• Sneaky
  • Tired

Thread: Koi Pond Depth

kaycien is offline Junior Member
      This user has no status.

Feeling:
      ----

Koi Pond Depth

I'm building a new Concrete Koi pond approximately 22 feet by 18 feet. Initially we were planning a 5 feet deep pond, but we have hit water table at about 4 feet depth. We are now thinking about four feet deep instead of five feet. We are in Connecticut near Long Island sound and so winters are not super harsh. Pond will have a large volume of over 12,000 gallons.

Any thoughts on how important it is to get to five feet depth for the Koi?

• Remove Ads
        Advertising from Google
        Promoting Koi and Pond
        keeping since 2007

lomaponder is offline Senior Member
      is My koi go cray cray during
      feedings

Feeling:
      Cool

Cool Some thoughts

Quote Originally Posted by kaycien View Post
      I'm building a new Concrete Koi pond approximately 22 feet by 18 feet. Initially we were planning a 5 feet deep pond, but we have hit water table at about 4 feet depth. We are now thinking about four feet deep instead of five feet. We are in Connecticut near Long Island sound and so winters are not super harsh. Pond will have a large volume of over 12,000 gallons.

My thoughts
      1.) more depth means more volume. More volume means slower for things to go south fast. But I know people who have ponds 1/6 your projected size ( with good filtration) and have very few problems.
      2.) Make sure sidebgo straight down so critters can’t easily wade in to grab your koi.
      3.) because of the water table level; I’d make sure Xepex is mixed into the cement to waterproof the pond outside water contaminating the pond.
      4.) if five feet depth is desired, why not have raised sides? (4 feet down and one foot ( more) raised.
      My thoughts
      Good luck.
      "Get your facts first, and then you can distort them as much as you please".
      Mark Twain
      US humorist, novelist, short story author, & wit (1835 - 1910)

https://koiclubofsandiego.org/

jimfish98 is offline Supporting Member
      is not losing sleep over the
      opinion of sheep

Feeling:
      ----

I echo the 4th point with raised walls for the depth. I also think that CT has a 42 inch frost line so at 4ft below grade so you should be covering this thing during winter and looking to protect it from heat loss. If possible I would think of using insulated foam board under and around the pour to limit transfer of temps as well during cold months. Between the insulation and a clear cover structure, you should be able to maintain decent temps and prevent having to run anything during winter other than air.

Diamond Lifetime Member #95!
      Just because its not a Great Koi doesn't mean its not a Great Koi...Me circa 2013

Nuspeed007 is offline Senior Member
      This user has no status.

Feeling:
      ----

Another benefit for raise wall is keeping the leaves, debris out of your pond. Most modern ponds that I see now are slightly raised above, the European & Asia ponds are mostly above ground with glass view panel.

kdh is offline Senior Member
      This user has no status.

Feeling:
      ----

If you do a raised pond. Make it wide enough to sit comfortably on. And understand that if a fish jumps out. It well not be able to get back in. They can also do more damage to themselves as well. You will also be able to get on your knees and observe the koi closer for better view of issues or just to admire.

Fishmover is offline Supporting Member
      This user has no status.

Feeling:
      ----

I think you will be fine at 4 foot depth. As an added precaution, plan to cover your pond in the winter months to retain heat and prevent it from freezing.
      Bigger is almost always better, but if your vision is not for the pond to be raised above ground, and the water table is preventing further digging, then go with 4 feet.

Been ponding for a while, with lots of successes, and lots of failures.

coolwon is offline Senior Member
      is Garfield is my name DIY is my
      game

Feeling:
      Cool

Insulation should be thoroughly vapor sealed to prevent moisture creeping into the material and the insulation over time, just becoming a useless sponge.

Garfield
      Last edited by coolwon; 11-12-2020 at 06:07 PM.
      Find more about Weather in Durban, ZA

This user has no status.

Feeling:
      ----

Thank you all for your comments and suggestions. I don't have an option of raising the pond above ground since the pond sits at the edge of Patio stairs. The idea is to walk on the pond through floating steps (anchored on a Sonotube) and continue on the path. I do like the suggestion of raising perhaps one edge of the pond. This way I can sit on the edge and observe Koi. Great idea!

We are planning on using Concrete Cinder Blocks and filling in with Gunite. Is there an option to add Xypex to Gunite?

game

Feeling:
      Cool

A 4 foot water table, makes it less than 4 foot deep, taking the the thickness of the slab into account ?

Garfield

This user has no status.

Feeling:
      ----

Thanks for pointing that out! We will be going in deeper to account for slab / concrete.

• Remove Ads
        Advertising from Google
        Promoting Koi and Pond
        keeping since 2007

Fishmover is offline Supporting Member
      This user has no status.

