• Sneaky
  • Tired

Thread: Emergency. Please help me identify these parasites

two_wheeled is offline Senior Member
      is TGIF

Feeling:
      Meh

Question Emergency. Please help me identify these parasites

My koi are flashing like crazy and occasionally jumping. None are gasping for air, but most are flashing. This definitely has to be a parasite issue.
      I performed a scrape and am having difficulty identifying these things. Can you help?

My water parameters are:
      • temperature: 50 F
      • ph 8
      • ammonia 0
      • nitrite 0
      • nitrate 40

(and except for temperature it's been very steady at those numbers for over a year.)

Video 1: 400X magnification
      One perfectly round structure swims by the needle at 5 seconds. I have lots of these.
      A second swims by at 10 seconds. It seems to have a tail. This is the only one I found.
      https://youtu.be/y0VivDai0nk

Video 2: 400X magnification
      Another perfectly round little jerk. I have lots of these, but most are not moving.
      https://youtu.be/8wAWj7eOwtk

Video 3: 100X magnification
      I have no idea what this is! Took me a minute to realize it's swimming around a larger structure that's identical to it, but has burst open.
      https://youtu.be/yIVNddv5iBA

Thanks in advance.
      Last edited by two_wheeled; 4 Weeks Ago at 11:51 AM. Reason: Fixed the link for video#3
      -Steve in Phx.
      Novice Extraordinaire

kdh is offline Senior Member
      This user has no status.

Feeling:
      ----

RichToyBox is offline Administrator ~
      Koi Health Care Committee Member
      This user has no status.

Feeling:
      Awesome

I am not sure of the first two, but the third would appear to be ich, and for ich, I prefer to use salt as the treatment as the ich goes through three different stages in its lifecycle, with only one phase being successfully killed, but salt maintained at 0.3% (2.5 pounds per 100 gallons) will take care of them as they go through the different stages. This level of salinity used to be a good treatment for many of the parasites, but I think it needs to be added all at once to be effective. I don''t see any flukes in the slides which would require a different approach.

"Our goal is to assist with emergency and Koi health issues, as well as educate on best practices. Please help us gain a clear picture by giving the original poster time to answer our questions before offering opinions and suggested treatments."

Zone 7 A/B
      Keep your words sweet. You never know when you may have to eat them.
      Richard

SimonW is offline Senior Member
      This user has no status.

Feeling:
      ----

Agree with Richard #3.

Just one thing to add:

The round things in the first 2 videos are probably just debris, as you can see that they were floating along the water movement.

is TGIF

Feeling:
      Meh

Thanks very much guys. I've been researching this nonstop for the past couple days, trying to make sure I do the right thing here.
      The big jerks in #3 are definitely ich and I've found supporting photos and videos of the same. The smaller circles in #1 and #2 are definitely moving on their own. I was able to find lots and lots of these, moving very slowly and not always with the current. But don't match any photos I've seen of other parasites. Could these possibly be the spawn released from a mature ich after it spews out all of its misbehaved children? I dunno for sure, but I've found some simlar photos of ich on the web that might possibly support this. Just an idea.

I had just added one treatment of Microbe-Lift BSDT when I posted, so I haven't salted the pond yet because I was told I can't do that along with BSDT. I hear conflicting reports about using salt with BSDT. So any further input would be appreciated.
      Unfortunately that was the last of my BSDT supply and more won't arrive before end of week. Even Prime couldn't get it to me any earlier. So in the meantime I think I will have to move on to salt. The fish are still flashing.
      -Steve in Phx.
      Novice Extraordinaire

is TGIF

Feeling:
      Meh

I also have PP available and know how to use it.
      This article was promising, but I haven't been able to substantiate that PP is completely effective against ich.
      https://www.farmprogress.com/potassi...stops-parasite
      -Steve in Phx.
      Novice Extraordinaire

This user has no status.

Feeling:
      Awesome

Because of the life cycle of ich, the only treatment that I feel is worthy of pursuing is salt. PP and BSDT will attack those that are in the free swimming mode, but the egg mode and the encysted mode are immune, meaning that the treatments would have to be almost daily for a week or more, which would be very stressful to the fish. Salt once at 0.3% to 0.6% once and be done with everything that the BSDT would hit.

"Our goal is to assist with emergency and Koi health issues, as well as educate on best practices. Please help us gain a clear picture by giving the original poster time to answer our questions before offering opinions and suggested treatments."

Zone 7 A/B
      Richard

is TGIF

Feeling:
      Meh

Thank you!
      -Steve in Phx.
      Novice Extraordinaire

is TGIF

Feeling:
      Meh

This was my first time using salt in my pond. It seems so unusual! That's a lot of salt!
      I mixed up 30 pounds last night and monitored, then another 50 pounds this morning. My pond with filters and fountains holds almost exactly 3000 gallons, so that should be .32%
      So far so good. I'm seeing less flashing already.

I'm concerned that I likely have more parasites that I wasn't able to find on the slides. With the unknowns, would it be best to up the salt to .6%?
      -Steve in Phx.
      Novice Extraordinaire

This user has no status.

Feeling:
      Awesome

You can but I think I would just monitor and see if it takes care of all the parasites without going any further. If you don't have a salt meter, get one. It can be one of the pond type salt meters which read directly in % or ppt (.1%) or a TDS meter which generally reads in ppm up to 1000ppm (1ppt) and then switches to ppt. The TDS meters are generally cheaper, but a little more difficult to read. The meter will allow you to monitor the salinity changes due to water changes, rain, evaporation, etc. and add more if needed.

Zone 7 A/B
      Richard

is TGIF

Feeling:
      Meh

I've never seen a salinity meter before. Would this work? It doesn't mention salt/salinity so I'm guessing not.
      [amazon link]
      Or this?
      [amazon link #2]
      Or did you have something else in mind?

Thanks very much for the help.
      -Steve in Phx.
      Novice Extraordinaire

This user has no status.

Feeling:
      Awesome

That first meter will read to 0.999% which is higher than would ever be needed, and the second appears to be limited to 0.5% which to me would be marginal as there are times that salinity should be raised to around 0.8% to alleviate dropsy symptoms with large ulcers.

Zone 7 A/B
      Richard