• Sneaky
  • Tired

Thread: fatal mistake?

TaishoSanshoku is offline Member
      This user has no status.

Feeling:
      ----

fatal mistake?

I appeal to your experience, I have submerged a pump from a pond contaminated with ich, white spot, (before knowing it logically), to another healthy one, just rinsing it a little with running water routinely, the contagion occurred 100% safely?
      in how many days could the symptoms begin being in spring?
      thank you very much.

RichToyBox is offline Administrator ~
      Koi Health Care Committee Member
      This user has no status.

Feeling:
      Awesome

You may or may not have created a problem. Ich has three stages of development. The one that we see is an encysted form where it grows and develops into an egg of sorts that comes out of the fish and drops to the bottom of the pond. In the encysted form it is not able to go anywhere, staying deep in the skin of the fish. The egg form should be readily washed off of any equipment, if it was given any hosing, and I would expect very small numbers if it were not hosed. The egg then hatches into a swimming form that swarms up trying to find a host to encyst in. I would not expect the swimming form to be able to withstand the hosing of the pump or even the draining of the pump in the process of moving it.

If any were to move the normal life cycle is from 2-5 days in warm waters and up to 5+ weeks in cold waters. As you are just coming into spring, I would expect it will take several weeks before you will see any cysts on any of your fish.

"Our goal is to assist with emergency and Koi health issues, as well as educate on best practices. Please help us gain a clear picture by giving the original poster time to answer our questions before offering opinions and suggested treatments."

Zone 7 A/B
      Keep your words sweet. You never know when you may have to eat them.
      Richard

TaishoSanshoku is offline Member
      This user has no status.

Feeling:
      ----

Thank you, do you recommend preventive treatment or do you recommend waiting to confirm symptoms?
      Can ich survive out of water?

RichToyBox is offline Administrator ~
      Koi Health Care Committee Member
      This user has no status.

Feeling:
      Awesome

I believe the egg form can survive out of the water, but not sure. I would just wait and see. Instead of any of the marketed treatments, if it is ich, I would salt the pond to 0.3% and keep it that way for a couple of weeks, but only after assuring that it is ich. Some of the other treatments for some of the other parasites recommend not using with salt.

"Our goal is to assist with emergency and Koi health issues, as well as educate on best practices. Please help us gain a clear picture by giving the original poster time to answer our questions before offering opinions and suggested treatments."

Zone 7 A/B
      Keep your words sweet. You never know when you may have to eat them.
      Richard