• Piratey
  • Poorly
  • Sad
  • Secret
  • Shy
  • Sneaky
  • Tired
  • Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Aqua Studio RDF- Who is running one ?

wildwolfdisco is offline Member
      This user has no status.

Feeling:
      ----

Quote Originally Posted by headman View Post
      The FREE and Aqua Studios are made by different companies so that is why I’m asking. They look very similar.... so I reached out to Aqua Studios to verify this information and they confirmed they manufacture their own unit. They also stated that we can see the difference in detail in the control unit. I’m so tempted to get one
      Manufacture as in having their own factory? I doubt it. If this was a proprietary unit own by Aqua Studio, why does BeyondKoi(who is the distributor in the US for Free Drum Filter) have the an identical product in the market WAY before Aqua Studio? The latter also seems to have some type of operation running in Vietnam. Most likely this comes from a bigger player that produces and allows smaller distributor to make modification to it. The only thing that was design by Aqua is probably the control box

Jammyauto is offline Member
      This user has no status.

Feeling:
      ----

Did you receive it yet? If so what do you think?
      Yes I did receive it but I had to leave right after I received it for the east coast for a couple weeks. I'll be home on 3/29 and I will post up pics when I install the unit.

headman is offline Senior Member
      This user has no status.

Feeling:
      ----

Quote Originally Posted by wildwolfdisco View Post
      Manufacture as in having their own factory? I doubt it. If this was a proprietary unit own by Aqua Studio, why does BeyondKoi(who is the distributor in the US for Free Drum Filter) have the an identical product in the market WAY before Aqua Studio? The latter also seems to have some type of operation running in Vietnam. Most likely this comes from a bigger player that produces and allows smaller distributor to make modification to it. The only thing that was design by Aqua is probably the control box
      I think you’re right that someone bigger probably makes them and changes a few things so these companies can call them their own. I do see some little difference such as the big blue gear

Nuspeed007 is online now Senior Member
      This user has no status.

Feeling:
      ----

I think you’re right that someone bigger probably makes them and changes a few things so these companies can call them their own. I do see some little difference such as the big blue gear
      The local koi vendor has been running a dozen of the Aqua Studio RDFs since early 2019 with zero hiccup. The RDF are in between the concrete tanks, not entirely sealed/covered, I think when it rains they will get water all over the place. I peek around for 12 months and they are solid as ever. All their screws are stainless, no rust streak/stain from those holes. The only thing that is iffy about it is the spray pump, that is not factory tested with the unit. Also those spray pump is not meant for aqueous saline operation, the plug wont last long due to galvanic corrosion. They are low on labor resource so they don't do their annual screen muriatic acid passivation. The blue gear is fairly robust, I don't see any wear & tear after the first 18 months. Ob course if the drum is bind / stuck then between SS and hard plastic I would not bet on the latter. I know that there are atleast 2 koi owners with FREE RDF in the Bay Area, it is a hefty investment for the hobby but the technology simplifies ton of labor, detritus extraction methodology... It is not a requirement for my pond mutt collection, however they appreciate the water condition improvement. Cheers

This user has no status.

Feeling:
      ----

Quote Originally Posted by Jammyauto View Post
      Yes I did receive it but I had to leave right after I received it for the east coast for a couple weeks. I'll be home on 3/29 and I will post up pics when I install the unit.
      @Jammyauto, I build a rebar 4" thick concrete pad then epoxy a marble slab on top for the RDF foot print. It is difficult to level the concrete pad, so look/get a used marble slab and that will be precisely level to you liking.

This user has no status.

Feeling:
      ----

Well... I went ahead and bought the Aqua Studio- 35. I wasnít sure about it because of the lack of ďhands onĒ information. My wife is pushing me to get the pond finished/fixed since we are having the backyard paved in about 6 weeks. I did email AS and asked for an extra ďblue gearĒ since itís made of plastic and the drum gear is stainless steel. Now I have to re-design my pond setup. I think my head is going to explode Thank every that I spoke to for the help and for the information. I hope this thing is a beast.

BeyondKoi is offline Supporting Member
      This user has no status.

Feeling:
      ----

Hi all,

This is Kevin Tran, owner of Beyondkoi, the distributor of FREEDrum Filter. I see that there were some questions about our FREEDrum filter in this post - and I am very happy to answer these questions. However, as the OP was originally asking about another filter, and not about our FREEDrum filter, I will not answer them in this post. This is only out of respect for the OP as to not hijack his topic. The only thing I would like to clarify is that FREEDrum is not related to the Drum filter in the subject of this post. FREEDrum is a separate and totally different company with our own products. Please feel free to call, PM or email me at anytime for all of the questions that you may have and I will be very happy to provide you with all of the information that you are looking for. My contact information is below.
      Thank you and happy ponding.

Kevin Tran

Beyondkoi, LLC
      www.beyondkoi.com
      Phone: 703-755-0065
      Email: Support@beyondkoi.com

Beyondkoi, LLC

www.beyondkoi.com
      www.facebook.com/beyondkoi

This user has no status.

Feeling:
      ----

Just received it this am ... Iíll have to get some friends to help out it on my gorilla cart and move it to the back yard. I still have to pour my slab to run this gravity fed. I need to measure the waterline to see how deep of a hole needs to be... now that the drum is here I can take that measurement. I looked at the pdf aqua studios sent me but contradicted itself with the exact line. One photo shows at the top of the waste and the second photo shows the middle of the waste tray. Iíll have to contact AS to clarify. Iíll post what I mean.
      Attached Images Attached Images     

This user has no status.

