• Sneaky
  • Tired
  • Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Bottom Drain....Like Flush'n the Toilet!!?? lol

KTownKoinut is offline Senior Member
      This user has no status.

Feeling:
      ----

But, I've already bin able to make the solids collect in a nice neat little pile in my mom's pond. If I had a BD in there, it would be perfect.....I think the key is to get enough vortex action going, and an air pump helping to sweep the sloped bottm also. If the pond wasn't round, it wouldn't work....

Edit; Ok, I see your points, that some poop will what to hang up on the bottom, before getting to the BD. I'm just think'n, with the right currents, and slope....the crap should end up hang'n out in the lowest spot, in the BD 'bucket' itself....
      Last edited by KTownKoinut; 11-24-2020 at 10:40 AM.

• Remove Ads
        Advertising from Google
        Promoting Koi and Pond
        keeping since 2007

KoiRun is offline Senior Member
      This user has no status.

Feeling:
      Happy

KTK, I really like your idea of this BD bucket. Believe me many conventional BD installed act like a bucket anyways that will need routine flushing out. The problem with valves (particularly knife valves from what I hear) is that it is just a matter of time when they fail. Unfortunately, if you have two of them, they will fail at the same time. I would imagine there would be massive amount of pressure acting upon this valve. Not only that, I can see this pressure shifting the piping and acting on the joints. I'm afraid in the future you will be scrambling to fix a leak so that your pond does not become one deadly water slide. Perhaps you can incorporate an airlift system (like Steve's post #8) to empty a middle bucket. If you are still keen about a circular pond, a bridge could hide the vertical pipe and air tubing.

If you could make this airlift work, I would (and I'm sure many would) be forever envious.

In regards to poop not making it there. Don't worry. The sweeping action of your koi can also help bring it there. The problem is - hair algae can trap crap.
      Last edited by KoiRun; 11-24-2020 at 12:27 PM.
      Time you enjoy wasting is not wasted time. ---- Marthe Troly-Curtin

KoiRun on YouTube, latest video:
      https://youtu.be/72iiuRXY2Wk

*Ci* is offline Administrator
      is enjoying the fall weather

Feeling:
      Happy

Quote Originally Posted by KTownKoinut View Post
      Thanks, but I don't need to collect the shize.....I've got an awesome, brush filled gulley behind my yard that would gladly take a quick flush, never to be seen again!!!!

And the water that goes out with the flush, is the water change water. I must be out to lunch, or somethin...'cause I really don't see the need yet too move things too settle out into a chamber/ box too save the water, then have too do a water change anyway....Yikes, what am I miss'n here!!??? lol
      Here’s what I think you are missing. You were originally looking for a low maintenance option. Most people only do water changes once a week and it is often associated with flushing of filters (S&G’s, bead filters, static bio). But ideally, solid waste should be removed from the water column as soon as is feasible - hence the current use of RDF’s and sieves. Do you want to be out there pulling valves and refilling on a daily basis or even multiple times a day?

With a settling chamber, the waste is separated from the koi so it won’t get disturbed and further broken up, and you can automate your flushing of the cone, and put your refill water on a timer to coincide. Having an SC design like this will give you a much cleaner environment for your koi, and way less maintenance. Obviously, a sieve or RDF even better.

KTownKoinut is offline Senior Member
      This user has no status.

Feeling:
      ----

I'm get'n a headache...... LOL!!!

Seriously though,,, Thanks for all the great feedback, everyone!!! I gots some 'ponder'n' to do now!!!!

I know, these emogi dudes are really over active again!!!!!

KTK
      Last edited by KTownKoinut; 11-24-2020 at 04:01 PM.

• Remove Ads
        Advertising from Google
        Promoting Koi and Pond
        keeping since 2007

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12