Thread: Dedicated Koi Pond DIY Build by Novice

dwmilligan is offline Junior Member
      This user has no status.

Feeling:
      ----

Quote Originally Posted by coolwon View Post
      The direction of you pond returns?

Garfield.
      I don't recall where I saw it but I read that all the returns should face the skimmer so that it pushes debris into the skimmer.

Doug

Fishmover is offline Supporting Member
      This user has no status.

Feeling:
      ----

Quote Originally Posted by dwmilligan View Post
      OK, Well I've taken some time and rethought the layout, adding a second pump. I'm hoping I have this close, please give me some feedback.

Attachment 605331

Attachment 605341

I like your layout, one addition I would make is 1 or 2 underwater returns below where the water fall enters the pond. This will act as your winter bypass.

Been ponding for a while, with lots of successes, and lots of failures.

icu2 is online now Administrator ~ WWKC Treasurer
      is playing on Koiphen

Feeling:
      Friendly

Desired tpr currents with two BD's...

Name:  Steve tpr design.jpg
Views: 90
Size:  85.4 KB

The tpr's (underwater returns) should be 12" or so from the pond bottom. You
      want them to help debris reach the BD's. Skimmers will collect debris without any
      help with surface currents other than prevailing wind direction.
      --Steve

Control your own destiny or someone else will.

---Jack Welch

coolwon is offline Senior Member
      is Garfield is my name DIY is my
      game

Feeling:
      Cool

If I am not mistaken you set up all your returns to get your whole mass of water turning in a circular motion.

This creates a vortex and draws all floor dirt toward the bottom drains which have the drag of the pump as well as the columns of air making there way to the surface.

The motion of the fishes body and fins will also assist to drive the dirt into the sloping depression you have built

around your bottom drains.

The prevailing wind will drive the the surface dirt to the perimeter of the pond walls and the skimmer will then drag it in as it attempts to go by.

Garfield
      Find more about Weather in Durban, ZA

This user has no status.

Feeling:
      ----

Quote Originally Posted by Fishmover View Post
      I like your layout, one addition I would make is 1 or 2 underwater returns below where the water fall enters the pond. This will act as your winter bypass.
      Could you elaborate on the winter bypass TPR, the whole winter operation planning is still something I don't have a plan for. I live in the Chicago area, so cold and snowy winters. I know I'll want to drain the lines so they don't freeze but aside from that and an aerator, what will be running? What is the purpose in the winter bypass TPR and how would I run that?

Thanks a lot of the help.

Doug

This user has no status.

Feeling:
      ----

Could you elaborate on the winter bypass TPR, the whole winter operation planning is still something I don't have a plan for. I live in the Chicago area, so cold and snowy winters. I know I'll want to drain the lines so they don't freeze but aside from that and an aerator, what will be running? What is the purpose in the winter bypass TPR and how would I run that?

Thanks a lot of the help.

Doug
      Winter bypass is assuming you will be running your filters during the winter. I know I do, but not every one does.
      The bypass is so that you can run the pump the feeds your waterfall, but instead of the water going to the waterfall, there are lines underneath the water level inside the pond that the water would come out of.

This user has no status.

Feeling:
      ----

Quote Originally Posted by Fishmover View Post
      Winter bypass is assuming you will be running your filters during the winter. I know I do, but not every one does.
      The bypass is so that you can run the pump the feeds your waterfall, but instead of the water going to the waterfall, there are lines underneath the water level inside the pond that the water would come out of.
      Is the thought that since the fish aren't eating and therefore creating waste, I can have the pumps shut off during the winter?

Doug

This user has no status.

Feeling:
      ----

Here's an updated sketch with the TPRs adjusted. Is it ok that the BDs are running directly to a sieve? Seems like it would get clogged up pretty quickly there. I'm also now looking at DIYing a sand/gravel filter along side of a moving bed filter. Everything will also likely end up in a filter pit. Couple other questions... I'm planning on running 2 pumps and 2 air pumps, how do I size those correctly?

thanks,

Doug

Name:  pond design 3.jpg
Views: 87
Size:  49.8 KB

SoloBucky is offline Junior Member
      This user has no status.

