• Tired

Thread: String algae in SC

daniel95 is offline Junior Member
      is Australian!

Feeling:
      ----

String algae in SC

Hi all,

I currently have an issue with string algae growing in my IBC settlement chamber - blocking up the screen which needs cleaning everyday.

My main pond is 5000g - with goldfish and turtles. I have no string algae in the main pond as the algae is the main part of the turtles diet and is grazed heavily, they keep it maintained to only a millimetre or two therefore never getting long. But in my settlement chamber, the turtles can't get to so it grows on the side walls very fast and then clogs the screen which goes to the s&g filters.

Any suggestions on stopping this? I'm wondering if trying to enclose the SC so no light gets in it may help? But also not sure if that would work.

Would love to get a sieve/screen filter but apparently they are no longer available in Australia, have emailed multiple businesses which said they don't import anymore.

Thankyou,
      Daniel.

pickerel is online now Supporting Member
      is enjoying new pond

Feeling:
      Happy

Hydrogen Peroxide is the usual treatment for string algae; it kills it quickly. I think I used 2 quarts of 3% in my 2000 gal. pond.

kimini is offline Senior Member
      This user has no status.

Feeling:
      ----

String algae, our nemesis, is a strange and quirky issue, affecting some terribly, others not at all, and many taking credit for their clear water with various claims of faith and mysticism. In most ponds, it's an issue during the first few years after it's built, but then gradually goes away. There are tons of theories about what's going on but no one's really nailed it. So, yes, hydrogen peroxide will kill it off for a while, but doesn't prevent it from reoccurring.

is Australian!

Feeling:
      ----

Is there a way to use hydrogen peroxide just in the settlement chamber? I don’t have long strands of it in the main pond as the turtles maintain it so would hate to rid them of their food source.

*Ci* is online now Senior Member
      is in winter mode

Feeling:
      Friendly

I had IBC totes for goldfish fry at one point and they were fairly algae free - I had spray painted them black, though they had tranparent lids. I’ll bet if you isolated your SC, cleaned out all the existing algae and painted or covered them as you mentioned, that it would go far in preventing another outbreak.

This user has no status.

Feeling:
      ----

"yes but"

You'd have to isolate the settlement chamber for as long as you want it to "soak", a couple hours will probably do it. After some amount of time (unsure how long) it'll have decomposed and it's fine to start up the pump again, or just drain the chamber to make sure it doesn't get into the pond.
      Last edited by kimini; 1 Day Ago at 06:22 PM.

is Australian!

Feeling:
      ----

Quote Originally Posted by *Ci* View Post
      I had IBC totes for goldfish fry at one point and they were fairly algae free - I had spray painted them black, though they had tranparent lids. Iíll bet if you isolated your SC, cleaned out all the existing algae and painted or covered them as you mentioned, that it would go far in preventing another outbreak.
      I might give this a shot too. Did you hand paint or spray? Trying to work out how to stop spray drift going into the pond.

is Australian!

Feeling:
      ----

Quote Originally Posted by kimini View Post
      "yes but"

You'd have to isolate the settlement chamber for as long as you want it to "soak", a couple hours will probably do it. After some amount of time (unsure how long) it'll have decomposed and it's fine to start up the pump again, or just drain the chamber to make sure it doesn't get into the pond.
      This might be an idea. I can bypass the settlement chamber and just use the mid water intake for the few hours it needs.

I know this question might not be answerable due to a lot of other external factors.. but how often do people use hydrogen peroxide on their ponds? Is it more often weekly or a monthly?

cottagefog is offline Senior Member
      This user has no status.

Feeling:
      ----

I go through a few gallon jugs of Baquacil each season. It is a 27% hydrogen peroxide product. I use 1 cup per 2000 gallons to control my string algae.

If I have a heavy bloom I will pour it in every other day. It seems to control the string algae pretty well. Typically 2 or 3 applications kills it back.

This user has no status.

Feeling:
      ----

Quote Originally Posted by daniel95 View Post
      ... I know this question might not be answerable due to a lot of other external factors.. but how often do people use hydrogen peroxide on their ponds? Is it more often weekly or a monthly?
      "As required", with the understanding that while it kills the algae pretty fast, it takes several days for it to go from dark green to sort of straw color, then it breaks up and floats into your filtration, possibly clogging it, so keep an eye on it.

*Ci* is online now Senior Member
      is in winter mode

Feeling:
      Friendly

Quote Originally Posted by daniel95 View Post
      I might give this a shot too. Did you hand paint or spray? Trying to work out how to stop spray drift going into the pond.
      I spraypainted, but it was before I put water in - I removed the totes from their cages, and gave them 2 coats of Krylon for plastic. So if you are willing to empty them and dissconnect, you could scrub out the algae (use a razor blade or paint scraper) and paint them at the same time.

is Australian!

Feeling:
      ----

Is hydrogen peroxide "selective"? As in will it kill just the string algae or will it affect this stuff too? Not sure what it is, just a fuzzy green carpet on the pond walls.

Name:  thumbnail_image0.jpg
Views: 31
Size:  72.3 KB

This user has no status.

Feeling:
      ----

Yes, it oxidizes anything organic. It doesn't harm the fish, but only due to the low concentration.