Feeling:
      ----

Aqua studios says one is with the pump off and the other is when it’s running (max and min) ��

This user has no status.

Feeling:
      ----

Aqua studios says one is with the pump off and the other is when it’s running (max and min) ��
      I would not operate the RDF in the 6-8" draw down zone, 2-3" is a safe, starting point. I leave a white pvc marker in the pond where the RDF waste tray level is, so that the pond level is never 8" below that. Then from there you can determine your optimum pond level with your flow. Measure twice when you park the RDF, as the manual suggest the top of the waste tray is your pond static level.

icu2 is online now Administrator ~ WWKC Treasurer
      is playing on Koiphen

Feeling:
      Friendly

Quote Originally Posted by Nuspeed007 View Post
      I would not operate the RDF in the 6-8" draw down zone, 2-3" is a safe, starting point. I leave a white pvc marker in the pond where the RDF waste tray level is, so that the pond level is never 8" below that. Then from there you can determine your optimum pond level with your flow. Measure twice when you park the RDF, as the manual suggest the top of the waste tray is your pond static level.
      I'm curious what is the reason not to operate the RDF with 6"-8" (or more) draw down level?
      --Steve

This user has no status.

Feeling:
      ----

Quote Originally Posted by icu2 View Post
      I'm curious what is the reason not to operate the RDF with 6"-8" (or more) draw down level?
      Depend on the pond volume Steve, if the pond has auto fill then it mitigates the (waste) water depletion. I notice in small pond 3-4K with 50 gallons daily waste discharge, the RDF low water triggers the spray pump more often then pond level drops more rapidly. Worse scenario is that if the pond level is 8" below the waste tray line, the pump draw down introduces air to the line. Pond owner with massive turn over usually have a T to vent their pump output.

tbullard is offline Senior Member
      This user has no status.

Feeling:
      ----

Quote Originally Posted by BeyondKoi View Post
      Hi all,

This is Kevin Tran, owner of Beyondkoi, the distributor of FREEDrum Filter. I see that there were some questions about our FREEDrum filter in this post - and I am very happy to answer these questions. However, as the OP was originally asking about another filter, and not about our FREEDrum filter, I will not answer them in this post. This is only out of respect for the OP as to not hijack his topic. The only thing I would like to clarify is that FREEDrum is not related to the Drum filter in the subject of this post. FREEDrum is a separate and totally different company with our own products. Please feel free to call, PM or email me at anytime for all of the questions that you may have and I will be very happy to provide you with all of the information that you are looking for. My contact information is below.
      Thank you and happy ponding.

Kevin Tran

Beyondkoi, LLC
      www.beyondkoi.com
      Are the prices publicly available for these units or just on a need to know basis?

coolwon is online now Senior Member
      is Garfield is my name DIY is my
      game

Feeling:
      Cool

Just received it this am ... Iíll have to get some friends to help out it on my gorilla cart and move it to the back yard. I still have to pour my slab to run this gravity fed. I need to measure the waterline to see how deep of a hole needs to be... now that the drum is here I can take that measurement. I looked at the pdf aqua studios sent me but contradicted itself with the exact line. One photo shows at the top of the waste and the second photo shows the middle of the waste tray. Iíll have to contact AS to clarify. Iíll post what I mean.
      One inlet above the other inlet, cramped for space . .
      Find more about Weather in Durban, ZA

This user has no status.

Feeling:
      ----

Just received it this am ... I’ll have to get some friends to help out it on my gorilla cart and move it to the back yard. I still have to pour my slab to run this gravity fed. I need to measure the waterline to see how deep of a hole needs to be... now that the drum is here I can take that measurement. I looked at the pdf aqua studios sent me but contradicted itself with the exact line. One photo shows at the top of the waste and the second photo shows the middle of the waste tray. I’ll have to contact AS to clarify. I’ll post what I mean.
      that thing looks nice still waiting for mine

This user has no status.

Feeling:
      ----

Some other photos when I unpacked it. Are all waste trays designed similar to this one? You think things might collect in the sides
      Attached Images Attached Images      

batman is offline Senior Member
      This user has no status.

Feeling:
      ----

Updates?
      The real Batman wears polyester! Don't be fooled by the plastic imposter.

This user has no status.

Feeling:
      ----

Quote Originally Posted by batman View Post
      Updates?
      Yes sir, working like a charm. Previously my water was already every good but this raised the bar a lot more. Using a no niche skimmer without the basket, handles citrus flowers like a champ.

The unit itself was 279 lbs with water it easily goes over 300

https://youtu.be/7Yy32ly7jvo

This user has no status.

Feeling:
      ----

Name:  IMG_0317.jpg
Views: 187
Size:  198.5 KB

This is what the brand new media looked in under a week. The bottom one not the top one. Turned dark really fast
      Last edited by wildwolfdisco; 04-23-2021 at 09:54 PM.

batman is offline Senior Member
      This user has no status.

Feeling:
      ----

Thank You - Excellent review of build details shown in the video. Quality looks top notch.
      The real Batman wears polyester! Don't be fooled by the plastic imposter.

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast