• Piratey
  • Poorly
  • Sad
  • Secret
  • Shy
  • Sneaky
  • Tired
  • Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Aqua Studio RDF- Who is running one ?

Nuspeed007 is offline Senior Member
      This user has no status.

Feeling:
      ----

This is my 2 cent review of the FREE35 RDF. This unit is deployed in a 7Kish koi pond since Sept 2020 in NorCal. My local koi vendor upgrades their filter topology to equivalent/similar to aqua studio RDF in 2019 and I can see the clarity improvement in 3 months. Keep in mind that their water clarity was pretty good just a slight hint of green from sun light exposure, the RDF renders the water gin gin clear. Not only that the RDF saves them 50% reduction in cleaning resource, but for those who has a habit of overfeeding your tosai, nisai... flock the RDF chucks along fine with super flow, detritus, leaves and string algea... Both brand RDF is heavy duty built, little or no flex in the main housing. The hand weld beads is artistically articulated. It is a challenge to hermetically weld in a box environment, they do very good and through job. The controller box is a work of art, look at the interior in fine detail. The electronic components & layout are few level better than the one on ebay. The relays & switches are Omron, which is the industrial workhorse for instrument grade equipment. The FREE RDF has the Oriental Motor from Japan, Aqua Studio has the Bonfiglioli. I chose the FREE because it is 99% SS, the big spur gear from Aqua Studio is not. I test the FREE controller box both manual and automatic mode, the timer is very precise after a week of testing. I end up leaving it in automatic mode with the sensors in the middle of water level. The FREE35 is rated at 9KGH gravity fed with two 4" & two 2" inputs. I run 8KGPH without any issue and I don't doubt pushing it to 10K, it will handle fine. The screen is very robust with the supporting cage, I don't think that it needs the annual acidic cleaning routine. I think just a garden hose spray would be adequate for cosmetic cleaning purpose. 2 years part warranty is a good insurance policy to have, I am very satisfy with my FREE RDF look, performance and value. ps The beyond koi rep is on Koiphen, he is very knowledgeable, resourceful with all the topic.

batman is offline Senior Member
      This user has no status.

Feeling:
      ----

Only $600? How much is shipping?

I've seen many Profidrums and none of the other two mentioned. From photos they appear to very high quality but only a close in person inspection reveals all.

Both of the Vietnamese drums have better controls (excellent) compared to a Profidrum.

I'm concerned the plastic blue gear on the very thin metal drum ring gear will be a wear point (Aqua Studio). Even under very little load metal on plastic on a very small contact point will wear. Perhaps the plastic gear can be flipped over when worn to extend life. I'd order 1 or 2 spares with the drum.

The Free RDF has a metal pinion drive gear. Profidrum gearbox is direct coupled to the drum and the torque loading on stop and starts is high. Both of the others use a drum ring gear driven by a pinion gear on the gearbox output shaft. Loading is minimal here. Aqua Studio appears to have a substantial gearbox motor combination. No photos of the Free RDF gearbox.

The Vietnamese drums appear to be very high quality. If the quality proves itself over time and shipped by container to keep costs low they probably will displace the Euro drums in the US.
      Attached Images Attached Images  
      Last edited by batman; 03-18-2021 at 05:34 PM.
      The real Batman wears polyester! Don't be fooled by the plastic imposter.

coolwon is offline Senior Member
      is Garfield is my name DIY is my
      game

Feeling:
      Cool

Quote Originally Posted by batman View Post

I've seen many Profidrums and none of the other two mentioned. From photos they appear to very high quality but only a close in person inspection reveals all.

Both of the Vietnamese drums have better controls (excellent) compared to a Profidrum.

I'm concerned the plastic blue gear on the very thin metal drum ring gear will be a wear point (Aqua Studio). Even under very little load metal on plastic on a very small contact point will wear. Perhaps the plastic gear can be flipped over when worn to extend life. I'd order 1 or 2 spares with the drum.

The Free RDF has a metal pinion drive gear. Profidrum gearbox is direct coupled to the drum and the torque loading on stop and starts is high. Both of the others use a drum ring gear driven by a pinion gear on the gearbox output shaft. Loading is minimal here. Aqua Studio appears to have a substantial gearbox motor combination. No photos of the Free RDF gearbox.

