• Sneaky
  • Tired

Thread: Koi Rolling Over on Side

halli is offline Junior Member
      This user has no status.

Feeling:
      ----

Exclamation Koi Rolling Over on Side

If anybody could quickly help me out, that would be great. I just changed my water in my koi pond, and now one of my two koi is floating on its side at the top. It can sometimes flip itself back over, but it keeps on going to one side; when I personally go and flip it over with my hand, it swims to the bottom. My fish usually stay at the bottom of the pond after a water change, but I'm not sure why one of them is flipping over this time. Maybe the water is too cold? I'm not too sure; I got these koi about four months ago (about a year old), and there haven't been any problems until now. Thank you!

KTownKoinut is offline Senior Member
      This user has no status.

Feeling:
      ----

That sucks!!! Are you adding a lot of cold tap water? Could it be a temperature shock? Or chlorine? They shouldn't be going to hang out on the pond bottom with just a water change either!

Hope J is offline Senior Member
      This user has no status.

Feeling:
      ----

Are you checking your water parameters? There's really not enough information to go on ATP. It could be difference in the temps, high levels of Ammonia, chlorine etc.

RichToyBox is offline Administrator ~
      Koi Health Care Committee Member
      This user has no status.

Feeling:
      Awesome

We always like to start with numbers for the water parameters, ammonia, nitrite, pH, KH, temperature as that is the environment that the fish have to live in, it is the primary factor associated with health and with healing. You mention doing a water change just before this started, did you treat the water for chlorine/chloramine, how much of a change (10%, 50%???). You also have not given us a location that gives us a clue to the temperatures.

I have not seen the rolling over near the surface, but it is fairly common to have fish lay over on their sides on the bottom when there is a significant temperature drop, and for those fish, it often requires bringing the fish inside for the winter to warm them back up, and they really do not transition back to the cold weather without rolling over again.

"Our goal is to assist with emergency and Koi health issues, as well as educate on best practices. Please help us gain a clear picture by giving the original poster time to answer our questions before offering opinions and suggested treatments."

Zone 7 A/B
      Keep your words sweet. You never know when you may have to eat them.
      Richard

KTownKoinut is offline Senior Member
      This user has no status.

Feeling:
      ----

Folks,,,I think halli has left the biulding....just say'n....lol

But, bomber of a post again, RTB!!!! Good info!!!