• Sneaky
  • Tired

Thread: Koi transfer: Aquarium to Pond

Chasadilla is offline Junior Member
      This user has no status.

Feeling:
      ----

Koi transfer: Aquarium to Pond

I was just curious, I have 2 butterfly koi in a 50 gal aquarium. I just bought these last month when they were 3-4 inches. Now, one is about 5.5 in, and the other is about an inch larger.

When would it be appropriate to transfer them into the pond? I would like to wait for them to get as big as possible in the aquarium since we have large toads and birds in my area but obviously I don't want to risk their health.

A few years ago we had a bunch of feeder fish in the pond to just see how they would do, there were maybe 7 or 8 5-8 inch fish and for a year they did great for a year. They mated and there were roughly 100 fish in the pond and within a couple months all of them had disappeared.

We added a fake bird to our pond and we may do a net depending on how big the fish can get in this aquarium.

Any info helps thank you.

icu2 is offline Administrator ~ WWKC Treasurer
      is playing on Koiphen

Feeling:
      Friendly

Welcome to Koiphen and thanks for joining!

Temp's are dropping in WA so if you can I'd keep them indoors until next spring when temps are 55-60* range.
      I think heron or raccoons are more apt to make a meal out of them as opposed to toads, especially if the pond
      is under 3' deep. Raccoons will usually leave carcasses around but a heron can clean out a pond of smaller fish
      very quickly without a trace.

Enjoy the forum!
      --Steve

Control your own destiny or someone else will.

---Jack Welch

joe09 is offline Senior Member
      This user has no status.

Feeling:
      ----

Quote Originally Posted by icu2 View Post

Temp's are dropping in WA so if you can I'd keep them indoors until next spring when temps are 55-60* range.
      I think heron or raccoons are more apt to make a meal out of them as opposed to toads, especially if the pond
      is under 3' deep. Raccoons will usually leave carcasses around but a heron can clean out a pond of smaller fish

Enjoy the forum!
      i agree with ku2 wait until the two temps are about equal.before you transfer fish .less stress on them .koi are not really good in tanks,make sure you do weekly water changes.and test water

Chasadilla is offline Junior Member
      This user has no status.

Feeling:
      ----

Quote Originally Posted by icu2 View Post

Enjoy the forum!

I appreciate the response. Pond is about 4 and 1/2 feet deep at one end. Not sure if this makes a difference but yes, we definitely have both herons and raccoons. They probably did help themselves to a lot of fish.

I guess what I am curious about though is this:
      1. At what point (size) can I transfer Koi into the pond without worrying about too many predators? (Or do I just need to put a net on it - how do I best keep them safe)
      2. How large can I let my koi get in this aquarium before I have to transfer them in order to not stunt their growth?

icu2 is offline Administrator ~ WWKC Treasurer
      is playing on Koiphen

Feeling:
      Friendly

Reading stories here for years it seems it matters less about what physical size they are if the pond is
      built in a way that allows predictors a way to hunt. If the walls are at a bit of a slope to the max depth
      or one end of the pond is ~3' or less deep and slopes down to the 4 1/2' depth, I'm afraid no matter what
      length they are they have the chance to be injured or killed.
      I don't think an aquarium is really adequate for koi even at their current size, but if you're able to keep
      the water healthy until spring, I'd move them as soon as you can bring the aquarium to the same
      stable temp and pH as the pond.
      Since the other fish succumbed the way they did I think you will be safest if the pond is well covered by
      a net.
      --Steve

Control your own destiny or someone else will.

---Jack Welch