The Vietnamese drums appear to very high quality. If the quality proves itself over time and shipped by container to keep costs low they probably will displace the Euro drums in the US.

Could it be a problem if the drum bearings seize, the torque of the motor could tear the machined blue gears tooth or teeth at the point of contact with the metal

gears teeth.

Then again the motor overload could trip the motor, if correctly set and sensitive and quick enough.
      Find more about Weather in Durban, ZA

wildwolfdisco is offline Member
      This user has no status.

Feeling:
      ----

Quote Originally Posted by Nuspeed007 View Post
      This is my 2 cent review of the FREE35 RDF. This unit is deployed in a 7Kish koi pond since Sept 2020 in NorCal. My local koi vendor upgrades their filter topology to equivalent/similar to aqua studio RDF in 2019 and I can see the clarity improvement in 3 months. Keep in mind that their water clarity was pretty good just a slight hint of green from sun light exposure, the RDF renders the water gin gin clear. Not only that the RDF saves them 50% reduction in cleaning resource, but for those who has a habit of overfeeding your tosai, nisai... flock the RDF chucks along fine with super flow, detritus, leaves and string algea... Both brand RDF is heavy duty built, little or no flex in the main housing. The hand weld beads is artistically articulated. It is a challenge to hermetically weld in a box environment, they do very good and through job. The controller box is a work of art, look at the interior in fine detail. The electronic components & layout are few level better than the one on ebay. The relays & switches are Omron, which is the industrial workhorse for instrument grade equipment. The FREE RDF has the Oriental Motor from Japan, Aqua Studio has the Bonfiglioli. I chose the FREE because it is 99% SS, the big spur gear from Aqua Studio is not. I test the FREE controller box both manual and automatic mode, the timer is very precise after a week of testing. I end up leaving it in automatic mode with the sensors in the middle of water level. The FREE35 is rated at 9KGH gravity fed with two 4" & two 2" inputs. I run 8KGPH without any issue and I don't doubt pushing it to 10K, it will handle fine. The screen is very robust with the supporting cage, I don't think that it needs the annual acidic cleaning routine. I think just a garden hose spray would be adequate for cosmetic cleaning purpose. 2 years part warranty is a good insurance policy to have, I am very satisfy with my FREE RDF look, performance and value. ps The beyond koi rep is on Koiphen, he is very knowledgeable, resourceful with all the topic.
      First of all thank you for taking the time to respond.

When you describe the controller box as a work of art, which unit are you referring to or both? Just looking at the control box from my novice perspective, I feel the aqua studio version seems a bit more complex and up to date. Are there any significant difference between Oriental and Bonfiglioli in terms of quality and reliability? But given the 2 years warranty they provide, I shouldn't have anything to worry about. Also hearing about many people have already using it gives me extra assurance as well. I actually spoke with both vendor and they both are very knowledgeable and so willing to provide to give feedback, which makes me feel kind of bad I could only order from one.

This user has no status.

Feeling:
      ----

Quote Originally Posted by batman View Post

The Vietnamese drums appear to be very high quality. If the quality proves itself over time and shipped by container to keep costs low they probably will displace the Euro drums in the US.
      Thank you for doing the comparison.

Yes on playitkoi.com the eco 65/40 comes down to $4987 so the differences now is just 500. But the flow rate is only 12k lower than the 15k that their counterparts offer.

This user has no status.

Feeling:
      ----

Do you believe the parts are interchangeable between the beyond and aqua?

jcardona1 is offline Senior Member
      This user has no status.

Feeling:
      ----

Yeaaaah this totally isn't a paid product placement

Sent from my SM-G973U using Tapatalk
      ~ Jose

This user has no status.

Feeling:
      ----

Both unit controller box is fairly similar of the Omron goodies, components layout, HD wire gauge... From a compatibility point of view the two output are the drum motor & spray pump. The FREE uses a 90 watt AC motor (Oriental Motor/Japan) and 1/3-1/2 HP (110v) stand alone pressure pump. I did not have time to delve into the Aqua Studio hardware accessory, but you should ask/confirm with the source. FREE website has the controller internal pix, check it out. Or PM I will send you my pix of what I have. Cheers

This user has no status.

