• Amused
  • Angry
  • Annoyed
  • Awesome
  • Bemused
  • Cocky
  • Cool
  • Crazy
  • Crying
  • Depressed
  • Down
  • Drunk
  • Embarrased
  • Enraged
  • Friendly
  • Geeky
  • Godly
  • Happy
  • Hateful
  • Hungry
  • Innocent
  • Meh
  • Piratey
  • Poorly
  • Sad
  • Secret
  • Shy
  • Sneaky
  • Tired
  • Results 1 to 18 of 18

    Thread: Tancho Showa - Please give critcs

    1. #1
      Kai is offline Junior Member
      This user has no status.
       
      Feeling:
      ----
       
      Join Date
      Nov 2020
      Location
      Singapore
      Posts
      18

      Tancho Showa - Please give critcs

      It is hard to get a decent Tancho Showa at my place at a reasonable price.
      This is what was available.
      Not the perfect Tancho ( Red Circle), but skin quality is good.
      What do you think?
      Yay or Nay?
      Name:  IMG_0822.jpg
Views: 301
Size:  110.4 KB

      Name:  IMG_0819.jpg
Views: 298
Size:  85.9 KB
      Name:  IMG_0821.jpg
Views: 299
Size:  40.4 KB

    2. #2
      mplskoi is offline Supporting Member
      This user has no status.
       
      Feeling:
      ----
       
      Join Date
      Jul 2013
      Location
      Minneapolis
      Posts
      1,448
      I have been told that if the beni extends more than 5 scales up into the top of the fish, beyond what we might call the "forehead", that it is not actually a Tancho. Sorry I don't have better words or a more technical way of saying this, but I don't think that fish is a Tancho.

      FWIW, I got my hands on a pretty nice fish that I call a "Tancho" because the Beni went about 7 scales beyond where it should have. Bought it at a show from a competitor that realized his fish had no show potential. But it is technically not a Tancho.

    3. #3
      coolwon is online now Senior Member
      is Garfield is my name DIY is my
      game
       
      Feeling:
      Cool
       
      Join Date
      Feb 2016
      Location
      Durban South Africa
      Posts
      2,304
      YAY he said Nay
      Find more about Weather in Durban, ZA

    4. #4
      ChagoiLover is online now Junior Member
      This user has no status.
       
      Feeling:
      ----
       
      Join Date
      Oct 2020
      Location
      California
      Posts
      24
      Would probably need to know age, size, and a still picture to see the body conformation.

    5. #5
      Kai is offline Junior Member
      This user has no status.
       
      Feeling:
      ----
       
      Join Date
      Nov 2020
      Location
      Singapore
      Posts
      18
      Quote Originally Posted by mplskoi View Post
      I have been told that if the beni extends more than 5 scales up into the top of the fish, beyond what we might call the "forehead", that it is not actually a Tancho. Sorry I don't have better words or a more technical way of saying this, but I don't think that fish is a Tancho.

      FWIW, I got my hands on a pretty nice fish that I call a "Tancho" because the Beni went about 7 scales beyond where it should have. Bought it at a show from a competitor that realized his fish had no show potential. But it is technically not a Tancho.

      This is a valid point . The same reason why I hesitated .

    6. #6
      coolwon is online now Senior Member
      is Garfield is my name DIY is my
      game
       
      Feeling:
      Cool
       
      Join Date
      Feb 2016
      Location
      Durban South Africa
      Posts
      2,304
      The JAPANESE flag should give you some idea what a Tancho should look like.
      Find more about Weather in Durban, ZA

    7. #7
      lukef's Avatar
      lukef is offline king of the lilliputians
      This user has no status.
       
      Feeling:
      ----
       
      Join Date
      Feb 2006
      Location
      florida
      Posts
      4,297
      Tanchos are a joke. They are gimmick created by the Koi sellers. They have NO "art" aspect. And in fact are more flawed than "non-tancho" koi.
      People outside of Japan are easily influenced if they "see" how cool tancho are.
      In koi I have noticed that hi/beni is more likely to occur in greater quantity towards the head, and sumi is more likely to occur towards the tail. Tanchos are a sales strategy to get rid of the poorest patterned Gosanke. A tancho kohaku at least mimics the the Japanese Flag...Showa? and Sanke? What the hell are buyers doing? thinking?... NOT thinking.
      "Those aren't poodles. They're Dobermans with afros."

