• Sneaky
  • Tired

Thread: Sealing Treated Wood

3791eddie is offline Junior Member
      This user has no status.

Feeling:
      ----

Sealing Treated Wood

I am building my BOG for my above ground pond. I used treated wood as the main frame. I have trim that would be exposed to rain with the potential of having it run into the pond. My pond is 750 gallons. I wasn't aware on how potentially dangerous the treated wood could be until after the pond and BOG were built. Is there a sealer that I can use that is safe to protect the chemicals from the treated wood from leaching into the pond?

• Remove Ads
        Advertising from Google
        Promoting Koi and Pond
        keeping since 2007

batman is offline Senior Member
      This user has no status.

Feeling:
      ----

If your not using CCA lumber the problems from leaching are near zero. Almost all leaching occurs from surface or near surface residue and early on. After the initial period very little occurs. Hose off your wood in the driveway and let air dry before using and you'll remove most. After air dry some seal before construction and apply another quick coat after. Others just seal after finished.

Plus the impact of newer preservatives are very little compared to treated lumbers of past

Your from CA with strict wood regulations and it won't be a problem but rotting out prematurely in a wet environment will be.
      Last edited by batman; 10-07-2020 at 08:19 AM.
      The real Batman wears polyester! Don't be fooled by the plastic imposter.

3791eddie is offline Junior Member
      This user has no status.

Feeling:
      ----

Quote Originally Posted by batman View Post
      If your not using CCA lumber the problems from leaching are near zero. Almost all leaching occurs from surface or near surface residue and early on. After the initial period very little occurs. Hose off your wood in the driveway and let air dry before using and you'll remove most. After air dry some seal before construction and apply another quick coat after. Others just seal after finished.

Plus the impact of newer preservatives are very little compared to treated lumbers of past

Your from CA with strict wood regulations and it won't be a problem but rotting out prematurely in a wet environment will be.
      Thank you. It is the newer treated wood. What sealer would be safe? The bog is already constructed. I have to seal it as is. I just dont have the liner on it yet.

• Remove Ads
        Advertising from Google
        Promoting Koi and Pond
        keeping since 2007