Feeling:
      ----

Quote Originally Posted by wildwolfdisco View Post
      Do you believe the parts are interchangeable between the beyond and aqua?
      Both unit controller box is fairly similar of the Omron goodies, components layout, HD wire gauge... From a compatibility point of view the two output are the drum motor & spray pump. The FREE uses a 90 watt AC motor (Oriental Motor/Japan) and 1/3-1/2 HP (110v) stand alone pressure pump. I did not have time to delve into the Aqua Studio hardware accessory, but you should ask/confirm with the source. FREE website has the controller internal pix, check it out. Or PM I will send you my pix of what I have. Cheers

This user has no status.

Feeling:
      ----

Quote Originally Posted by jcardona1 View Post
      Yeaaaah this totally isn't a paid product placement

Sent from my SM-G973U using Tapatalk
      Jose,
      I should get a commission if the sale materialized hah, I certainly hope that Beyond Koi & Aqua Studio reps are following this thread.

icu2 is online now Administrator ~ WWKC Treasurer
      ~ 2021 KPOTY
      is playing on Koiphen

Feeling:
      Friendly

--Steve
      ..WWKC Treasurer

Dabar is offline Junior Member
      This user has no status.

Feeling:
      ----

As mentioned before the controllers from Vietnam do not appear to have any sort of testing agency approval there was a recent post of another brand starting on fire. Testing agency approval assures public safety and adds cost to a unit Profi drum has a CE testing agency approval. both units appear to use non standard electrical plugs available in the US. The beyond koi controller appears to have low end relays at bottom to contron multiple functions. Profi has a bonded screen so it stays in place and will not billow out like a balloon. One of the drums bolts together instead of being welded for strength. Check out the spray bar nozzles profi has easy to service parts. The Vietnam units do use a very well built clamp to secure the screen could tear after biting into screen to secure it. another consideration is how long each unit has been sold in the US

This user has no status.

Feeling:
      ----

The Free Drum (Beyond Koi) controls have a board with what appears to be Omron icecube relays. They are absolutely not low end and appropriate if within load specs. Even better if user replaceable but they appear to be PCB type in photo. The other larger motor starter relays with overloads appear to be high end devices.

Perhaps someone from the company can elaborate?
      Last edited by batman; 03-19-2021 at 01:24 PM.

headman is offline Senior Member
      This user has no status.

Feeling:
      ----

Quote Originally Posted by Jammyauto View Post
      I just placed my order. The guy who is selling them in the US is in San Francisco. His name is Anh Vu. He says he has all the replacement parts in stock here in the US. He offered to have one made for me that had a single 3" inlet for my skimmer rather than the two 2" skimmer inlets. He says I will have it in two weeks. Total with shipping and sales tax for the 35 model was $2750. The website checkout uses paypal so I have protection from both paypal and my CC company. I'll post up to this thread when it shows up.
      Did you receive it yet? If so what do you think?

game

Feeling:
      Cool

How do Chinese Omron,compare with Japanese Omron?

This user has no status.

Feeling:
      ----

If it's from licensed and inspected Omron manufactures it's not an issue. The problems are the many counterfeit knockoffs in the supply chain that are not the same quality. This is true for many brand names.

I've been retired several years and either the counterfeits are getting less numerous or the quality differences are getting less. Years ago they were so poorly made they were easy to spot.
      Last edited by batman; 03-20-2021 at 08:58 AM.

game

Feeling:
      Cool

Chinese Omron

Absolute bargains here, across the pond.

Still to build up the board.
      Last edited by coolwon; 03-20-2021 at 07:01 PM.

This user has no status.

Feeling:
      ----

So has anyone actually bought one yet and running it?

This user has no status.

Feeling:
      ----

Quote Originally Posted by headman View Post
      So has anyone actually bought one yet and running it?
      Are you asking for a review or just asking if anyone will actually receive the product? Check out the previous page somebody already did a comprehensive review on it already

This user has no status.

Feeling:
      ----

Quote Originally Posted by wildwolfdisco View Post
      Are you asking for a review or just asking if anyone will actually receive the product? Check out the previous page somebody already did a comprehensive review on it already
      The FREE and Aqua Studios are made by different companies so that is why I’m asking. They look very similar.... so I reached out to Aqua Studios to verify this information and they confirmed they manufacture their own unit. They also stated that we can see the difference in detail in the control unit. I’m so tempted to get one

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast