• Tired
  • Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: new pond design

Fishmover is offline Supporting Member
      This user has no status.

Feeling:
      ----

Quote Originally Posted by Elsonkoi View Post
      Hi, yes, that's my plan now. it will go directly to my bio chambers and back to pond with pump.
      I think you will still have some draw down issues if the pump comes after your biological filtration.
      If you went Bottom drains to RDF to Pump to Bio Filters to pond, you would not have drawn down issues.

Been ponding for a while, with lots of successes, and lots of failures.

• Remove Ads
        Advertising from Google
        Promoting Koi and Pond
        keeping since 2007

icu2 is offline Administrator ~ WWKC President
      ~ WWKC Treasurer
      is sorry otters exist

Feeling:
      Annoyed

i will put 2 overflow pipes of 4 inches for each chamber to increase the flow!
      Do you have a guess as to how much you'd like to flow through the filtration and if you have
      enough returns to take that flow back to the pond?

With the length of 24' I think a second skimmer would be a welcome addition too if you have
      the ability to handle the extra flow.
      --Steve

Koiphen 2021 Koi Person of the Year!

Elsonkoi is offline Member
      This user has no status.

Feeling:
      ----

Quote Originally Posted by Fishmover View Post
      I think you will still have some draw down issues if the pump comes after your biological filtration.
      If you went Bottom drains to RDF to Pump to Bio Filters to pond, you would not have drawn down issues.
      Ok here is my options, bottom line is feeding crazy without worrying about water quality.

1) i can downsize bio filter chamber numbers to 3
      2) i can directly connect my RDF with pump to bio filter and still keep 6 bio filters

it seems like connecting pump to rdf to filter is the best option here.

thanks for you input !

This user has no status.

Feeling:
      ----

Quote Originally Posted by icu2 View Post
      Do you have a guess as to how much you'd like to flow through the filtration and if you have
      enough returns to take that flow back to the pond?

With the length of 24' I think a second skimmer would be a welcome addition too if you have
      the ability to handle the extra flow.
      i will have one main pump running 6700 Gallon/h. and one small pump running 2000G/H. the return will be 1'x12' water path with three 1 foot wide water falls back to pond so water return capacity is enough.
      Last edited by Elsonkoi; 11-19-2020 at 08:37 PM.

This user has no status.

Feeling:
      ----

For that size pond you should have underwater returns also. Just the waterfall will not create enough water movement

icu2 is offline Administrator ~ WWKC President
      ~ WWKC Treasurer
      is sorry otters exist

Feeling:
      Annoyed

i will have one main pump running 6700 Gallon/h. and one small pump running 2000G/H. the return will be 1'x12' water path with three 1 foot wide water falls back to pond so water return capacity is enough.
      If you keep the 2 BD's and 1 skimmer, I'd add a couple of 4" egress points (like mid water pickups) and plug them for
      future use just in case. If you ever decide that you need more flow to the filtration, without more egress points, you'll
      be pretty much stuck. The 4" BD's should flow about 3500-4000 gph each and the skimmer with an 8" weir and plumbed
      with 3" or 4" pipe should flow another 2000 gph or so.
      Most RDF's that can handle that amount of water are around 3 ft. in length so by the time you plumbed the pipes and valves
      in the concrete chamber I think you're going to need more space than the 100 cm the first two will give you.
      The best bio filter I've used is a shower filter, but they do present their own challenges... so if you want to keep the
      gravity fed moving bed bio filters I'd just make a single large chamber after the RDF and use the 2 - 4" outputs
      from the RDF to feed it. I don't think multiple bio chambers will help any and will only cause more problems with draw down.
      If using media like K1 for the bio filters you'll need some way to separate it from the pump outlets to flow +8000 gph.
      The RDF removes any need for the brushes or other mechanical filtration.

Just curious, what RDF is pictured?
      --Steve

Koiphen 2021 Koi Person of the Year!

This user has no status.

Feeling:
      ----

Quote Originally Posted by icu2 View Post
      If you keep the 2 BD's and 1 skimmer, I'd add a couple of 4" egress points (like mid water pickups) and plug them for
      future use just in case. If you ever decide that you need more flow to the filtration, without more egress points, you'll
      be pretty much stuck. The 4" BD's should flow about 3500-4000 gph each and the skimmer with an 8" weir and plumbed
      with 3" or 4" pipe should flow another 2000 gph or so.
      Most RDF's that can handle that amount of water are around 3 ft. in length so by the time you plumbed the pipes and valves
      in the concrete chamber I think you're going to need more space than the 100 cm the first two will give you.
      The best bio filter I've used is a shower filter, but they do present their own challenges... so if you want to keep the
      gravity fed moving bed bio filters I'd just make a single large chamber after the RDF and use the 2 - 4" outputs
      from the RDF to feed it. I don't think multiple bio chambers will help any and will only cause more problems with draw down.
      If using media like K1 for the bio filters you'll need some way to separate it from the pump outlets to flow +8000 gph.
      The RDF removes any need for the brushes or other mechanical filtration.

Just curious, what RDF is pictured?
      Hi

i switched to RDF to pump to bio chamber options. i will do two pump connection from my RDF to bio. the big pump will only pump water out from RDF and a smaller one pump from RDF and skimmer.

THE RDF is made in vietnam called FREEE DRUM FILTER, its solid built, all stainless steel no plastic parts !

This user has no status.

Feeling:
      ----

Hi

i switched to RDF to pump to bio chamber options. i will do two pump connection from my RDF to bio. the big pump will only pump water out from RDF and a smaller one pump from RDF and skimmer.

THE RDF is made in vietnam called FREEE DRUM FILTER, its solid built, all stainless steel no plastic parts !
      You should have the water entering your pond from more than one point. maybe another stream, underwater return, something to create more current in the water.

• Remove Ads
        Advertising from Google
        Promoting Koi and Pond
        keeping since 2007

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12