• Sneaky
  • Tired

Thread: Koi and aquatic turtles

TaishoSanshoku is offline Member
      This user has no status.

Feeling:
      ----

Koi and aquatic turtles

Can koi live in a pond with two aquatic turtles?

• Remove Ads
        Advertising from Google
        Promoting Koi and Pond
        keeping since 2007

cottagefog is offline Senior Member
      This user has no status.

Feeling:
      ----

To give you a simple answer to your question that would be a YES.

Then you have to consider the factors. Size of the turtles. What kind of turtles. Size of the koi. Size of the pond.

Small koi, in a small pond for hungry turtles will be a challenge for the koi to survive. Fish are on the menu for aquatic turtles.

The larger the koi, the less likely they will end up on the menu.

I have a friend that has painted turtles in his koi pond. When he throws in koi food pellets the turtles swim in with the koi to eat the pellets!

Good luck

joe09 is offline Senior Member
      This user has no status.

Feeling:
      ----

Quote Originally Posted by cottagefog View Post
      To give you a simple answer to your question that would be a YES.

Then you have to consider the factors. Size of the turtles. What kind of turtles. Size of the koi. Size of the pond.

Small koi, in a small pond for hungry turtles will be a challenge for the koi to survive. Fish are on the menu for aquatic turtles.

The larger the koi, the less likely they will end up on the menu.

I have a friend that has painted turtles in his koi pond. When he throws in koi food pellets the turtles swim in with the koi to eat the pellets!

Good luck
      i had a red ear slider that made its home in my pond it was there for several years.eating fish food
      ,and all was well than one day, the turtle started attacking one of my biggest and nicest koi.i would not put a turtle in my pond

skypointer is offline Junior Member
      This user has no status.

Feeling:
      ----

I agree with joe09. Don't do it. I took in two rescue turtles (red ear sliders) and while there was no overt conflict between them and the koi, I've noticed that after a year the turtles are thriving and the koi have remained small. The fish also -- hard to describe -- seem spooked. For many years of raising koi, I have had a pickerel plant growing in the middle of the pond. It always did well, coming and going, breaking off, putting out new rhizomes. With the turtles, it is half gone. They seem to eat the fish food AND the plants. I want to get rid of them, and if anyone can suggest a good way to catch them, I'd be grateful. They are very quick in the water.

MovingTarget is offline Senior Member
      is Is tired of dealing with sick
      fish

Feeling:
      ----

I've had a red eared slider in with my koi for the last 3 years. No issues at all. The turtle doesn't bother the koi, if anything the koi like to mess with the turtle. She (the turtle) has at least doubled in size this last summer, and eats the koi food. I can't keep plants in my pond because the koi eat them, so no turtle related issues there either.

My biggest problem was my father-in-law "saving the turtle's life" when he pulled her out during hibernation and brought her back to a normal existence all while we were away for a week, he put her in a large bowl. I had to buy an aquarium, heater, food, etc. to keep the turtle alive over the winter. I told him "let's see what happens" and he's left the turtle alone ever since and she's doing great.

• Remove Ads
        Advertising from Google
        Promoting Koi and Pond
        keeping since 2007