    8. #8
      coolwon is online now Senior Member
      is Garfield is my name DIY is my
      game
       
      Feeling:
      Cool
       
      Join Date
      Feb 2016
      Location
      Durban South Africa
      Posts
      2,304
      Quote Originally Posted by lukef View Post
      Tanchos are a joke. They are gimmick created by the Koi sellers. They have NO "art" aspect. And in fact are more flawed than "non-tancho" koi.
      People outside of Japan are easily influenced if they "see" how cool tancho are.
      In koi I have noticed that hi/beni is more likely to occur in greater quantity towards the head, and sumi is more likely to occur towards the tail. Tanchos are a sales strategy to get rid of the poorest patterned Gosanke. A tancho kohaku at least mimics the the Japanese Flag...Showa? and Sanke? What the hell are buyers doing? thinking?... NOT thinking.
      Maruten Showa

      Maruten Sanke.
      Find more about Weather in Durban, ZA

    9. #9
      lukef's Avatar
      lukef is offline king of the lilliputians
      This user has no status.
       
      Feeling:
      ----
       
      Join Date
      Feb 2006
      Location
      florida
      Posts
      4,297
      Quote Originally Posted by coolwon View Post
      Maruten Showa

      Maruten Sanke.
      A rose by any other name can still be a gimmick.
      I used the basic term instead of adding a layer of crap to the load of BS around Tancho.
      "Those aren't poodles. They're Dobermans with afros."

    10. #10
      kevins2ooo is offline Senior Member
      This user has no status.
       
      Feeling:
      ----
       
      Join Date
      Jul 2019
      Location
      Sacramento
      Posts
      226
      Quote Originally Posted by lukef View Post
      Tanchos are a joke. They are gimmick created by the Koi sellers. They have NO "art" aspect. And in fact are more flawed than "non-tancho" koi.
      People outside of Japan are easily influenced if they "see" how cool tancho are.
      In koi I have noticed that hi/beni is more likely to occur in greater quantity towards the head, and sumi is more likely to occur towards the tail. Tanchos are a sales strategy to get rid of the poorest patterned Gosanke. A tancho kohaku at least mimics the the Japanese Flag...Showa? and Sanke? What the hell are buyers doing? thinking?... NOT thinking.
      I take that these are all personal opinions?

    11. #11
      lukef's Avatar
      lukef is offline king of the lilliputians
      This user has no status.
       
      Feeling:
      ----
       
      Join Date
      Feb 2006
      Location
      florida
      Posts
      4,297
      Quote Originally Posted by kevins2ooo View Post
      I take that these are all personal opinions?
      If a lot of intelligent people think the same way is it a "personal opinion"? It's the intelligent opinion. Not even the fools that keep koi would ever go "Ew lookie! that's a dot head! Day is pwetty and deserve special consideration."
      No. Breeders recognise they can BS the Japanese people in to "having the japanese flag in their koi ponds." and then a group of lemmings outside of Japan show how easily they can be influenced. Dot head koi...and then the dot heads are so highly elevated that even this really pathetic beni patterned showa gets considered as a Tancho Showa (maruten bs.).
      No! people that start talking about dot head koi have been duped to an even greater degree than most koi hobbyists.
      "Those aren't poodles. They're Dobermans with afros."

    12. #12
      jcardona1's Avatar
      jcardona1 is offline Senior Member
      This user has no status.
       
      Feeling:
      ----
       
      Join Date
      Aug 2007
      Location
      CA, USA
      Posts
      894
      Quote Originally Posted by lukef View Post
      If a lot of intelligent people think the same way is it a "personal opinion"? It's the intelligent opinion. Not even the fools that keep koi would ever go "Ew lookie! that's a dot head! Day is pwetty and deserve special consideration."
      No. Breeders recognise they can BS the Japanese people in to "having the japanese flag in their koi ponds." and then a group of lemmings outside of Japan show how easily they can be influenced. Dot head koi...and then the dot heads are so highly elevated that even this really pathetic beni patterned showa gets considered as a Tancho Showa (maruten bs.).
      No! people that start talking about dot head koi have been duped to an even greater degree than most koi hobbyists.
      You sound really angry. It's just a fish that some people happen to like. Chill out.

