• Sneaky
  • Tired

Thread: Filter Sizing for heavy fish load

vegaskoi89032 is offline Junior Member
      This user has no status.

Feeling:
      ----

Filter Sizing for heavy fish load

Hi all, I've got a question on sizing a filter for a small stock pond. I have 120 4-6in koi in a 1,000 gallon pond 10ftx4ftx3ft. I currently have 2 19in pool sand filters filled with lava rock but they can't keep up with the fish load. I was thinking of switching to a 55g drum filled with 2 cubic foot of sponge and 3.5 cubic foot of bio balls, would this be enough bio filter to keep up with the amount of fish? I'm limited on space, otherwise I'd go with a 3 barrel setup

• Remove Ads
        Advertising from Google
        Promoting Koi and Pond
        keeping since 2007

two_wheeled is offline Senior Member
      This user has no status.

Feeling:
      Meh

Hello, I see this is your first post. Welcome! If you could give some history behind this setup that would be helpful for others to know what you're trying to accomplish.
      Your koi are still very young and are going to grow a LOT. That many fish require a much much much larger pond. What is your plan for all of these koi?
      -Steve in Phx.
      Novice Extraordinaire

Nguyen365 is offline Senior Member
      This user has no status.

Feeling:
      ----

On filtration, go as big as you can afford. I wouldn't switch instead add more filtration with your current fish load... post a picture of your pond and filtration maybe we can give ideas. Enjoy the Koi Journey!
      Last edited by Nguyen365; 11-24-2020 at 12:26 PM.

This user has no status.

Feeling:
      ----

Thanks for the replies, I've had a koi pond for the last 14 years in which we have 8 20+in fish, but this current venture is just for a short resale purpose. After looking around for a replacement fish for our own pond I was disappointed to find out we only have 2 retailers left and they are pricing the basic koi way out of the home hobbyist range. So I've taken it upon myself to try and fill the spot. What I have built right now is just a temporary above ground pond pieced together with pallets and plywood while I make room for some more permanent ponds.
      I know they will be growing, and fast, but I only plan to keep them for 6 months or so before selling and they all seem quite happy so far.

This user has no status.

Feeling:
      ----

Name:  20201122_125805.jpg
Views: 351
Size:  190.3 KBName:  20201122_125754.jpg
Views: 362
Size:  163.6 KBName:  20201122_125717.jpg
Views: 369
Size:  274.5 KB
      Attached Images Attached Images  

catfish whiskers is offline Supporting Member ~ WWKC President
      is Looking forward to a better
      year

Feeling:
      Friendly

Contrary to Manufacturers claims , pressurized or enclosed filters like that make poor bio filters . The only oxygen available to the media , is from the oxygen in the water running through them which is less than 1 %.
      In addition , some of that oxygen is displaced by carbon dioxide which gets somewhat trapped inside a pressurized canister.
      Your idea to use a 55 Gallon drum is a great idea , but I would make it a mechanical filter filled with K1 style media , and then have it feed a DIY shower filter . I’ve been using this system on My grow out and QT tanks for years . If the K1 mechanical filter is built along the lines of the Birdman sand & gravel filter using air to blow it clean , it will work fantastic and be easy to clean , and then You can’t get much better bio filtration than a shower filter. If You would like more info and design tips , please feel free to ask .

Fishmover is offline Supporting Member
      This user has no status.

Feeling:
      ----

Looking at the space you are working with, I think you could place a 55 gallon barrel sand and gravel filter (Mechanical) where the gray filter is. Then the output could go to a shower that is resting over the top edge of the pond near where the barrel is located.

This would give you good mechanical and bio filtration.

Been ponding for a while, with lots of successes, and lots of failures.

This user has no status.

Feeling:
      ----

I would suggest removing the plastic storage shed and build another wooden stand run dual 19" sand filter and dual showers with 55 gallon totes in parallel...

Love the diy solar water heat btw.

two_wheeled is offline Senior Member
      This user has no status.

