• Meh
  • Piratey
  • Poorly
  • Sad
  • Secret
  • Shy
  • Sneaky
  • Tired

Thread: What are we recommending for UV these days?

Sp00ks is offline Senior Member
      This user has no status.

Feeling:
      ----

What are we recommending for UV these days?

Evo110 is dead Jim.
      I think it's the ballast but the push on connectors are disintegrating as well.
      I got it to work twice but when I put the caps on, it wouldn't work... (Fast flash)
      I cut the connectors off and used butt type connectors just to rule out a connection issue.
      I jumped the connectors to rule out a bulb (and bulbs tested ok)
      I wired the ballast straight up to rule out the EVO electronic boards, nothing.

I don't know how and can't find any definitive sources to tell me how to test an "electronic" ballast.
      I can find a ballast but it isn't cheap for a ballast as a shot in the dark resolution.

I thought it may just be time for a new UV at this point. Fish are fine but I'd like to see them by next spring

9500 gallons
      Linear flow
      two 8500's on the bottom drain lines
      8500 on the skimmer line, pinched.

How large of a UV do I need, the 110 handled the GPH like a champ. I currently have it installed after filters on the bottom drain line before the shower. I can pinch off the flow for dwell time if needed and I can replumb if needed.

Thanks!
      Jerry

Opportunity is missed by most people because it is dressed in overalls and looks like work.
      - Thomas A. Edison

MCAsan is offline Senior Member
      This user has no status.

Feeling:
      ----

I have great success with Jabeo 75watt units. Good value for the money. I have one one each of two Periha 25000 pumps that feed a shower. You can always run two or more in parallel if you want flow >5000gph.
      Last edited by MCAsan; 2 Weeks Ago at 03:17 PM.

spkennyva is offline Member
      This user has no status.

Feeling:
      ----

I've had the evo 110 for more than 8 years without a single problem. When mine fails, I plan to rebuild it unless the housing fails. Ballast and connectors will be replaced.

It appears this is the ballast: https://www.homedepot.com/p/Fulham-1...20-L/204713191

You should be able to buy connectors as well.

coolwon is offline Senior Member
      is Garfield is my name DIY is my
      game

Feeling:
      Cool

Quote Originally Posted by Sp00ks View Post
      Evo110 is dead Jim.
      I think it's the ballast but the push on connectors are disintegrating as well.
      I got it to work twice but when I put the caps on, it wouldn't work... (Fast flash)
      I cut the connectors off and used butt type connectors just to rule out a connection issue.
      I jumped the connectors to rule out a bulb (and bulbs tested ok)
      I wired the ballast straight up to rule out the EVO electronic boards, nothing.

I don't know how and can't find any definitive sources to tell me how to test an "electronic" ballast.
      I can find a ballast but it isn't cheap for a ballast as a shot in the dark resolution.

I thought it may just be time for a new UV at this point. Fish are fine but I'd like to see them by next spring

9500 gallons
      Linear flow
      two 8500's on the bottom drain lines
      8500 on the skimmer line, pinched.

How large of a UV do I need, the 110 handled the GPH like a champ. I currently have it installed after filters on the bottom drain line before the shower. I can pinch off the flow for dwell time if needed and I can replumb if needed.

Thanks!
      Start out by testing the socket outlet with a meter, and then move in steps till you get to the live and neutral entering the ballast.

That should give you some idea.

Garfield.
      Find more about Weather in Durban, ZA

This user has no status.

Feeling:
      ----

Quote Originally Posted by MCAsan View Post
      I have great success with Jabeo 75watt units. Good value for the money. I have one one each of two Periha 25000 pumps that feed a shower. You can always run two or more in parallel if you want flow >5000gph.
      I've thought about running two of these, what are the replacement bulbs costing you?

I could easily replumb and/or improve some things and get these to work. I never really liked the way I had the EVO plumbed in the first place.
      Jerry

Opportunity is missed by most people because it is dressed in overalls and looks like work.
      - Thomas A. Edison

This user has no status.

Feeling:
      ----

Quote Originally Posted by spkennyva View Post
      I've had the evo 110 for more than 8 years without a single problem. When mine fails, I plan to rebuild it unless the housing fails. Ballast and connectors will be replaced.

It appears this is the ballast: https://www.homedepot.com/p/Fulham-1...20-L/204713191

You should be able to buy connectors as well.
      I found exact replacement of the ballast for $65. The one you linked looks like it would work as well. I can't for the life of me find the bulb sockets. I find some that may work but it's a gamble. If they are too big the black screw on caps won't make a seal with the o ring on the quartz sleeves.
      Jerry

- Thomas A. Edison

This user has no status.

Feeling:
      ----

Quote Originally Posted by Sp00ks View Post
      I found exact replacement of the ballast for $65. The one you linked looks like it would work as well. I can't for the life of me find the bulb sockets. I find some that may work but it's a gamble. If they are too big the black screw on caps won't make a seal with the o ring on the quartz sleeves.
      Just found these. The picture on the azponds site looks correct. Caveat: I have not seen these in person, so I'm assuming that these are the correct parts. Nor have I dealt with either of these companies.

https://www.azponds.com/product/evol...lampholder-t8/

https://playitkoi.com/products/evolu...31530715545670

This user has no status.

Feeling:
      ----

Quote Originally Posted by spkennyva View Post
      Just found these. The picture on the azponds site looks correct. Caveat: I have not seen these in person, so I'm assuming that these are the correct parts. Nor have I dealt with either of these companies.

https://www.azponds.com/product/evol...lampholder-t8/

https://playitkoi.com/products/evolu...31530715545670
      omg, I thought my Google Foo was strong.....that is it. I've ordered from AZ in the past. If I can get those, i will give rebuilding a shot. Thank you very much.
      Jerry

- Thomas A. Edison

This user has no status.

Feeling:
      ----

Please let us know how it turns out!

This user has no status.

Feeling:
      ----

Ordered new O rings and push on connectors. I'll do a ballast and new bulbs while I'm at it. (Bulbs check ok with a meter) I'll try and use the EVO electronics but I'll bypass them if I have to. Even if I buy a direct replacement ballast, this is still cheaper than a new one.
      Jerry

- Thomas A. Edison