      Sent from my SM-G973U using Tapatalk
      ~ Jose

    13. #13
      kevins2ooo is offline Senior Member
      This user has no status.
       
      Feeling:
      ----
       
      Join Date
      Jul 2019
      Location
      Sacramento
      Posts
      226
      Quote Originally Posted by lukef View Post
      If a lot of intelligent people think the same way is it a "personal opinion"? It's the intelligent opinion. Not even the fools that keep koi would ever go "Ew lookie! that's a dot head! Day is pwetty and deserve special consideration."
      No. Breeders recognise they can BS the Japanese people in to "having the japanese flag in their koi ponds." and then a group of lemmings outside of Japan show how easily they can be influenced. Dot head koi...and then the dot heads are so highly elevated that even this really pathetic beni patterned showa gets considered as a Tancho Showa (maruten bs.).
      No! people that start talking about dot head koi have been duped to an even greater degree than most koi hobbyists.
      A personal opinion can be an intelligent one, and vice versa. I am not even sure where you got the idea that it has no "art" aspect. That's why I asked if they were your personal opinion. If not then do you appreciate certain things because people say you should or you appreciate them because they speak to your heart? The art aspect is highly subjective. What is most flawed to you may not be the case for the next person.

      At the end of the day, buyers buy what they want to buy. Their money.

      Kai, for Tancho Showa, the tancho doesn't have to be perfect. The sumi could end up complimenting the imperfection perfectly. But it's hard to see anything in your pictures.
      Last edited by kevins2ooo; 01-25-2021 at 02:23 AM.

    14. #14
      coolwon is online now Senior Member
      is Garfield is my name DIY is my
      game
       
      Feeling:
      Cool
       
      Join Date
      Feb 2016
      Location
      Durban South Africa
      Posts
      2,304
      America is a divided country over a dot headed Japanese fish.

      Well I never!
      Find more about Weather in Durban, ZA

    15. #15
      mplskoi is offline Supporting Member
      This user has no status.
       
      Feeling:
      ----
       
      Join Date
      Jul 2013
      Location
      Minneapolis
      Posts
      1,448
      Our wars are coming home.
      Quote Originally Posted by coolwon View Post
      America is a divided country over a dot headed Japanese fish.

      Well I never!

    16. #16
      lukef's Avatar
      lukef is offline king of the lilliputians
      This user has no status.
       
      Feeling:
      ----
       
      Join Date
      Feb 2006
      Location
      florida
      Posts
      4,297
      Quote Originally Posted by jcardona1 View Post
      You sound really angry. It's just a fish that some people happen to like. Chill out.

      Sent from my SM-G973U using Tapatalk
      Hobbyist being duped by a genetic flaw promoted as a positive trait worth adoration, and therefore $$$.
      That's not "just a fish."
      Then again..it is "just people."
      people are so easily separated from their money.
      "Those aren't poodles. They're Dobermans with afros."

    17. #17
      coolwon is online now Senior Member
      is Garfield is my name DIY is my
      game
       
      Feeling:
      Cool
       
      Join Date
      Feb 2016
      Location
      Durban South Africa
      Posts
      2,304
      Quote Originally Posted by lukef View Post
      Hobbyist being duped by a genetic flaw promoted as a positive trait worth adoration, and therefore $$$.
      That's not "just a fish."
      Then again..it is "just people."
      people are so easily separated from their money.


      Are KOI not a genetic flaw?
      Find more about Weather in Durban, ZA

    18. #18
      kevins2ooo is offline Senior Member
      This user has no status.
       
      Feeling:
      ----
       
      Join Date
      Jul 2019
      Location
      Sacramento
      Posts
      226
      Just because you don't like a fish you consider it genetic flaw, got it...like I said, either that or you take whatever people tell you.

    Posting Permissions

    • You may not post new threads
    • You may not post replies
    • You may not post attachments
    • You may not edit your posts
    •