• Tired

Thread: JEBO pump seems weak

freshfish is offline Junior Member
      This user has no status.

Feeling:
      ----

JEBO pump seems weak

Hello,
      I have a JEBO pump that is 75w and rated for 6000liters which is more than adequate for my pond (that I just inherited when I moved)...it was working fine but now it almost seems like it has lost power. Here are some notes:
      1) It is submersible
      2) It was working just fine
      3) Then working very weak
      4) Pump "grate or casing" was removed and cleaned so no obstructions
      5) Water has to climb less than a meter (3 feet)
      6) When I tested it, the higher I lift the outlet hose the lower the power
      7) Tried situating as shallow as I can but that added 20cm max
      8) I moved it around to see if it was an air bubble
      9) Tried a Bestway pool pump while I was trouble shooting but I could not get the external pump and filter to suck water up from the pond despite it only being less than 30cm above the water

Any advice for a noob pond owner would be greatly appreciated

• Remove Ads
        Advertising from Google
        Promoting Koi and Pond
        keeping since 2007

kimini is offline Senior Member
      This user has no status.

Feeling:
      ----

Disconnect everything from it and check/clean the pipes/hoses. A sudden loss in performance is "probably" a leaf or something. Less likely but still possible is that the motor has partially failed, but a blockage is more likely. Another possibility, depending upon application, is that it's sucking air into the inlet side, though you should see bubbles on the output side if that's happening. Another thing... try reaching in and spinning the impeller to ensure that it spins freely. A failing bearing could be causing a drag. Also while in there, examine the impeller for damage or debris. I've seen rare cases where something hard get sucked in and acts like a grinder against the impeller, leaving it with only part of its original shape. If that happens, it'll run fine but not move much water.
      Last edited by kimini; 01-08-2021 at 11:23 AM.

freshfish is offline Junior Member
      This user has no status.

Feeling:
      ----

Thanks for the reply...I did notice 2 things:
      1) There is a very small crack on the output hose just before the filter. I have the pump submerged and a hose going up to the filter
      2) When I lift the pump closer to level the water gushes out no problem so I doubt its a blockage
      I will try what you suggested but seems like a bearing dying or a small particle that is weakening the motor
      Probably time to change it...do you know anything about the JEBO brand? Is it reliable?
      Thanks again

danbo is offline Senior Member
      This user has no status.

Feeling:
      ----

Google pump impeller and you'll see various images similar to the one pasted below. Note that the impeller shape narrows towards the center such that the water velocity increases towards the center. Two things can happen a) a small stone can enter the pump inlet and get stuck in the outlet stage of the impeller where the gap narrows down. This has happened to me and severely reduces performance of the pump. b) the 'walls' of the impeller get damaged by stones or grit passing through. Most likely in 'lower cost' pumps which can have 'plastic' impellers....much less likely with steel impellers. You have to dismantle the pump body to find out which problem you have. If it's stones blocking the impeller, clearing them should restore performance 100%. If the impeller is damaged, you can either replace it or throw the pump away. The electric motor driving the pump will typically be a simple single phase induction motor. Normally these motors have two modes of operation: Full speed and dead. Dead can be because the starter capacitor has failed or the motor windings have burnt out. But a simple induction motor does not run at 1/2 or 1/3 speed etc. If it runs it runs at 100% speed. Since your flow is 'reduced' not zero, I would conclude that your problem will be related to the pump, not the electrical motor which drives the pump.

Dan

Name:  Impeller.JPG
Views: 57
Size:  32.6 KB

batman is offline Senior Member
      This user has no status.

Feeling:
      ----

Last edited by batman; 01-20-2021 at 12:39 PM.
      The real Batman wears polyester! Don't be fooled by the plastic imposter.

batman is offline Senior Member
      This user has no status.

Feeling:
      ----

Jebao makes multiple styles of pumps. Take cover off pump impeller. Inspect for debris and rotate by hand. Don't confuse removing strainer guard with pump disassembly. If it is a wet rotor design (as many are) pop the rotor and impeller out. Clean assembly along with cavity. Remove calcium deposits with IronOut or CLR.

Here is how to clean a wet rotor pump. Yours might not be this design but you'll still need to take the cover off to inspect impeller.

https://youtu.be/E-YUmEm2uWg
      The real Batman wears polyester! Don't be fooled by the plastic imposter.

• Remove Ads
        Advertising from Google
        Promoting Koi and Pond
        keeping since 2007