Thread: Please help identity scope slides

Zaman is offline Junior Member
      This user has no status.

Feeling:
      ----

Please help identity scope slides

video is from a scrape of the side of a koi
      Remaining 4 are from the pond water samples , they didnít move

I recently got my microscope to understand whatís happening with the fish ... would appreciate if someone could identify if these are parasites

Fish have become shy, skittish In last few weeks
      Sit at bottom in a cluster, eat but not with the usual enthusiasm
      Other days swim normally
      Some females have sunken stomachs , donít look right ..
      I have been having nitrate and Amonia on and off last few weeks as weather is cooling and many plants dying ( 30C mid november to 19C today ) , doing daily water changes 15% to keep the levels at zero and cleaned up the pond thoroughly 2 weeks ago
      I did formalin/ malachite/ methylene 5 treatments course 1 month ago, when weather started changing ,but read later considered ineffective above 28C ..e
      salt at .3 %
      Phhr 8-8.2
      KH 10-12
      Ni 0

What would you suggest I do now ?
      Given it is 2 planted ponds , semi natural stream with bamboo and trees (1000l/4000L)
      I have no access to brand medicines from fishshops , unless someone I know traveling back to Egypt brings it ..
      Have formaline/ methylene blue
      Malachite on 20/12/20
      Permanganate I tried, once, result wasnít a success and that was in a tank.
      Dimilin
      Salt ..
      Thank you
      Attached Images Attached Images     
      Last edited by Zaman; 12-11-2020 at 03:51 PM.

This user has no status.

Feeling:
      ----

1 dead small koi

Found one small koi dead before going to bed
      On the scape of body werecthese two
      Attached Images Attached Images  

RichToyBox is offline Administrator ~
      Koi Health Care Committee Member
      This user has no status.

Feeling:
      Awesome

Those are definitely flukes and in large numbers can cause fatalities. Our primary recommendations are Fluke M (flubendazole, other brand names are Flutelmium, Flubenol, Biovermin, and Flumoxal, and it available in Europe for human use over the counter) and Praziquantel (dog and cat dewormer, trade name Droncit). Both of these are fairly benign to the fish but deadly to the flukes. Other options are potassium permanganate at 2ppm for 5 days in a row, and if gill flukes, then probably a repeat treatment the next two weeks at 5 days each treatment to assure kill of the eggs on hatching, (this can be pretty rough, but Doc Johnson says it works.) He also says Formalin will work but it is tough as it is bound by organics in the system rendering it ineffective. The other older method was the use of organophosphate insecticides like Malathion at 0.25ppm in soft water and as much as 1 ppm in hard water or KH over 80 and pH over 7.4, so it is difficult to use.

I would try to locate the flubendazole as it is most likely available as a cat and dog dewormer but also as a human worm treatment, and it is very safe, very effective and not unreasonable priced.

"Our goal is to assist with emergency and Koi health issues, as well as educate on best practices. Please help us gain a clear picture by giving the original poster time to answer our questions before offering opinions and suggested treatments."

Zone 7 A/B
      Keep your words sweet. You never know when you may have to eat them.
      Richard

This user has no status.

Feeling:
      ----

Thank you for a quick reply
      I found Fubendazole tablets in pharmacy ( Used them before for ppl and dogs )
      Theyíre 100 mg flubendazole/ tablet
      What would be the dosage for the pond youíd suggest ?

This user has no status.

Feeling:
      Awesome

"Our goal is to assist with emergency and Koi health issues, as well as educate on best practices. Please help us gain a clear picture by giving the original poster time to answer our questions before offering opinions and suggested treatments."

Zone 7 A/B
      Richard

This user has no status.

Feeling:
      ----

I didn’t find enough tablets for all ponds for2 or 3 treatments .. I am treating 2 smaller ponds with flubendazole ... tomorow is day 5 when I should redose . Out of curiousity i looked at watersample of both and found a fluke ,many chillodenela (two on a fish scrape)or some similar Protozoa , some worms ..
      I wonder if the multiple gravel/ plant filters I have are consuming the medicine ?

Also to treat 10K and 20K pond I purchased Curazole , liquid cattle dewormer( fenbendzole as panacure )
      Is 1 ml / 380 liter a correct dosage ?

This user has no status.

Feeling:
      Awesome

It appears that the Curazole is the same concentration suspension as the Flubendazole, so the dosage would be the same. The concentration for the liquid is 10% or 0.1g/ml.

I am not familiar with any effect the filter bacteria, detritus, or other organics would have on these dewormers. The use of oxidizers like PP and formalin/malachite green treatments are seriously depleted by organics in the system.

Since you have found chillodenela, those will not be affected by the dewormers, and must be treated with a different protocol. The usual here would be the formalin/malachite green or PP, usually just one dose is needed. Salt at 0.6% would also be effective, but all plants would have to be removed from the system.

Zone 7 A/B
      Richard