• Sneaky
  • Tired

Thread: Gravolless Bog Filter

KTownKoinut is offline Senior Member
      This user has no status.

Feeling:
      ----

Gravolless Bog Filter

For my new pond biuld, I'm thinking of setting up a gravolless bog/settlment chamber combo. The koi pond will be about 16' dia, with a 6' deep bottom drain leading out to the back gulley too flush into. The volume should be about 6200 gallons. So, just too collect the fines, I'm thinking of a small, round pond; 8' dia x 2' deep, maybe a 3" bottom drain in it for clean outs. I don't like the clogging gravol thing, so my thought is to just rely mostly on Hyasinths to filter out the fines. Then, this water will pass into an anoxic filter, about 5'x10'x 2' deep.....

For cleaning, I'm thinking just having a couple pump lines coming over that I can divert with 3 way valves. They'll blast away at the roots while getting them all going in a vortex fashion in the round shape....and the bottom drain can be opened to let the matter drop.....!

Have any of you tried something like this? Do you think my sizing would be about right?

I know, right. A little outside the box again.....the wayzz I roll...
      KTK

• Remove Ads
        Advertising from Google
        Promoting Koi and Pond
        keeping since 2007

This user has no status.

Feeling:
      ----

Guess,,,mention bog,,,and everyone runszzz!! lol Hey! come back!

MCAsan is offline Senior Member
      This user has no status.

Feeling:
      ----

Indeed. Koi need plants like they do bicycles.

This user has no status.

Feeling:
      ----

LOL! Your wheels must've bin turn'n good for that one!!! Got anthing else, smartazzz!? LOL

BTW; The plants maybe just for the first while, to help control algea and nitrates, till the anoxic system kicks in full bore. If the plants are too much work too control, or clean, I can replace them with maybe brushes, or....
      Last edited by KTownKoinut; 11-29-2020 at 12:41 AM.

cottagefog is offline Senior Member
      This user has no status.

Feeling:
      ----

I have one of those plant holding, bog, settling chamber, bottom drained, anoxic filter, upper pond you speak of. I will refer to this as the "upper" pond.

Main pond is about 6000 gallons. The upper pond is approx 14ft long, by 5ft wide, and varies from 2ft to 3 ft deep with clean out bottom drains.
      12 anoxic baskets. About 900 gallons.

Koi in captivity may not need plants but some ponds need plants for Nitrate controlling assistance. That is where I keep my plants. Not only esthetically pleasing to the eyes, but adds additional benefits.

I say stay the course, do what you feel will work for you. I think you will be happy with your set up, and the ease of cleaning with those bottom drains. My only suggesting is if you have floating plants, find a way to support them when it comes time to activate those bottom drains. I used a section of dark green plastic fencing and everyone stays put.

Good luck.

On a side note I know several people that have the old fashion bogs. Rocks, and more rocks and plants galore. Some are about 20 years old now and no issues with pond or koi health. I know....just wait

This user has no status.

Feeling:
      ----

Awesome!!!! That's what I'm look'n for, CF!!! Thanks so much for the inspiration!

So how many koi (and what's their size roughly) do you have in that set up of yours?

Good idea about the plant support thing! I was kinda think'n of something like that also....

I'm planning on about 24, 12" baskets, with the ability too double stack the suckers, if I ever am maxed out with about 30 full grown Koi!!!

So, would you suggest trying the gravol even, or just keep it easy cleaning style with just the floating plants/brushes...?

Sorry for the blast questions!!!

KTK

This user has no status.

Feeling:
      ----

Oooops! Double posted...so deleted this buggar!

This user has no status.

Feeling:
      ----

If you double stack the anoxic filter baskets, make sure water is able to pass between all baskets. Sides, bottoms, tops. Dont have the top row resting on the bottoms.

My pond is probably grossly overstocked. I had a spawn two years ago and having a 6ft plus deep pond makes them very crafty and able to elude multiple nets, and seines.

I have a 37" butterfly, a 35" yamabuka, 6 about 24-27 inches, 6 around 18 inches, and about fifteen ranging from 8 to 12 inches.

Forgot to mention I have two rows of brushes in my "bog" filter.

You mention "gravol". Are you meaning gravel? Rocks, pebbles? If so I would leave them out.

