• Sneaky
  • Tired
  • Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: New Pond Problems

ChagoiLover is offline Junior Member
      This user has no status.

Feeling:
      ----

Just to give an update. I just checked my pond parameters.
      Ammonia: 0 ppm
      Nitrite: .50 ppm
      Nitrate: 10 ppm
      pH: 8

The pond looks like it is clearing up a little bit from its brown water, but I did have the UV on for about two days. I did turn it off to see the difference. As for the nitrite levels, is it weird that the nitrite is going down that rapidly? I may have the done the testing wrong yesterday that's why it resulted in higher nitrite readings. But today I tested two parts of my pond and got the same reading of .50 ppm. I guess what I am asking is, does the nitrite levels decrease that rapidly? Thank you

SimonW is online now Senior Member
      This user has no status.

Feeling:
      ----

I agree totally with Richard about salt.

I have used salt to remedy nitrite for >1 year now and my koi are just fine.

My bigger koi have actually lived in 0.8% (in the beginning) to 0.4% salt for this whole summer (3 months), as I used salt to kill parasites, and my smaller koi lived in constant 0.6% salt as long because the new biofilter just refused to pass the nitrite stage (last fall the biofilter of one of my wintering tank took some good 3 months before it got through it), while I was also afraid that they still carried parasites after formalin/malachite and fluke-M treatment. In both cases the nitrite readings were far higher than my nitrite kit could show (2 ppm).

By the way, 100-fold higher chloride ion is good enough to remedy nitrite according to a paper. So if you have 1 ppm nitrite 100 ppm chloride is good enough, which is only about 0.02% salt.

What I have learned is that koi is highly tolerant against salt up to 0.8%. Of course, never go higher than 0.9% unless you are doing short-time dip-treatment.

My own practice is now constant 0.05-0.1% salt, as I have never succeeded in getting nitrite to zero. Always 0.1-0.4 ppm.
      Last edited by SimonW; 10-28-2020 at 07:24 PM.

icu2 is online now Administrator ~ WWKC Treasurer
      is playing on Koiphen

Feeling:
      Friendly

Quote Originally Posted by ChagoiLover View Post

The pond looks like it is clearing up a little bit from its brown water, but I did have the UV on for about two days. I did turn it off to see the difference. As for the nitrite levels, is it weird that the nitrite is going down that rapidly? I may have the done the testing wrong yesterday that's why it resulted in higher nitrite readings. But today I tested two parts of my pond and got the same reading of .50 ppm. I guess what I am asking is, does the nitrite levels decrease that rapidly? Thank you
      My initial thought would be a mistake when doing the test, but I don't know what effect Prime has on nitrite tests.
      Here's a chart of a "typical" nitrification cycle and anticipated time frames:

Name:  nitrification cycle.jpg
Views: 25
Size:  58.0 KB
      --Steve

Control your own destiny or someone else will.

---Jack Welch

RichToyBox is offline Administrator ~
      Koi Health Care Committee Member
      This user has no status.

Feeling:
      Awesome

Quote Originally Posted by ChagoiLover View Post

The fact that the nitrite is going down and there is nitrate, you may be getting close to the end of the cycle. Your salt level is more than plenty to protect the fish from the nitrites. Continue to test and see if the nitrite continues to fall, showing near completion of the cycle.

"Our goal is to assist with emergency and Koi health issues, as well as educate on best practices. Please help us gain a clear picture by giving the original poster time to answer our questions before offering opinions and suggested treatments."

Zone 7 A/B
      Keep your words sweet. You never know when you may have to eat them.
      Richard

ChagoiLover is offline Junior Member
      This user has no status.

Feeling:
      ----

Thank you so much to everyone that has helped me with this problem! I am going to continue what I am doing as it seems correct. I will keep you guys posted!

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12