• Tired

Thread: Breeding behaviour every night

ibambem is offline Junior Member
      This user has no status.

Feeling:
      ----

Breeding behaviour every night

Hello!
      For some context, I live in the philippines where almost all year round, koi could spawn. I haven't tried breeding koi, but I have been breeding goldfish for almost a year now.
      I have these 3 which I'm sure are mature enough to breed. One night they started to chase one another but when the sun rises, they act normal until night comes again.
      After a few days, I started putting breeding mops around the pond to see if they will breed but nothing happens. They look like theyre trying but couldnt even pin down the female to the mop.
      Theyve been like this for a week now and Ive been doing the same, putting mops and turning off the pump etc.
      Anyone know what should I do? Will they eventually spawn or 1 week of trying to breed is too long for this to be successful?

• Remove Ads
        Advertising from Google
        Promoting Koi and Pond
        keeping since 2007

Matt24 is offline Senior Member
      is watchin' em grow

Feeling:
      ----

Besides spawning mops or other spawning material, here are some things they like for spawning:
      • Water temperature in the 18-26 C range (64-79 F) preferably 20-24 C range (68-75 F)
      • Some sort of change: a substantial water change or a rain storm (doesn't even have to rain much, just the change in barometric pressure)
      • The koi to be feeling healthy and good
      • At least one male and at least one female preferably at least 3 years old

Hope they will get busy for you.

ibambem is offline Junior Member
      This user has no status.

Feeling:
      ----

Hi! Thank you for the tips. I have a heater on 24 hours set at 25C. I have noticed yesterday that when I added water to somewhat simulate rainstorm since I reduced the water a week ago ang slowly add water every night, they suddenly start their breeding behaviour but doesnt really go to the point where the female lay eggs and will stop chasing during daytime.
      Based on your experience, is 1 week too long for them to just chase around and not start breeding?

is watchin' em grow

Feeling:
      ----

If they don't breed one night/morning, it is normal for them to settle down shortly after daylight ... until near dark the next evening.

I don't think I've ever had mine chase around for a week. Once they show that behavior, they either spawn within a couple of days or stop. So I have not seen the prolonged behavior you are seeing.

In my experience, the beginning of spawning has started as early as midnight to as late as 7:00 am, after daylight. The only exception was during a mid-afternoon rainstorm.

Macdogskip is offline Junior Member
      This user has no status.

Feeling:
      ----

Hi there, This is my 1st time trying to breed, I have had a similar experience with my 3 yr old fish in a 1500 litre tank spawning tank, They are about 8 to 10 inches long and have since i turned the heater up to 22 celsius they been displaying chasing and bashing every night for a week but I have not seen one egg, then the behaviour stopped. I take the spawning material out at 7am and zero eggs . I don't understand what had happened. I am assuming they are too immature yet or maybe only released a v small number of eggs , but the fact I didn't see one egg on any of the spawning material made me think that possibly they didn't spawn. Would it be possible they displayed this behavious without releasing eggs? I have put them back in their usual home without a heater and will try again soon in the spawning tank.

Any insights would be greatly appreciated! We have moved the fish out,

EmeraldDragon is offline Senior Member
      This user has no status.

Feeling:
      Happy

Mine been doing that for two to three weeks straight, but nothing happens. LOL!
      -=[Sunny]=-
      I have served, I have fought to defend the rights and freedom of all Americans. I am a proud Retired Veteran!

is watchin' em grow

Feeling:
      ----

Quote Originally Posted by Macdogskip View Post
      ... 3 yr old fish ... 8 to 10 inches long ... I am assuming they are too immature yet. ... Would it be possible they displayed this behavious without releasing eggs? ...
      Yes that can happen though rare. Flirting, following, and occasional splashes happen a lot. But after the really vigorous spawning behavior begins, I only recall one occasion when it did not result in a spawn.

Three year old koi can certainly spawn. However, they are normally more like in the 16"-22" range by that age. I don't know if 8-10" koi at that age are still immature.
      Last edited by Matt24; 05-27-2021 at 10:40 PM.

This user has no status.

Feeling:
      Happy

Quote Originally Posted by Matt24 View Post
      Three year old koi can certainly spawn. However, they are normally more like in the 16"-22" range by that age. I don't know if 8-10" koi at that age are still immature.
      Mine is about a little longer than 10", they are closer to 12". So I don't expect them to spawn. But if they do I'll be scrambling big.
      -=[Sunny]=-
      I have served, I have fought to defend the rights and freedom of all Americans. I am a proud Retired Veteran!

is watchin' em grow

Feeling:
      ----

Quote Originally Posted by EmeraldDragon View Post
      Mine is about a little longer than 10", they are closer to 12". So I don't expect them to spawn. But if they do I'll be scrambling big.
      When my big koi have flock spawned, I have seen one year old males as small as 9-10” participate. I have no way of knowing if they passed on seed.

This user has no status.

Feeling:
      Happy

Quote Originally Posted by Matt24 View Post
      When my big koi have flock spawned, I have seen one year old males as small as 9-10” participate. I have no way of knowing if they passed on seed.
      Well, we’ll just have to wait and see. LOL!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
      -=[Sunny]=-

• Remove Ads
        Advertising from Google
        Promoting Koi and Pond
        keeping since 2007