• Sneaky
  • Tired

Thread: Koi has had scales turn white over last week

Sandee05 is offline Junior Member
      This user has no status.

Feeling:
      ----

Koi has had scales turn white over last week

Fish is eating well and active, but has developed these white spots recently. No changes to pond recently. Was thinking maybe car pox but donít want to miss a treatment if itís something else. Thank you in advance!
      Attached Images Attached Images    

KTownKoinut is offline Senior Member
      This user has no status.

Feeling:
      ----

IDK,,,,but looks like he's just sport'n a new look for the ladies!!!

Someone else will hopfully know more then I do!!!! I'm bail'n, on the scale'n......Sorry!

I'll see myself out again.....
      Last edited by KTownKoinut; 12-20-2020 at 06:54 PM.

RichToyBox is online now Administrator ~
      Koi Health Care Committee Member
      This user has no status.

Feeling:
      Awesome

I can't be sure from the pictures. Generally, I would say the scales were loosened by a scrape against some hard rough object in the pool, but these really don't look like loose scales, more like a fungus growing on the scales, possibly from a scrape causing a wound that allowed the fungus an opportunity to grow. If it is a fungus, you should be able to rub it and not feel it, and for that the best treatment is malachite green, which is one of the components of the Proform C or BSDT. If you feel it and it is standing hard, then it could be carp pox or another viral infection and other than some temperature cycling winter to summer, there really isn't anything that can be done. Generally neither is easily transmissible.

"Our goal is to assist with emergency and Koi health issues, as well as educate on best practices. Please help us gain a clear picture by giving the original poster time to answer our questions before offering opinions and suggested treatments."

Zone 7 A/B
      Keep your words sweet. You never know when you may have to eat them.
      Richard

Russell Peters is offline Supporting Member
      This user has no status.

Feeling:
      ----

Quote Originally Posted by Sandee05 View Post
      Fish is eating well and active, but has developed these white spots recently. No changes to pond recently. Was thinking maybe car pox but don’t want to miss a treatment if it’s something else. Thank you in advance!
      Those look like something I have had on Koi in the past. I would pull the Koi, sedate it, scrape off the white stuff(it is usually a hard substance) and then I would apply a salt paste to the area where I removed it. After letting the paste sit on the area for 30 seconds or more I would then wash it off and put the Koi back in the pond. It usually never comes back.
      people like to vehemently defend their purchases and find it incredulous that anything could be better

Sandee05 is offline Junior Member
      This user has no status.

Feeling:
      ----

Caught the fish today and upon closer inspection it appears to be pox. Firm white and waxy and definitely not something I was able to even remotely run off. Thanks for all the advice! I know where I will come back to if the spots start to change.