Feeling:
      ----

I'm no expert but it looks like a solid plan.

Noticed your location, I'm just up the road from you in Cary. I documented my smaller build I did during the start of the pandemic. If you didn't see it you can check it out.

https://www.koiphen.com/forums/showt...mic-Pond-Build

I was on a tight budget and had to go old school with a settlement chamber. Hope to have some coin to add a RDF in the future. I have to pull the filters in the SC and rinse them every week along with backwashing the bead filter.. Also do a big clean every couple of months. It's maintenance, but not too bad.

For winter I'm shutting down the waterfall and most of the pumps. I'll keep the bottom drain aeration going along with a pump I have in the skimmer and add a couple of deicer/heaters. I had a water garden with some goldfish and koi before this and the fish survived just fine doing the same thing. Even through the **** polar vortex!

This user has no status.

Feeling:
      ----

Here's a shot of it towards the end of this summer. For a budget DIY I feel it turned out ok.

Name:  0828201905.jpg
Views: 84
Size:  166.1 KB

This user has no status.

Feeling:
      ----

Is the thought that since the fish aren't eating and therefore creating waste, I can have the pumps shut off during the winter?

Doug
      For me it is peace of mind the lines will not freeze if water is moving through them. At the end of the day it is a personal decision.

This user has no status.

Feeling:
      ----

Quote Originally Posted by SoloBucky View Post
      Here's a shot of it towards the end of this summer. For a budget DIY I feel it turned out ok.
      Wow, that looks fantastic, great job! Is your settlement tank gravity fed?

game

Feeling:
      Cool

Peter Waddington introduced return pipes to ponds, referred to as TPR'rs TANGENTIAL POND RETURNS.

The TPR were positioned just above the pond floor, about a foot or so at equal spacing above the floor level. "50 MM"

They entered the pond at a tangent, pointing at an angle but slightly down for the water leaving the outlet too hit the cornice between the wall and the bottom and scour and sweep the

accumulating dirt toward the bottom drains but down the way, and still get this massive volume of water turning around the pond to eradicate any dead spots.

You are going to a lot of trouble to build your pond,why reduce the end at the skimmer end?

It's all about looking back in the long run. I should have, I could have.

The more water,the bigger fish.True fish keepers ponds are all about BIG IS BEST.

Garfield

This user has no status.

Feeling:
      ----

Quote Originally Posted by coolwon View Post
      Peter Waddington introduced return pipes to ponds, referred to as TPR'rs TANGENTIAL POND RETURNS.

The TPR were positioned just above the pond floor, about a foot or so at equal spacing above the floor level. "50 MM"

They entered the pond at a tangent, pointing at an angle but slightly down for the water leaving the outlet too hit the cornice between the wall and the bottom and scour and sweep the

accumulating dirt toward the bottom drains but down the way, and still get this massive volume of water turning around the pond to eradicate any dead spots.

You are going to a lot of trouble to build your pond,why reduce the end at the skimmer end?

It's all about looking back in the long run. I should have, I could have.

The more water,the bigger fish.True fish keepers ponds are all about BIG IS BEST.

Garfield
      Are you referring to the shape of the pond? I had it tapered at the skimmer end just to give it some character. It also fits my landscape a lot better that way.

game

Feeling:
      Cool

Are you referring to the shape of the pond? I had it tapered at the skimmer end just to give it some character. It also fits my landscape a lot better that way.
      Good reasons, kidney shaped,nice flowing curves with very little resistance to the moving circular water motion.

No possible dead spots.

Garfield .

This user has no status.

Feeling:
      ----

Wow, that looks fantastic, great job! Is your settlement tank gravity fed?
      Thanks.

Yep gravity fed. Unless you're constrained by by your environment, gravity fed seems to be the preferred way to go.

This user has no status.

Feeling:
      ----

Yes agreed, I just couldn't tell from your photos. It didn't really look like it was but thanks for clarifying.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12