• Sneaky
  • Tired

Thread: Ich during winter

Reeves is offline Junior Member
      This user has no status.

Feeling:
      ----

Ich during winter

Hoping to get some input- I believe my fish have ich. My newly set up indoor tank is occupied for a separate issue (though Iíll be treating them too, to be safe) and the main pond is averaging around 40-45*F.

I have filters down for winter and will recheck parameters tomorrow, but last checked in the past week and ammonia, nitrites, and nitrates were 0. Fish havenít been fed at all since the temps consistently dropped a few weeks ago. They do have aeration and a de-icer.

Iím planning to try salt but am conflicted considering what Iíve read on interactions with medications. I worry that if the salt is not effective, my fish may succumb to secondary infection since the temperature dictates a longer treatment period and removing all salt via water change will be a lengthy process prior to being able to treat with other medications.

Iíd really appreciate some advice on moving forward- I know heating will speed up the lifecycle and shorten treatment time, but I donít have a large enough separate heated space to keep them currently. I am considering setting up a larger pool but donít have any indoor space left to keep them- so not sure if a basic portable greenhouse might suffice or if there are other options that are not cost prohibitive for heating the main pond for the remainder of treatment and the season. Iíd also think it best to set up a filter and keep the water better circulated during treatment but without heating I worry about destroying my filter- are there any better options for winter filtration without heat?
      Last edited by Reeves; 01-23-2021 at 09:43 AM.

RichToyBox is offline Administrator ~
      Koi Health Care Committee Member
      This user has no status.

Feeling:
      Awesome

For ich, I am one that believes the only good treatment is salt. It is able to be held at a treatment level for long periods of time and because of the life cycle of ich, it takes time, even in hot weather to effect a complete treatment. The only treatment that I am aware of that states you should not use salt is Proform C, but contrary to the directions, John of Hanover Koi has used it with salt levels that were much higher than the salt level required for treating ich. I would go ahead with 0.3% and keep it there until mid-March or early April, then start diluting it out. The chances that you will need another med during this treatment are pretty slim and if you are afraid to use the salt plus formalin/malachite green solution, a good heavy water change of 50% will do the fish a lot of good and reduce the salinity by 50%.

"Our goal is to assist with emergency and Koi health issues, as well as educate on best practices. Please help us gain a clear picture by giving the original poster time to answer our questions before offering opinions and suggested treatments."

Zone 7 A/B
      Keep your words sweet. You never know when you may have to eat them.
      Richard

Reeves is offline Junior Member
      This user has no status.

Feeling:
      ----

Thank you! I appreciate the input. I was leaning toward salt only, but was worried it wouldnít cut it. Iíll go that route and keep a close eye on them. I picked up a few meds to have on hand if I do end up needing them, anyway.