• Sneaky
  • Tired

Thread: Professional Help Needed!

emaqua is offline Junior Member
      This user has no status.

Feeling:
      ----

Professional Help Needed!

I have a young fish with a very severe flesh wound, and also some on tail fin. Started 2 months ago, has gone through periods of starting to heal then getting much worse. I did have a spell of poor water quality in the summer which may have kicked it off (I lost one poor we chap then with dropsy symptoms). I have applied NT Labs ulcer swab and wound seal 4 times and treated the water with Blagdon ulcer medication. I have also been dosing the pond with Mediclay at the higher dose. Was feeding medikoi health and growth through the summer and now on sinking wheatgerm. He is still eating and acting normal. Water quality is spot on now and all the other koi are doing great. Our pond temps have dropped to 11 degrees centigrade and I am really worried about him going into winter with that sore. Is there anything anyone can suggest to try?!

Wilson -

Name:  IMG_4593.jpg
Views: 202
Size:  68.6 KB

• Remove Ads
        Advertising from Google
        Promoting Koi and Pond
        keeping since 2007

Fishmover is offline Supporting Member
      This user has no status.

Feeling:
      ----

I will defer to others here, but that injury looks very severe. I am not sure how much can be done to repair.

Been ponding for a while, with lots of successes, and lots of failures.

This user has no status.

Feeling:
      ----

Quote Originally Posted by Fishmover View Post
      I will defer to others here, but that injury looks very severe. I am not sure how much can be done to repair.
      Thanks for taking the time to reply. It just keeps getting deeper despite my efforts!:

richtoybox is offline Administrator
      This user has no status.

Feeling:
      Awesome

As I start with all threads, we like to start with water quality numbers for ammonia, nitrite, pH morning and evening, and KH as the fishes environment is primarily responsible for the fishes health. Spot on doesn't really tell us much.

With your temperature, approximately 52F, you are borderline on being able to heal the fish in the pond. I would recommend a QT tank of appropriate size for wintering over, with sufficient filtration to keep pristine water. The QT tank needs to be maintained at a minimum of 20C with 25C being better.

The fish needs antibiotics, and I don't know the availability of injectible antibiotics like Batril or Amikacin, and our favorite in the US isa powder Tricide Neo, which is also marketed as Neocide 3 but being a US product, not sure of availability in Scotland. Barring any of those being available, the use of a Triple Antibiotic Ointment would be of some help.
      Zone 7 A/B
      Keep your words sweet. You never know when you may have to eat them.
      Richard

coolwon is offline Senior Member
      is Garfield is my name DIY is my
      game

Feeling:
      Cool

A flesh eating bacteria.

Tricide- Neo.

Garfield
      Find more about Weather in Durban, ZA

KOIAnon is offline Member
      This user has no status.

Feeling:
      ----

See a vet and get an injectable antibiotic.

This user has no status.

Feeling:
      ----

Quote Originally Posted by RichToyBox View Post
      As I start with all threads, we like to start with water quality numbers for ammonia, nitrite, pH morning and evening, and KH as the fishes environment is primarily responsible for the fishes health. Spot on doesn't really tell us much.
      Thanks for your response.

I suppose spot on varies. I have super soft water out the tap so this is spot on for me! The rest of the fish are doing well.

Ammonia 0
      Nitrite 0
      Nitrate 10/25
      GH 4
      KH 3
      PH 6

Im looking at setting up QT tank indoors for winter. Prescription fish meds are difficult to get here. Is there anything I could purchase online without a prescription?

coolwon is offline Senior Member
      is Garfield is my name DIY is my
      game

Feeling:
      Cool

Google flesh eating bacteria.

Go to images.

Garfield
      Find more about Weather in Durban, ZA

icu2 is offline Administrator ~ WWKC President
      ~ WWKC Treasurer
      is sorry otters exist

Feeling:
      Annoyed

Quote Originally Posted by emaqua View Post

I suppose spot on varies. I have super soft water out the tap so this is spot on for me! The rest of the fish are doing well.

Ammonia 0
      Nitrite 0
      Nitrate 10/25
      GH 4
      KH 3
      PH 6

Im looking at setting up QT tank indoors for winter. Prescription fish meds are difficult to get here. Is there anything I could purchase online without a prescription?
      Your pH and KH are very low. The low KH makes it possible for the pH to fall even lower, sometimes very quickly.
      Plain baking soda (sodium bicarbonate) will raise the KH, and since it's pH is normally 8.3, it will drive your pH
      higher as well. Your bio filter needs KH to work properly so bringing it up slowly to about 7-9 drops (120-160ppm)
      will help stabilize your pH and let your bio filters work better.

I doubt this will have an effect on the fish with the ulcer but just wanted to bring it up.
      Not sure the volume of your pond but there's a calculator to help guide how much baking soda
      to add to effect a change in the KH. I'd bring it up 1-2 drops every day or 2 until you reach
      your goal. It's located on the dark blue navigation bar at the top of the forum under "Koi Calculators":

https://www.koiphen.com/forums/koicalcs.php?do=calckh
      --Steve

Koiphen 2021 Koi Person of the Year!

richtoybox is offline Administrator
      This user has no status.

Feeling:
      Awesome

Quote Originally Posted by emaqua View Post

Ammonia 0
      Nitrite 0
      Nitrate 10/25
      GH 4
      KH 3
      PH 6

I don't know if the Tricide Neo or Neocide 3 is available there or if any sites can or will ship to Scotland, but it is a very good med for this type of infection that was developed at the University of Georgia Vet School. "It" meaning 2 names one product. Short of that the common triple antibiotic ointment that is used to treat scrapes and cuts is available at all of our pharmacy counters as a first aid product. The only other treatment would be to get a vet involved, which may be more costly than the value of the fish.

As icu2 stated, the KH value that you have is by our standards very low and would lead to large pH swings which are very stressful to the fish causing reduced immunities. Check your pH in the morning early and again late in the evening. Due primarily to photosynthesis of the algae during the daylight hours consuming carbon dioxide (carbonic acid when in water) raising the pH and the reverse of the photosynthesis overnight consumes oxygen and expels carbon dioxide overnight, dropping the pH very low. Having a KH in the 6+ and I like 10+ range will stabilize the pH. Due to most waters having calcium carbonate, calcium bicarbonate, type system from carbonate rock formations, the steady state pH will be about 8.3. The bicarbonate will neutralize the carbonic acid raising the pH and will also neutralize the hydroxyl ions lowering the pH.

As I referenced above, our preferred KH is much higher, but I know that some of the British Koi Keepers like a very low TDS, thus a low KH. I cannot understand the reasoning for that, particularly for people that are not in the highest of koi quality trying to imitate the Japanese ponds to ???? improve ???? the quality of the fishes skin. Those people should be very strong on their ability to manhandle water parameters, not just hobbyist.
      Zone 7 A/B
      Keep your words sweet. You never know when you may have to eat them.
      Richard

• Remove Ads
        Advertising from Google
        Promoting Koi and Pond
        keeping since 2007