• Sneaky
  • Tired

Thread: Storing Seeds Dry (brachycerus) = Duds? Thermarum

little_mikey is offline Senior Member
      This user has no status.

Feeling:
      ----

Storing Seeds Dry (brachycerus) = Duds? Thermarum

So I have heard that storing seeds dry should allow them to be viable for 2 years... Supposedly you have to remove the arils and dry ASAP to prevent them from sprouting before storage.
      I dutifully saved about 1000 thermarum seeds hoping to start some indoors/early spring so I wouldn't have to wait for the adult plant to start spewing seeds again in June. I have a few seeds from 7 different batches indoors in water/damp soil that is 80*F. I got one seed to sprout and its leaf is translucent (melty/dead looking it will not make it).

In the past I have inexplicably had entire batches of minuta seeds be duds as well. Usually it seems to be batches that I was too lazy to de-aril and dry quickly enough. On the flip side I have had 90% germination on some batches of minuta seeds that are like 3 years old.

Granted thermarum is one of the fastest lilies to go from seed to blooming, I hate having babies in November that I have to overwinter (which seem to get eaten). Also everything seems to like the taste of thermarum (squirrels, rats, army worms, aphids, racoons....).

Is there a trick to getting thermarum seeds to sprout? I assumed the supplemental CO2 was necessary to get them not to quit after a few leaves, but not necessary for sprouting.

*Also can thermarum be divided if it has 2 growth tips? My adult was blooming/growing leaves from 2 ends.

• Remove Ads
        Advertising from Google
        Promoting Koi and Pond
        keeping since 2007

Paulzie67 is offline Senior Member
      This user has no status.

Feeling:
      Friendly

Hey Mikey, Did you ever get any seeds to germinate and did you find out any info or answers to your questions?
      I'd love to hear and learn

• Remove Ads
        Advertising from Google
        Promoting Koi and Pond
        keeping since 2007