Feeling:
      ----

Thanks for pointing that out! We will be going in deeper to account for slab / concrete.
      Make sure and post some pictures along the way.
      Also, feel free to provide your plans for filtration and plumbing, lots of good advice can be given to help minimize some of the painful pitfalls.

Been ponding for a while, with lots of successes, and lots of failures.

UnkleTim is offline Senior Member
      is most excellent

Feeling:
      ----

Ours is 6.5 feet deep. We had ground water issues that put the build on hold for 5 months. Ours is gunite with the polyurea coating.

icu2 is offline Administrator ~ WWKC President
      ~ WWKC Treasurer
      is sorry otters exist

Feeling:
      Annoyed

Welcome to Koiphen!

I have a pond that's about 4' deep and live near the water in Washington state, so our winters are mild
      and wet. I've never had any trouble with that depth. I think as long as it's straight down on the sides, which your
      block obviously would be, it'll keep most wading critters out of the pond. 12,000 gallons is a lot of water so
      I don't think volume is going to be a problem. 22' x 18' is going to need a number of bottom drains to keep that
      large an area free of debris.
      I used block and Xypex but not Gunite. I think I've seen it just sprayed on dirt with rebar... why the block? Are
      you going to fill in the voids in the center of the blocks?
      --Steve

Koiphen 2021 Koi Person of the Year!

This user has no status.

Feeling:
      ----

Thank you. Yes, the blocks would be filled.

Nguyen365 is offline Senior Member
      This user has no status.

Feeling:
      ----

Put in a pump and keep digging

~ WWKC Treasurer
      is sorry otters exist

Feeling:
      Annoyed

Thank you. Yes, the blocks would be filled.
      I've seen builders here mix Xypex in with regular monolithic poured walls and floors but not gunite. I'd ask the
      contractor that will apply it and see if they've used Xypex with their mix before. Or email the Xypex rep.
      for your area and go over your plans with them. They usually can help you with what will and won't work and ways
      to do it:

https://www.xypex.com/contact/distributors/usa
      --Steve

game

Feeling:
      Cool

Quote Originally Posted by icu2 View Post
      I've seen builders here mix Xypex in with regular monolithic poured walls and floors but not gunite. I'd ask the
      contractor that will apply it and see if they've used Xypex with their mix before. Or email the Xypex rep.
      for your area and go over your plans with them. They usually can help you with what will and won't work and ways
      to do it:

https://www.xypex.com/contact/distributors/usa
      I guess there must be gunite and gunite,no damp showing on the outside walls of my swimming pool which are exposed at present.

I am running pipes, electrics and fiber optics under the pool in 4" and 6" pipes into a new underground room next to the house recently completed.

Granted,the gunite has had time to mature, I built the pool in 1973/4.

Garfield.

This user has no status.

Feeling:
      ----

I got a clarification from my Landscape Architect that we are not using Gunite. The idea is to lay the concrete blocks, rebar and pour cement delivered from cement trucks (I thought that was Gunite). Some you mentioned Xypex a waterproofing material. I understand that Xypex can be used either as pre-mixed into cement before we pour or it can painted pond wall. Are there pros and cons either way? Also, besides Xypex are there other good waterproofing methods?

~ WWKC Treasurer
      is sorry otters exist

Feeling:
      Annoyed

I built one of my ponds using block and Xypex and actually used both of those different products.
      Xypex Admix is mixed directly with the concrete before pouring. Xypex Concentrate is mixed with water to make
      a sort of slurry and applied on the interior. My theory in doing it this way was that I used the Admix when I poured the floor
      and fill the blocks... then used the Xypex Concentrate on the interior to help seal the mortar joints in the block walls.
      I've been happy with the results and it's been about 8 years now since it was built.
      --Steve

lomaponder is offline Senior Member
      is My koi go cray cray during
      feedings

Feeling:
      Cool

You better watch out...

I got a clarification from my Landscape Architect that we are not using Gunite. The idea is to lay the concrete blocks, rebar and pour cement delivered from cement trucks (I thought that was Gunite). Some you mentioned Xypex a waterproofing material. I understand that Xypex can be used either as pre-mixed into cement before we pour or it can painted pond wall. Are there pros and cons either way? Also, besides Xypex are there other good waterproofing methods?
      If you mix it INTO the pour, make SURE the mix is run DRYER than usual because the Xypex makes it runny. Didn’t know this and watch one section of my pond pour (8’ X 8’) fall three times !!! ( Oh the memories).

Make your mix master aware of this; if they are not aware.
      "Get your facts first, and then you can distort them as much as you please".
      Mark Twain
      US humorist, novelist, short story author, & wit (1835 - 1910)

https://koiclubofsandiego.org/

• Remove Ads
        Advertising from Google
        Promoting Koi and Pond
        keeping since 2007