• Sneaky
  • Tired

Thread: Fantail Goldfish Health

jgoldbergru is offline Junior Member
      This user has no status.

Feeling:
      ----

Fantail Goldfish Health

I recently within the last month bought a beautiful white and orange fantail from a local pet shop. We did everything you’re suppose to do with a new tank/fish with regard to setup and cleaning. She has been very active and healthy until recently I’ve noticed she spends a lot of time at the top of the tank and appears stressed, swimming erratically and is always tank surfing. I regularly perform water changes and I’ve tested the water quality with multiple brands repeatedly and everything appears to be normal and ideal. I recently added an air stone to provide additional oxygen into the water thinking that would help but it hasn’t. Prior to adding the air stones I noticed she had greyish/ black smudges on her underside. She was all white on most of her body when I got her so this is definitely new. Ammonia, nitrites and nitrates are all normal according to my tetra and API test strips. She has a strong appetite and is definitely active but clearly something is going on with her. She isn’t having any issues with buoyancy and is eating normally. After researching online I saw the majority of pet store fish have flukes from the beginning and since everything else seems normal, I ordered MinnFinn to cover fluke. It won’t be here for a few days and I’m not sure what else I can do in the mean time to help. Looking for any insight and advice. Thanks!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

• Remove Ads
        Advertising from Google
        Promoting Koi and Pond
        keeping since 2007

richtoybox is offline Administrator
      This user has no status.

Feeling:
      Awesome

Without your sharing actual numbers, and the fact that the tank is relatively new, I am going to go with transient ammonia burns, per http://weloveteaching.com/puregold/d...#BLACK%20SPOTS.

It takes filters typically 6 weeks or more to completely cycle, converting all ammonia to nitrites and nitrites to nitrates. The first thing you will find is the fish give off ammonia and it will build up until the filter has developed enough good bacteria to convert all that is being produced to nitrite as fast as it is being produced. The nitrite will build up until the filter developes enough of the other good bacteria to convert all of the nitrite to nitrate. Nitrates will build up between water changes and the water changes will reduce the nitrate level by the same percentage as the percent of water changed.

Ammonia burns skin and gills, so the use of a water treatment like Prime, Safe, or Cloram-X is needed to bind the ammonia in a non-toxic form. There is an Ammonia Alert Card by SeaChem that will tell you if it is toxic or non-toxic as the test strips will show ammonia whether toxic or non-toxic. As the ammonia starts to be converted as stated above nitrites will show up and they are toxic, in that the nitrite will attach to red blood cells converting them to non-oxygen carrying brown blood cells. The use of salt at one pound per hundred gallons will protect the fish from nitrites.
      Zone 7 A/B
      Keep your words sweet. You never know when you may have to eat them.
      Richard

• Remove Ads
        Advertising from Google
        Promoting Koi and Pond
        keeping since 2007