GloriaL is offline Supporting Member
      is YADA YADA YADA YADA WWKC Life
      time Diamond Member

Feeling:
      ----

Just saying, bottom drains in koi ponds are usually assumed to be an integral part of the filtration circuit. Usually like this Pond-> bottom drain-> 3-4"piping->mechanical filtration->biological filtration-> pump->pond. A bottom drain is not actually a drain. I do have a bypass on mine to clean out the piping occasionally, but mostly it is awesome at keeping the pond bottom clean.
      GloriaL
      YADA YADA YADA YADA WWKC Life time Diamond Member # 10

This user has no status.

Feeling:
      ----

Quote Originally Posted by cottagefog View Post
      If you double stack the anoxic filter baskets, make sure water is able to pass between all baskets. Sides, bottoms, tops. Dont have the top row resting on the bottoms.

My pond is probably grossly overstocked. I had a spawn two years ago and having a 6ft plus deep pond makes them very crafty and able to elude multiple nets, and seines.

I have a 37" butterfly, a 35" yamabuka, 6 about 24-27 inches, 6 around 18 inches, and about fifteen ranging from 8 to 12 inches.

Forgot to mention I have two rows of brushes in my "bog" filter.

You mention "gravol". Are you meaning gravel? Rocks, pebbles? If so I would leave them out.
      Yes, sorry, I meant pebbles and rock. I think I used the Canadian spell'n!!! Maybe not!!! lol

Do your nitrates stay low with just the 12 BCBs? And how do you find the cleaning with the plants in with the baskets? How much and often are you water changes?

If I connect my main pond to the prefilter pond, then from there too the anoxic, with 4" pipe, do you think the two 5,000 gph pumps will be sized about right for good gravity flow through the 4" pipes??? Yikes! Does that shmoozle of words make any frig'n sense!!!???
      Last edited by KTownKoinut; 11-29-2020 at 11:45 PM.

• Remove Ads
        Advertising from Google
        Promoting Koi and Pond
        keeping since 2007

This user has no status.

Feeling:
      ----

. A bottom drain is not actually a drain.[/QUOTE]

In this discussion we are strictly talking a settling chamber, "graveless bog"-like pond/filter. NOT the main pond. The bottom drain will actually be used as a drain.

This user has no status.

Feeling:
      ----

Too the people that think my plans are nuts ...........I went to see a highly regarded, pond dude here in Ktown (Kelowna, BC). He works for an irrigation and pond supply company. I showed him my plans and we yapped for over an hour probably! He was super excited about it, even accidently ignoring other customers coming in...! Oooops! He wants to help me set this system up, and see it working also. He said my ponds will be a bit of work setting up, but once done, they should be awesome and low maintenance...He put away his filter catalogue and the skimmer one hit the shelf also, once I suggested what I had planned for my DIY cheap alternative. LOL! I'm not even gonna say what that is....
      Last edited by KTownKoinut; 11-30-2020 at 11:13 AM.

This user has no status.

Feeling:
      ----

Sorry CF. I asked you a whack of those questions on my other thread!!

Fishmover is offline Supporting Member
      This user has no status.

Feeling:
      ----

Quote Originally Posted by KTownKoinut View Post
      Too the people that think my plans are nuts ...........I went to see a highly regarded, pond dude here in Ktown (Kelowna, BC). He works for an irrigation and pond supply company. I showed him my plans and we yapped for over an hour probably! He was super excited about it, even accidently ignoring other customers coming in...! Oooops! He wants to help me set this system up, and see it working also. He said my ponds will be a bit of work setting up, but once done, they should be awesome and low maintenance...He put away his filter catalogue and the skimmer one hit the shelf also, once I suggested what I had planned for my DIY cheap alternative. LOL! I'm not even gonna say what that is....
      I am rooting for you. I personally am not envisioning the same ease of maintenance that you are, but you have an idea and a plan. Make sure and post a build thread on this, however it shakes out it will be a learning experience for all.

Been ponding for a while, with lots of successes, and lots of failures.

This user has no status.

Feeling:
      ----

Thanks, Fishmover! I went over my plans with another pond guy at the same business yesterday. The other dude had bin telling him all about my plans, and both of them think it's gonna be really sweet!! I gotta just go over the plumbing with a plumber too make sure it's all gonna work perfect, then I'm ready to 'play' in the dirt!!!!!! I don't wanna find something doesn't work after it's in already!!!

Too bad winter is gonna slow me down soon!! I wanna see dirt fly'n!!!!

• Remove Ads
        Advertising from Google
        Promoting Koi and Pond
        keeping since 2007