• Meh
  • Piratey
  • Poorly
  • Sad
  • Secret
  • Shy
  • Sneaky
  • Tired

Thread: if its fluke causing bacteria infection, would you treat fluke first or bacteria ?

Elsonkoi is offline Member
      This user has no status.

Feeling:
      ----

if its fluke causing bacteria infection, would you treat fluke first or bacteria ?

which one would you treat first? or Cloramin T to do one shot treatment? Assuming koi is under severe health condition.

SimonW is online now Senior Member
      This user has no status.

Feeling:
      ----

My koi were attacked by fluke and one of them, a little guy of about 10 cm, also got bacterial infections which caused open wounds. Compared to its small body size the wounds were huge.

I first killed the fluke by treating the koi with Fluke-M in combination with F-MG for 1 week, and I hoped that the koi with bacterial infection would heal its wounds by itself. then I found that the wounds on that koi had not improved. So I treated the wounds topically with iodine when I did second Fluke-M + F-MG treatment. After 2 Fluke-M + F-MG treatments and 3 iodine-treatments it healed completely.

RichToyBox is offline Administrator ~
      Koi Health Care Committee Member
      This user has no status.

Feeling:
      Awesome

Because my treatments for bacterial infection were preferred injection of antibiotic, or topical treatment with Tricide Neo, there was no reason to do one first waiting to start the second. Both could be done at the same time. If you are sure it is flukes, then go ahead with Fluke M or Prazi and don't do water changes for a week. Unless you have done a scrape and scope, it very well could be one of the other microscopic parasites, and for that you want to start with 25% water changes before each of three treatments of Proform C or BSDT (formalin/malachite green) with the Fluke treatment added to the third treatment.

Seeing that you are in Canada, the above listed products may or may not be available, but hopefully some form of Triple Antibiotic Ointment is as a last resort treatment for the wounds. All treatments of wounds are best done with fish that have been sedated. For sedation, MS222 or Oil of Cloves work.

"Our goal is to assist with emergency and Koi health issues, as well as educate on best practices. Please help us gain a clear picture by giving the original poster time to answer our questions before offering opinions and suggested treatments."

Zone 7 A/B
      Keep your words sweet. You never know when you may have to eat them.
      Richard

This user has no status.

Feeling:
      ----

Quote Originally Posted by RichToyBox View Post
      Because my treatments for bacterial infection were preferred injection of antibiotic, or topical treatment with Tricide Neo, there was no reason to do one first waiting to start the second. Both could be done at the same time. If you are sure it is flukes, then go ahead with Fluke M or Prazi and don't do water changes for a week. Unless you have done a scrape and scope, it very well could be one of the other microscopic parasites, and for that you want to start with 25% water changes before each of three treatments of Proform C or BSDT (formalin/malachite green) with the Fluke treatment added to the third treatment.

Seeing that you are in Canada, the above listed products may or may not be available, but hopefully some form of Triple Antibiotic Ointment is as a last resort treatment for the wounds. All treatments of wounds are best done with fish that have been sedated. For sedation, MS222 or Oil of Cloves work.
      Hi Rich, canada sucks! lots of popular koi medicine are not available. I heard Cloramin T and PP are very effective against both fluke and bacteria infection but these are better done in quarantine tank . but again these two only reduce bacteria count not solving root problem of bacteria infection.
      Last edited by Elsonkoi; 4 Weeks Ago at 03:09 AM.

*Ci* is online now Senior Member
      is in pond building mode!

Feeling:
      Friendly

Fish meds are severely restricted in Canada. There is some good info in this thread, but a good fluke medication is the most difficult:

https://www.koiphen.com/forums/showt...anadian-issues

This user has no status.

Feeling:
      ----

Quote Originally Posted by GoldieGirl View Post
      Fish meds are severely restricted in Canada. There is some good info in this thread, but a good fluke medication is the most difficult:

https://www.koiphen.com/forums/showt...anadian-issues
      Hi CI, some restricted fish medi are available on Kjiji. i live in Ontario, lots people travel between states and Canada here to buy restricted items.

*Ci* is online now Senior Member
      is in pond building mode!

Feeling:
      Friendly

Quote Originally Posted by Elsonkoi View Post
      Hi CI, some restricted fish medi are available on Kjiji. i live in Ontario, lots people travel between states and Canada here to buy restricted items.
      Lucky you! I visit family members regularly in California and get a lot of my supplies while I’m there ... not this year, however.

RichToyBox is offline Administrator ~
      Koi Health Care Committee Member
      This user has no status.

Feeling:
      Awesome

Quote Originally Posted by Elsonkoi View Post
      Hi Rich, canada sucks! lots of popular koi medicine are not available. I heard Cloramin T and PP are very effective against both fluke and bacteria infection but these are better done in quarantine tank . but again these two only reduce bacteria count not solving root problem of bacteria infection.
      I don't have much experience with Cloramin T, so can't address its pluses and minuses. I have seen the use of PP as a paste applied to ulcers and think it works, but it also has a chance of doing as much damage by burns as it does good. Brady Brandwood had a koi farm in North Carolina called Lotus Land Koi. He used table salt as a paste for treating many of the fish he raised. Swore by it. I think you can probably find a Youtube video on it.

"Our goal is to assist with emergency and Koi health issues, as well as educate on best practices. Please help us gain a clear picture by giving the original poster time to answer our questions before offering opinions and suggested treatments."

Zone 7 A/B
      Keep your words sweet. You never know when you may have to eat them.
      Richard