• Tired

Thread: Check Valve/plumbing question

Budha35 is offline Junior Member
      This user has no status.

Feeling:
      ----

Check Valve/plumbing question

Hi All,

Quick question for the plumbing pros regarding to check valve or not to check valve. I am running 4 return 2” lines from my pit (3 returns + waterfall). I have nice full flow diverter valves and the plan was to create a 4 way manifold (similar to a pool set up) to save space and have easy access to all the valves when needed.

The idea occurred to me that it might be better to put the valves as close to where the pipe enters the pit as possible so I could “close” the pipe(s) in the event I need to repair or modify the plumbing in the pit (ie - shut the water off at the furthest point. Note - my system will be gravity fed, the filter pit is below pond level so the water would drain back into lines.

So here’s my question. I could add check valves at the furthest location on each line, and build the 4way manifold as originally planned (I’d have to buy 4 full flow swing valves) OR just put the diverter valves at the furthest point. Adding 4 check valves + 4 diverter valves seems like overkill...

I’ve posted a couple pics to give an idea of the pit layout.

Appreciate any thoughts/suggestions!

Thanks

Mike
      Attached Images Attached Images    

• Remove Ads
        Advertising from Google
        Promoting Koi and Pond
        keeping since 2007

coolwon is offline Senior Member
      is Garfield is my name DIY is my
      game

Feeling:
      Cool

What are check valves for?

What is there function in a pond?

Garfield
      Find more about Weather in Durban, ZA

icu2 is offline Administrator ~ WWKC President
      ~ WWKC Treasurer
      is sorry otters exist

Feeling:
      Annoyed

Quote Originally Posted by Budha35 View Post
      Hi All,

Quick question for the plumbing pros regarding to check valve or not to check valve. I am running 4 return 2” lines from my pit (3 returns + waterfall). I have nice full flow diverter valves and the plan was to create a 4 way manifold (similar to a pool set up) to save space and have easy access to all the valves when needed.

The idea occurred to me that it might be better to put the valves as close to where the pipe enters the pit as possible so I could “close” the pipe(s) in the event I need to repair or modify the plumbing in the pit (ie - shut the water off at the furthest point. Note - my system will be gravity fed, the filter pit is below pond level so the water would drain back into lines.

So here’s my question. I could add check valves at the furthest location on each line, and build the 4way manifold as originally planned (I’d have to buy 4 full flow swing valves) OR just put the diverter valves at the furthest point. Adding 4 check valves + 4 diverter valves seems like overkill...

I’ve posted a couple pics to give an idea of the pit layout.

Appreciate any thoughts/suggestions!

Thanks

Mike
      What if the valve itself fails? Starts leaking, or fails to control water and needs to be replaced?
      I've found it's always best to leave room on both sides to handle the unforseen as much as possible.

What is the whole filtration plan? I can't think of a design that would need check valves on the
      return lines.

Beutiful job on the pond shell!
      --Steve

Koiphen 2021 Koi Person of the Year!

coolwon is offline Senior Member
      is Garfield is my name DIY is my
      game

Feeling:
      Cool

Leave a short stub of plastic pipe protruding into the pond, filed and smoothed with all the sharp edges sanded down to protect the fish from hurting themselves.

In the event of a mishap in the pump room, dive down with your readied plastic elbow and a section of pipe glued, long enough,that it protrudes well above the

surface of the pond water.

Do your repair inside the pump house, when happy with the repair remove the periscope pipe.

Garfield.
      Find more about Weather in Durban, ZA

batman is offline Senior Member
      This user has no status.

Feeling:
      ----

Quality full union full flow ball valve. 2 inch valves are reasonable price. No need for valves on manifold for adjusting flow if you want a shut off near wall. Returns are seldom adjusted after initial setup. If designed into layout close to entry with access initially there is no need for valve access on manifold or doubling of valves. With pond water and potential build up, any type of check valve would be a high potential failure point if used as a complete shut off.
      Last edited by batman; 01-12-2021 at 11:35 AM.
      The real Batman wears polyester! Don't be fooled by the plastic imposter.

• Remove Ads
        Advertising from Google
        Promoting Koi and Pond
        keeping since 2007