking to buy vial but the vet said they only come in 50cc vial and i think he meant the substance is expensive (he still dont said whats in the substance)

comments are welcome
      thanks

Name:  Screenshot-20210223-150838-Whats-App.jpg
Views: 56
Size:  28.9 KB

RichToyBox is offline Administrator ~
      Koi Health Care Committee Member
      This user has no status.

Feeling:
      Awesome

Veins exhibiting increased visibility is a sign of stress. The stress could be water quality, parasites, or handling. Koi that are transported to shows and back often show veins due to the stress of handling, no matter how easy the catch, measure, tub, etc. You don't mention any strange activity, such as breaching, flashing, isolation, piping, etc. so I would hold off on any treatments for parasites until water quality is assured great. A low KH allows for extreme changes in pH, morning to evening, which is very stressful on the fish, but also on the filter bacteria. Ammonia burns the skin, just like it burns human nasal membranes and lungs. You say the "water parameters was normal" but that doesn't tell us what the actual numbers are and without test numbers it doesn't mean much.

It is always easier and cheaper to fix the water than to fix the fish, and without good water the fish will have a hard time healing. So please provide test numbers for ammonia, nitrite, pH morning (sunup or close) and evening (sundown or close) or pH and KH and water temperature. After seeing what the environment is like we can pursue other possibilities.

"Our goal is to assist with emergency and Koi health issues, as well as educate on best practices. Please help us gain a clear picture by giving the original poster time to answer our questions before offering opinions and suggested treatments."

Zone 7 A/B
      Keep your words sweet. You never know when you may have to eat them.
      Richard

frostbitez is offline Senior Member
      This user has no status.

Feeling:
      ----

Quote Originally Posted by RichToyBox View Post
      Veins exhibiting increased visibility is a sign of stress. The stress could be water quality, parasites, or handling. Koi that are transported to shows and back often show veins due to the stress of handling, no matter how easy the catch, measure, tub, etc. You don't mention any strange activity, such as breaching, flashing, isolation, piping, etc. so I would hold off on any treatments for parasites until water quality is assured great. A low KH allows for extreme changes in pH, morning to evening, which is very stressful on the fish, but also on the filter bacteria. Ammonia burns the skin, just like it burns human nasal membranes and lungs. You say the "water parameters was normal" but that doesn't tell us what the actual numbers are and without test numbers it doesn't mean much.

It is always easier and cheaper to fix the water than to fix the fish, and without good water the fish will have a hard time healing. So please provide test numbers for ammonia, nitrite, pH morning (sunup or close) and evening (sundown or close) or pH and KH and water temperature. After seeing what the environment is like we can pursue other possibilities.
      Hi Richard, thanks for your reply

i'm not so sure about the stress but i ask around and my japanese koi friend said that it can be caused by parasite so you have point mentioning that
      i've been through so many test kits at first and second year of my koi keeping
      never test the pH, ammonia, nitrate anymore since they always read the same and been doing routine cleaning every 2 months
      last time i only test oxygen and tds level 2 months ago, they still read the same about 7.5ppm for O2 and around 75-80ppm for tds
      for temp since i have installed chiller they always between 25-26C all day with max 0.5Celcius different in a day,
      so i really dont think water parameter was the issue
      i totally agree with you with keeping the water is a major issue in koi keeping
      i really never had this kinda problem before, if the fish was sick or stress with symtom i think the problem will be solve fast
      but this fish is eating like a pig and growing so fast (already 70+cm for 20 months age) and swim normally
      anyway i already found out what substance in the shot (or so i think so), it was TOLFADINE (NSAID injection). have you heard about it?

best reg
      han