• Sneaky
  • Tired

Thread: Koi in distress

KoiFriend20 is offline Junior Member
      This user has no status.

Feeling:
      ----

Exclamation Koi in distress

My boss has a large koi pond behind our office. Most of the koi we have now have been with us for about 5 years. While our office was shut down due to lockdown, my boss had a guy come in and set up a new filtration system, some water features, and started putting chemicals in. The fish have never had a problem up until then. When we came back after 6 weeks, fish we've had about 1 fish die every month or so. They look like they have lost their scales or the scales are patchy. Their fins are clamped to their back. Some look almost transparent and the colors have faded. They continuously jump out of the water. I know they are not healthy. I am unsure where to start. I have suggested having the water tested. My boss is doing water changes frequently, adding bacteria, and something he calls sludge eater.

KoiRun is offline Senior Member
      This user has no status.

Feeling:
      Happy

While waiting for water test results, most importantly ammonia, nitrite, ph (the drop tests are better as suppose to the strip tests), please post a picture of the pond, fish, and filters.
      Other important tests are Kh and nitrate.
      Time you enjoy wasting is not wasted time. ---- Marthe Troly-Curtin

KoiRun on YouTube, latest video:
      https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PmiHmpbWEOY&t=170s

This user has no status.

Feeling:
      ----

This is a link to the pictures and video. It appears some seem to have grey to black spots all over them including their fins. It looks almost like mold.
      https://drive.google.com/drive/folde...vH?usp=sharing

coolwon is offline Senior Member
      is Garfield is my name DIY is my
      game

Feeling:
      Cool

It looks like the pond pump is not pumping enough water through the filters and turning over the stale water for the volume of the pond and number of fish.

The water looks stale and lifeless.

The fish are probably not getting enough oxygen.

A couple of 2" pipes dribbling water back into the pond is doing no good.

Set up an aerator air pump with 200mm flat air stones and get the water boiling.

Pull the log out of the pond, it might be releasing harmful resins and rotting toxins into the water which is affecting the fish.

The fish appear to want be full of life .

Is the filter maintenance being carried regularly?

Garfield
      Find more about Weather in Durban, ZA

This user has no status.

Feeling:
      ----

Quote Originally Posted by coolwon View Post
      It looks like the pond pump is not pumping enough water through the filters and turning over the stale water for the volume of the pond and number of fish.

The water looks stale and lifeless.

The fish are probably not getting enough oxygen.

A couple of 2" pipes dribbling water back into the pond is doing no good.

Set up an aerator air pump with 200mm flat air stones and get the water boiling.

Pull the log out of the pond, it might be releasing harmful resins and rotting toxins into the water which is affecting the fish.

The fish appear to want be full of life .

Is the filter maintenance being carried regularly?

Garfield
      We do have an aerator on the far side of the pond. I will to him about the log. Filter is checked at least once a week with the water changes.

coolwon is offline Senior Member
      is Garfield is my name DIY is my
      game

Feeling:
      Cool

What was the reason for changing the original filter?

How do the old and new filters compare size wise?

How do the pumps compare size wise?

How much rubbish is sitting on the bottom of the pond rotting and giving off anaerobic toxic gases.

Somebody has to constantly take care of the pond and the fishes needs.

I would think business ponds could be neglected.

Would it be worth calling in a KOI guy to maintain it?

Garfield.
      Find more about Weather in Durban, ZA

RichToyBox is offline Administrator ~
      Koi Health Care Committee Member
      This user has no status.

Feeling:
      Awesome

As was mentioned above, we like to start with numbers for ammonia, nitrite, nitrate, pH, KH and water temperature. Good water is key to good koi health, either maintenance or healing. The fact that the pond has green water indicates the filters are undersized for the pond, as green water algae needs ammonia to thrive, and if the filters were adequately sized then the water would not be green, once the filters are cycled which can take 6 to 8 weeks during warm weather.

Based on the description of the fishes activities, I would say that there is a high probability of parasites. Parasites are opportunistic, striking fish that are distressed. The distress probably started when the new filter was installed as there was essentially no active filtration once the old filter was removed until the new filter cycles. For parasites, you will need Proform C or BSDT (formalin/malachite green) for the majority of the smaller parasites, Prazi or Fluke M for the flukes which are a little larger, and Dimilin for fish lice and anchor worm. The black spots on the fish sound like fish lice which if looked at seriously will be a very dark green and will move from one part of the fish to another. I would treat with all three treatments, starting with the formalin/malachite green, three treatments, one per day with a 25% wter change before each dose. With the third treatment add the fluke treatment and the Dimilin and don't change water for a week or longer.

"Our goal is to assist with emergency and Koi health issues, as well as educate on best practices. Please help us gain a clear picture by giving the original poster time to answer our questions before offering opinions and suggested treatments."

Zone 7 A/B
      Keep your words sweet. You never know when you may have to eat them.
      Richard