Feeling:
      Meh

Hearing what you're doing makes a lot more sense now. Thanks for the photos.
      How well is that coil of pipe warming your water? I've been considering making one of those. Are you able to notice a difference?
      -Steve in Phx.
      Novice Extraordinaire

This user has no status.

Feeling:
      ----

Quote Originally Posted by two_wheeled View Post
      Hearing what you're doing makes a lot more sense now. Thanks for the photos.
      How well is that coil of pipe warming your water? I've been considering making one of those. Are you able to notice a difference?
      I need a little bit more, it has kept me steady at around 60-63 but I plan to add a propane heater as I would like to keep it a bit higher and I'm not sure a solar could keep up when the temps drop below 50. But I also only have about 200ft worth, so I will try bumping that up to around 1k ft and see how it does.

I like the idea of the shower filter, there will be some leftover filter media as I ordered 7cf and a 55g drum only holds 5.5ish.

• Remove Ads
        Advertising from Google
        Promoting Koi and Pond
        keeping since 2007

batman is offline Senior Member
      This user has no status.

Feeling:
      ----

The real Batman wears polyester! Don't be fooled by the plastic imposter.

This user has no status.

Feeling:
      ----

Bio balls came in today. Sponges come monday

Name:  20201128_225244.jpg
Views: 248
Size:  128.7 KB

SimonW is offline Senior Member
      This user has no status.

Feeling:
      ----

Quote Originally Posted by catfish whiskers View Post
      Contrary to Manufacturers claims , pressurized or enclosed filters like that make poor bio filters . The only oxygen available to the media, is from the oxygen in the water running through them which is less than 1 %.
      In addition , some of that oxygen is displaced by carbon dioxide which gets somewhat trapped inside a pressurized canister.
      I wonder if this is also advantageous?

1) Less O2 would make pressure filter a nice anoxic chamber, so that both ammonia and nitrate can be removed.

2) Nitrification bacteria need carbonate, so the trapped CO2 is useful for them.

Or I have missed something here?

I love pressure filter. Due to the above advantages I think that the only disadvantage of pressure filter is its trapping fish poop. Therefore I am thinking about adding a Sieve in front of it. I guess I will have to raise the sieve so that there will be enough gravitation to force the water through the pressure filter.
      Last edited by SimonW; 11-29-2020 at 04:48 AM.

kdh is offline Senior Member
      This user has no status.

Feeling:
      ----

Quote Originally Posted by catfish whiskers View Post
      Contrary to Manufacturers claims , pressurized or enclosed filters like that make poor bio filters . The only oxygen available to the media , is from the oxygen in the water running through them which is less than 1 %.
      Your idea to use a 55 Gallon drum is a great idea , but I would make it a mechanical filter filled with K1 style media , and then have it feed a DIY shower filter . I’ve been using this system on My grow out and QT tanks for years . If the K1 mechanical filter is built along the lines of the Birdman sand & gravel filter using air to blow it clean , it will work fantastic and be easy to clean , and then You can’t get much better bio filtration than a shower filter. If You would like more info and design tips , please feel free to ask .

That's interesting as papers I have read (research) says they are highly effective.???

You are also using extreme conditions for the results of issues with co2 depletion and carbon dioxide.

Give me the numbers of the average level of oxygen in a pond? And how much a bead filter uses?

Also show me the evidence of any health issue in a koi pond that was directly related to a bead filters inefficiency on KP over the years. I doubt you well find one. And there are thousands of these units out there.

GloriaL is offline Supporting Member
      is YADA YADA YADA YADA WWKC Life
      time Diamond Member

Feeling:
      ----

I would make sure your pumps can turnover your water at least 3-4 times per hour. That effectively increases your filtration
      GloriaL
      YADA YADA YADA YADA WWKC Life time Diamond Member # 10

This user has no status.

Feeling:
      ----

Got the barrels and sponge media all ready to go.

Name:  20201202_164559.jpg
Views: 180
Size:  167.1 KBName:  20201202_170747.jpg
Views: 194
Size:  100.7 KBName:  20201202_171834.jpg
Views: 200
Size:  162.1 KB

This user has no status.

Feeling:
      ----

Cant wait to see it all connected and flowing