• Tired

Thread: What is the variety of KOI??

Diemily Otto is offline Junior Member
      This user has no status.

Feeling:
      ----

Wink What is the variety of KOI??

Hello,
      Before starting, I would like to warn you that my English is bad, as I speak only in Portuguese (I live in Brazil).

I work in Koi shop (Lago Carpa), and I received this shipment from the Koi breeder.
      A lot of five green Koi, but I don't know the exact variety of them... they are 10 ", they have lost their color due to stress, they are really greenish metallic. : uggg: they are really colorless, but they are dark green.

I found an old photo of a koi with the same pattern

I wonder if you know what this variety is?

Name:  IMG_6720.jpg
Views: 107
Size:  114.3 KBName:  IMG_7236.jpg
Views: 105
Size:  82.6 KB

Hope J is online now Senior Member
      This user has no status.

Feeling:
      ----

Look like Midorigoi. One of my favorite varieties even though I don't have one.

KTownKoinut is offline Senior Member
      This user has no status.

Feeling:
      ----

Yup, they are Midorigoi. My Koi dude had them on his Facebook, and in stock just a while ago.
      He said this about them; "The rare and elusive Midorigoi (literal translation, Green Koi) the only true green koi, is produced in very small quantities every year because of how unusual and quirky they are. They are known for their kiwi coloured skin."

No Buddy is offline Senior Member
      This user has no status.

Feeling:
      ----

Many green colored Koi including these are referred to as Midori . There are two ways to use this name; One is a literal way to describe any greenish Doitsu Koi, and the other is used to describe an actual variety of Doitsu Koi. The ones in the photo are metallic and not true Midori Koi which come from Shusui ...a non metallic variety. I would not call these Midori Koi when speaking of the true variety Midori.
      Last edited by No Buddy; 11-27-2020 at 05:03 PM.

This user has no status.

Feeling:
      ----

Good call, NB!! Good call..... then what the heck are they? lol

This user has no status.

Feeling:
      ----

Maybe, Hikari Midorigoi? Or Ogdorigoi? lol
      Look'n like they've been crossed with Yamabuki Ogon??
      Nothin comes up when Googled!
      Last edited by KTownKoinut; 11-27-2020 at 04:49 PM.

This user has no status.

Feeling:
      ----

They could be called a few things when speaking of the look alone, but most likely they are culls of a spawn like Kikokuryu or they come from some experimental spawning that produced this look. They definitely have metallic and non metallic genetics mixed. Not very attractive to me personally, but we all have different tastes.

This user has no status.

Feeling:
      ----

Many hobbyists do not realize how many different looks that can pop out of a given spawn. It all depends on what is mixed in the bloodlines of the parent stock. Also there are breeders that breed different varieties that are not recognized in Japan. As an example you can see this very well known breeder from Poland calls the fish in the photo attached, Doitsu Metallic Ochiba. That is his right as the breeder of this variety. Most likely an Ochiba paired with something produced these. Thus the name Doitsu Metallic Ochiba .You can easily see however that the fish in the photo have a very similar color to the ones in this thread except they are patterned fish and not one color throughout. Fish in this thread could easily come from a spawn of these Doitsu metallic Ochiba, Doitsu Mukashi, Doitsu Chagoi, and even Kikokuryu as previously stated. It all depends on the mix put together in the spawning.
      This young Tosai I have attached in the second photo turn into something that looks quite different to the untrained eye. The first photo is how these young Tosai fish mature;

This always leads to the question (especially in young fish) as to what to classify them as when speaking of variety: Do you call them what they "look" like at the moment or what they were bred from? Many varieties can start looking like one breed only to look very different when they mature. Also there are fish that can look very similar and they actually have no genetic line connected to one another.

Call the fish in this thread whatever you like, but either way only the breeder really knows, and either way they are very low grade Koi sorry to say. This does not mean folks cannot like how they look. Buy what appeals to you and your eye. That is what this hobby is truly about. Not every Koi or cool looking Koi needs to be considered high quality.
      Attached Images Attached Images   
      Last edited by No Buddy; 11-27-2020 at 05:47 PM.