• Sneaky
  • Tired

Thread: Hello from Scotland.

Mima is offline Junior Member
      This user has no status.

Feeling:
      ----

Hello from Scotland.

Thanks for letting me join. I am in need of help please. We have a 4 year old pond, the weather had turned mild then we got snow. We had the air bubbles on so the pond didnít ice over completely. It thawed out yesterday and one of our 12 year old goldfish had died and one of our 7 year old koi are floating on their side, they can still swim, but mainly on their side. No other symptoms I can see. Is there anything we can do to help it please?
      Thanks.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Goki56 is online now Administrator ~ WWKC BOD ~ WWKC Secretary ~ 2020 KPOTY
      This user has no status.

Feeling:
      Friendly

Mima. I'm going to move your thread to Emergency Forum, as I think it'll get more exposure there...
      Gordana

This user has no status.

Feeling:
      ----

Quote Originally Posted by Goki56 View Post
      Mima. I'm going to move your thread to Emergency Forum, as I think it'll get more exposure there...
      Thank you

RichToyBox is offline Administrator ~
      Koi Health Care Committee Member
      This user has no status.

Feeling:
      Awesome

What was the temperature before the cold spell? It sounds like it could be susceptibility to the cold, but it would have had to undergo some temperature fall for that to be the case. If that is the case, the best treatment is to bring the koi inside a garage or house where it can be housed for the rest of the winter at a higher temperature. Once warmed if this is the case, the fish will return to normal, but will not likely be able to go back to a cold pond. If you move it in, you will need to provide for good filtration to keep good water quality numbers.

Can you provide test numbers for ammonia, nitrite, high range pH, KH and temperature? If you decide to bring the fish inside, I would get a good supply of a good ammonia binding dechlorinator, like SeaChem Safe, Prime, Cloram-x, and a SeaChem Ammonia Alert Card to assure the ammonia is not toxic during filter startup.

"Our goal is to assist with emergency and Koi health issues, as well as educate on best practices. Please help us gain a clear picture by giving the original poster time to answer our questions before offering opinions and suggested treatments."

Zone 7 A/B
      Keep your words sweet. You never know when you may have to eat them.
      Richard

This user has no status.

Feeling:
      ----

Hi there. Apologies for my delayed reply! In my panic, I completely forgot to check back here. We brought the fish in, but he didnít not recover and died. Iím not sure if the exact temps, but the fish had become more active again because it had been so mild. So the snow coming was unexpected. The pond has never frozen over in the 4 years we have had this one built. And yet it was almost completely frozen, except from the area where the air stone bubbles rose to the surface. We have decided to get a pond heater for next winter, so we can maintain the temps if they rise then fall again.
      Thank you so much for your help.