• Sneaky
  • Tired

Thread: For those who teardown their filtration for the winner

Mild Bill is offline Supporting Member
      This user has no status.

Feeling:
      Crazy

For those who teardown their filtration for the winner

Iíve probably asked this before but at what water temperature does everyone who closes down their pond do so. I know at some point the nitrification cycle pretty much stops and thereís no reason to keep it going and risk freezing. Thanks

stevek is offline Supporting Member
      This user has no status.

Feeling:
      ----

I shut my system down every year, but I don't use a hard and fast rule based on a specific temperature. I just look at the weather trend report , and when it starts to have overnight lows in the 20's , and looks like it will stay this way, I shut it down. This year, we have had warm weather , and just had our first 20 degree night this week. They are projecting another warm stretch for the upcoming week, so I am keeping everything going for the time being. It only takes me about 1/2 day to shut everything down, bring the pump inside , and blow out the pipes, as I've got the routine down to a science at this point.

ow3232 is offline Member
      This user has no status.

Feeling:
      ----

I used to shut mine down around this time but for the last 5-6 years it’s been almost Christmas when I shut it down and bring the fish in.

cottagefog is offline Senior Member
      This user has no status.

Feeling:
      ----

For me it is time to shut down when the 10 day forecast projects 30s and 20s, Last year it was November 7th when I was forced to shut down. Looks like November 29th will be the last nice day before the prolonged dip in temp.

I have unions to unscrew, bottom drains to blow out, Zakki sieve to empty (bottom drains on the Zakki would have been nice), and 55 gallon barrels to drain.
      Last edited by cottagefog; 12-02-2020 at 08:44 PM.

Mild Bill is offline Supporting Member
      This user has no status.

Feeling:
      Crazy

Quote Originally Posted by cottagefog View Post
      For me it is time to shut down when the 10 day forecast projects 30s and 20s, Last year it was November 7th when I was forced to shut down. Looks like November 29th will be the last nice day before the prolonged dip in temp.

I have unions to unscrew, bottom drains to blow out, Zakki sieve to empty (bottom drains would have been nice), and 55 gallon barrels to drain.
      I know where your coming from, Itís not hard but a little cold on the hands.

totallyvictorian is offline Supporting Member
      This user has no status.

Feeling:
      Awesome

Closing my pond down this weekend. 40's are the predicted high all next week with lows in the 20's. I'm too old to be out there shutting it down any later

Pam

Montgomery County Water Garden Society
      Clarksville, Tn

Matt24 is offline Senior Member
      is watchin' em grow

Feeling:
      ----

Hmm, I did not realize so many shut down their filtration. I never shut mine down. But it's probably a little warmer on average here than for some of you who have responded so far.

KTownKoinut is offline Senior Member
      This user has no status.

Feeling:
      ----

I was going to shut down my mom's pond in Vancouver, BC. But my Koi supplier dude talked me outta it. Avg Jan temps are +7 to +3 deg C (44 to 37 F) Gets down to just bellow freezing sometimes, but he said it's better to keep things going. So I insulated the pipes for the pressure filter, and covered the filter with old tarps. It's also half way in the ground.

So my new pond biuld, here in Kelowna, I'm thinking of making it so I can keep things flowing all winter also. Planning how to keep plumbing protected ect... avg temps here are +1 to -5 deg C (34 to 23 F). I know from working in construction, all it usually takes to keep the ground from freezing here, is to lay an insulted tarp on the ground. So I'm thinking it's doable with a little extra planning and work to begin with. Plus, it takes a bit too freeze moving water, keep in mind....

Anyone with ideas?

MCAsan is online now Senior Member
      This user has no status.

Feeling:
      ----

For me it is not all or nothing. I always have the skimmer to bead filter circuit running in any winter. The last winter I built a 1" foam box to enclose the shower and left it running all winter. I did slow the speed of the two pumps that feed the shower. I did put a clear pool cover over the surface of the pond and leave the air domes running on the bottom drains.

KTownKoinut is offline Senior Member
      This user has no status.

Feeling:
      ----

Quote Originally Posted by MCAsan View Post
      For me it is not all or nothing. I always have the skimmer to bead filter circuit running in any winter. The last winter I built a 1" foam box to enclose the shower and left it running all winter. I did slow the speed of the two pumps that feed the shower. I did put a clear pool cover over the surface of the pond and leave the air domes running on the bottom drains.

Does it even freeze anything down there though? lol

john s is offline Supporting Member
      This user has no status.

Feeling:
      ----

I live in eastern Washington state, It gets cold, 1" of snow this am. I keep everything running 24/7 365. I do turn off air to bottom drains. Have floating foam sheets partially covering pond. Filters, (shower, moving bed, anoxic) are all insulated. Use 2 800 watt aquarium heaters. Water stays about 50 deg. Pond 14000+ gallons. Now for those that turn off their pumps, think about this. Go pee in a toilet. Where does it settle? Your koi are giving off waste all winter. Where does it settle? Research trench foot from WWI. If your koi are resting in their waste all winter, what do you expect? Ulcers? Aeromonas? Keep them healthy, keep your filtration systems running.

MCAsan is online now Senior Member
      This user has no status.

Feeling:
      ----

Quote Originally Posted by KTownKoinut View Post
      Does it even freeze anything down there though? lol
      We had snow flurries Monday night. A couple of years ago we had to cancel a Christmas party in mid December because there was around 8' of snow (roads would have been icy that night). So yes it does. Just not for long or very often. I will never live where I have to own snow tires or chains.

hacnp is offline Senior Member
      This user has no status.

Feeling:
      ----

Filters and pumps running since 2004, I do cover the bakki shower when we get overnight temps below freezing. For the first 7 years or so I covered the pond but have not done so for the past 9 or so. No losses due to weather, other things, well that's a different story....
      Regards, Ken

The most powerful point of suction in the pond occurs at our checking account. It's all Marges fault!