• Tired

Thread: Pond leak at worst time - not sure what to do

MovingTarget is offline Senior Member
      is Is tired of dealing with sick
      fish

Feeling:
      ----

Pond leak at worst time - not sure what to do

Hi all, well I had a great pond season but I went away for a week and my Father-in-Law watched the pond and fed the fish for me. When I came back he said, "I think you have a leak". It did seem like the water levels were dropping faster than normal.

I'm in CO and we had a cold snap (like below 0) and I blew out my sprinklers (which kept the water level filled every other day). Well the pond dropped about 2 feet over 48 hours or so, it's only 4' deep. Looks like it's still dropping (I thought it stopped but I was wrong).

I have about 30 fish, I also have a Rubbermaid 300 gallon tub I use for quarantine and another one that I think is 150 gallons. Do I try to catch the fish and put them in there? I really don't know where I would put them (finished basement) and does that mean I have to care for them until May (which is when people normally might add fish to their pond)? I don't think my filter is that good and don't know that I have enough space for all those fish.

I have no idea how to find the leak. I don't really know how I could have gotten a leak either, except I do have a red eared slider turtle and I recently read that one tried to burry itself in the bottom of someone's pond and caused issues, I guess maybe that happened and it made a hole but I've had the turtle in there for two winters without problems.

I'm beside myself. I don't want to lose the fish, I don't want to go into debt fixing this, etc. (you can imagine the nightmare).

I just turned on my hose and water is getting in to the pond but I can't keep up on with the water lose all winter. It's an 8k gallon pond and it gets super cold here in the winter.

WTH do I do?

I did contact a local pond shop and waiting for the owner to give me a call but OMG.

ademink is offline Supporting Member ~ Koi Health Care Committee Member
      is Still loving Red Label!

Feeling:
      ----

May be a simple question so forgive me if you already went down this line of troubleshooting....

Is your waterfall running? If so, turn it off and see if your water level keeps dropping.
      Andrea
      Koi Health Care Committee Member

fish

Feeling:
      ----

It's a great question. It is still running. I normally turn it off, but it's so cold right now I can't turn it off because I would have to drain the system and I would freeze don't that right now. It's supposed to warm up in a couple of days. I was going to drain it and turn it off to see if it's the problem. Thanks for the thought, I was just sitting here thinking about that too.

Feeling:
      ----

That is by far the most likely leaking culprit. I'm guessing that the water alone the edges froze and it has formed a small ice dam somewhere, diverting your flow.
      Andrea

fish

Feeling:
      ----

Quote Originally Posted by ademink View Post
      That is by far the most likely leaking culprit. I'm guessing that the water alone the edges froze and it has formed a small ice dam somewhere, diverting your flow.
      Could be but the leak started prior to any freezing, but who knows. I see if I can brave the weather and get it turned off.

Feeling:
      ----

Ahh, ok.

If a turtle dug a hole in the bottom trying to overwinter, that will be a mess. You will need a few 300g tanks and aggressive filtration / water changes to hold them over the winter.

I've done 18 in two 300g daisy-chained stock tanks in my basement during the polar vortex. It was something else. LOL It can be done if it needs to be but you'll have to be really diligent w/ water quality.
      Andrea

fish

Feeling:
      ----

Quote Originally Posted by ademink View Post
      Ahh, ok.

If a turtle dug a hole in the bottom trying to overwinter, that will be a mess. You will need a few 300g tanks and aggressive filtration / water changes to hold them over the winter.

I've done 18 in two 300g daisy-chained stock tanks in my basement during the polar vortex. It was something else. LOL It can be done if it needs to be but you'll have to be really diligent w/ water quality.
      I sincerely hope it doesn't come to that. I don't think I can be that diligent.

I just discovered my hose wasn't filling the pond, it was frozen. I put it in my hot tub and that thawed it quickly! I then just turned off the waterfall and drained the pipes that might freeze (at least I think I got them all) and now I can't feel my hands but we shall see what happens. Thanks and say a prayer

Feeling:
      ----

I will! Keep us posted. It always seems to happen at the worst times, doesn't it???
      Andrea

fish

Feeling:
      ----

Okay it's been over 12 hours since I stopped putting water into the pond and turned off the waterfall, the water level has NOT moved! I'm so relieved! Thank you Andrea for your help and good thoughts.

I'll have to dig into what was going on with the water loss in the Spring. I may have to redo or address the waterfall and stream BUT I won't have to redo the entire pond and lose all the fish, so THAT is something I can deal with!!

Feeling:
      ----

YES! That's the best! :D I'm sure you never thought you'd be so excited over a waterfall leak LOL

I'm glad it's something that will be easy to remedy. Big sigh of relief for you.
      Andrea

fsbbn is offline Senior Member
      This user has no status.

Feeling:
      ----

Just in the event the pond has an issue, you can buy a pool from Walmart for about $300 that is 1500 gal and keep fish over winter in the garage.

SJK is offline Supporting Member
      This user has no status.

Feeling:
      ----

I'm sure glad I read this post before discovering yesterday that my pond water level was down 1/3 from normal. Ended up turning off the water fall which feeds a 35 foot water stream down into the pond. Refilled the pond and watched it. As of this morning it's only down about an inch which is a normal drop, I think due to the overflow valve. Also discovered a crack in the back of the skimmer box in one corner, but my neighbor checked and thinks it only it only drops down as far as the bottom of overflow outlet. So it will have to be repaired but may not be the source of the major leak.

At this point the ponds water temperatures is 50. So I threw a small 1200 gallon all in one filter/uv/ fountain back in the pond and will run that until temps drop below 40 degrees to provide a bit of filtration ans aeration. No sense running all the rest of it as it was about time to shut it down for the winter anyway. Here in Gig Harbor in Western Washington, the pond has been left set for many years during the winter without the pumps running and without a freezing problem. Keeping fingers crossed it'll go that way again this year.
      Last edited by SJK; 4 Weeks Ago at 11:57 PM.