• Sneaky
  • Tired

Thread: 2020 Goshiki x Goshiki

spkennyva is offline Senior Member
      This user has no status.

Feeling:
      ----

2020 Goshiki x Goshiki

I've mention this cross in my Platinum-Ogon thread, but this is my first dedicated thread on this year's Goshiki pairing. As I mentioned in the Ogon thread, this Goshiki x Goshiki pairing resulted in a very low yield (7 fish, 4 with patterns and 3 pure white). As always, I appreciate any feedback. Here are a few pics of the outcome:

Name:  20201024_160347[1].jpg
Views: 480
Size:  32.5 KB
      Name:  20201024_160343[1].jpg
Views: 437
Size:  33.4 KB
      Name:  20201024_160400[1].jpg
Views: 418
Size:  35.2 KB
      Name:  20201024_160355[1].jpg
Views: 427
Size:  38.7 KB
      Name:  20201024_160351[1].jpg
Views: 419
Size:  29.6 KB
      Last edited by spkennyva; 10-24-2020 at 10:18 PM.

• Remove Ads
        Advertising from Google
        Promoting Koi and Pond
        keeping since 2007

Orlando is offline Senior Member
      This user has no status.

Feeling:
      ----

Could you please post pictures of the parent koi (oyagoi) and there origin ( breeder's) did you take pictures of the younger fry? If so could you post some, thanks in advance.
      Last edited by Orlando; 10-24-2020 at 11:44 PM.

This user has no status.

Feeling:
      ----

Female came from Kawakami, and the male came from Purden. Sorry, but I don't have earlier pictures. (I'll check my phone, but I'm pretty sure I don't)

Female:
      Name:  blaze_LI.jpg
Views: 394
Size:  98.0 KB

Male:

Name:  scortch_LI.jpg
Views: 397
Size:  39.2 KB
      Last edited by spkennyva; 10-25-2020 at 12:35 AM.

Matt24 is offline Senior Member
      is watchin' em grow

Feeling:
      ----

The three-stepped one at the top looks interesting. I'd also like to see the parents to know what makes these. I have a darker goshiki male, but understand they can vary a lot from that look.

[Edit: Oh, I see you got the adults posted shortly before I made this reply. They are really nice, and the female if very dark, even more than my male.]
      Last edited by Matt24; 10-25-2020 at 12:45 AM.

This user has no status.

Feeling:
      ----

Yes, the female is quite dark. The male has since darkened too, but not to the same degree as the female. I like them both, but I tend to prefer the darker Goshiki. Hopefully next spring I can get a better yield.

Thanks for the comments.

This user has no status.

Feeling:
      ----

Thanks, one of the things I new from the beginning was never to cross Goshiki from different lines; some come from Asagi blood lines others from Aka Sanke's the third one escapes me for the moment. The reason I was also asking for fry pictures was to see a sample of what fry you culled I could be wrong here but none of those fry to me look to be Goshiki, there are certain markings on the smaller Goshiki that makes them easier ID all post a picture so you can see what to look for when they are very young.Name:  Goshikifryjul2714j.jpg
Views: 379
Size:  84.3 KB

This user has no status.

Feeling:
      ----

Orlando,

Thank you for the comments! I was told that the male Goshiki is from Kano lineage. Would you happen to know how Kano and Kawakami created their Goshiki ?

When I said there were 7 fish, that was basically the total (2 were culled for deformities, but none for color or pattern). I can't say for certain what happened to result in such a poor survival.

This user has no status.

Feeling:
      ----

It's a learning curve one will always learn something, spawnings are like that until we understand what the results will be with certain parents and please remember that I said I could be in error. As far as knowing the original lineage of different breeder's I haven't done any of that research. One thing I could recommend if you have a nice female kohaku it would be to cross her with your male Goshiki or vice versa if you have a male kohaku cross him with your female Goshiki. In my case I started with a female Goshiki with a male kohaku.

is watchin' em grow

Feeling:
      ----

My male goshiki is also from Hiroshi Kanno, and it has always been much darker than that picture of your male. So I am a little surprised they are both from Kanno. But then again, mine is old (bought at 10" in 2004). So Kanno could have a totally different line going by now.

This user has no status.

Feeling:
      ----

Quote Originally Posted by Matt24 View Post
      My male goshiki is also from Hiroshi Kanno, and it has always been much darker than that picture of your male. So I am a little surprised they are both from Kanno. But then again, mine is old (bought at 10" in 2004). So Kanno could have a totally different line going by now.
      Thanks Matt. The picture of my male was taken by the breeder before I got him. He has since gotten much darker, but still nothing close to the female.

• Remove Ads
        Advertising from Google
        Promoting Koi and Pond
        keeping since 2007

This user has no status.

Feeling:
      ----

Orlando’s recent post inspired me to post my future Goshiki breeding plans. Here Orlando noted the difficulty crossing Goshiki from different breeders. So in our attempt to breed something that more closely resembles Kuro Goshiki, this past spring we acquired two additional Kawakami Goshiki. These were small, but have grown well over the summer and are progressing nicely. We bought them without knowing their sex, and still don’t know, but our hope is that at least one is a male to use with our existing female Kawakami Kuro Goshiki. Hopefully my "Goshiki luck” will improve and I won't have three females…..

Here are pictures of the new Goshiki (Ignore the Torazo Kohaku in the pic):

Just after quarantine:
      Name:  Goshiki.jpg
Views: 260
Size:  107.6 KB

Mid-summer: First tosai next to female:
      Name:  Blaze.jpg
Views: 256
Size:  117.4 KB

Second Toasi:

Name:  Nova.jpg
Views: 249
Size:  106.8 KB

This user has no status.

Feeling:
      ----

They look pretty nice and I could be off on one of them but they both appear to be male's and all share this I have a female Kuro Goshiki F1 that for the first two years I thought was a male their bodies shapes makes it tricky to sex them correctly at young stages. That was my first goal to produce a female Goshiki with a Gosanke frame that had the quality to move forward with my Goshiki it only took 11 years to accomplish that, if I may I would recommend that you would also consider a cross with a female kohaku if you happen to have one that you would consider for breeding.
      Last edited by Orlando; 01-29-2022 at 03:00 PM.

This user has no status.

Feeling:
      ----

Thanks Orlando!! I definitely hope you're right with at least one. Yes, I do have one confirmed female kohaku, and 4 others that have not been determined yet - I'll definitely keep your suggestion in mind.

is watchin' em grow

Feeling:
      ----

Sounds like a really cool breeding project. Goshiki have a lot of interesting characteristics going on. Hope it works out so you can pair them up.

This user has no status.

Feeling:
      ----

Thanks Matt! Having only dabbled in koi breeding, I realize that the odds of getting a respectable Goshiki are VERY low, but the journey is fun nonetheless! Hopefully, we can get another shot this spring. I'll keep this thread updated on what happens.

Best of luck to you this spring!

• Remove Ads
        Advertising from Google
        Promoting Koi and Pond
        keeping since 2007