• Sneaky
  • Tired

Thread: Poorly koi- any help please

KoiBeginner25 is offline Junior Member
      This user has no status.

Feeling:
      ----

Poorly koi- any help please

Hi all- Iíve come out to check the pond (husbands away- his pond) and one of the smaller koi doesnít seem very well. He was sat at the bottom not moving so I netted him to have a look and his scales are protruding behind his gills on one side. I hope Iíve attached the photos correctly.

I will get my husband to check pond parameters when heís home as that seems a pretty important bit of info- but could anyone maybe know what the issue is? I want to help this little fish as best as I can. Heís active now that Iíve moved him into a container (will add more water and air- was just for photos). There is a brick that is under the filter (as we were recommended) and he had spent a lot of time hiding under there- could it be a wound?

The rest of the fish seem normal and without issue.

Any help is so appreciated.
      Attached Images Attached Images    

RichToyBox is offline Administrator ~
      Koi Health Care Committee Member
      This user has no status.

Feeling:
      Awesome

Quick guess. The fish is what is known as doitsu, generally scaleless, but irregular large scales often. These large scales are easily hung on things and pulled loose, often completely removed. With them loose, and thickened from bacterial infection, it would be best to remove the loose scales and treat the pocket with iodine or hydrogen peroxide to try to stop or slow any additional bacterial infection. Drying the pockets will allow for the application of Triple Antibiotic Ointment (if available). The fish should be sedated using Oil of Clove or MS222 before treating.

"Our goal is to assist with emergency and Koi health issues, as well as educate on best practices. Please help us gain a clear picture by giving the original poster time to answer our questions before offering opinions and suggested treatments."

Zone 7 A/B
      Keep your words sweet. You never know when you may have to eat them.
      Richard

KoiBeginner25 is offline Junior Member
      This user has no status.

Feeling:
      ----

Quote Originally Posted by RichToyBox View Post
      Quick guess. The fish is what is known as doitsu, generally scaleless, but irregular large scales often. These large scales are easily hung on things and pulled loose, often completely removed. With them loose, and thickened from bacterial infection, it would be best to remove the loose scales and treat the pocket with iodine or hydrogen peroxide to try to stop or slow any additional bacterial infection. Drying the pockets will allow for the application of Triple Antibiotic Ointment (if available). The fish should be sedated using Oil of Clove or MS222 before treating.
      Thank you so so much for this information! It is so appreciated! Anything that could have caused this issue has been removed and Iíll be looking to get some supplies ASAP.

Again thank you so much, Rich.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Elsonkoi is offline Member
      This user has no status.

Feeling:
      ----

i would do chloramine T treatment to kill gill bacteria. but your PH needs to be more alkaline side and water above 100ppm hardness to ensure enough safety Margin. you will also need quarantine tank for this. 4 hours bathing every other day. two times in total. please see following source.

https://drjohnson.com/chloramine-t-a...ath-treatment/