• Tired

Thread: 2 Koi with several problems 1. White?, missing scale? black mark,

cvshades is offline Junior Member
      This user has no status.

Feeling:
      ----

2 Koi with several problems 1. White?, missing scale? black mark,

Hello,

I turned off my oxygen to show my Kio to friend and noticed problems with 3 Koi. My pond hasn't had a new Koi in 4 years. My koi shown below Platinum, and 1 Kohaku has a black? injury or disease. Ive never removed Kou from my pond now 7 yrs old. My Orange koi has multiple issues possibly bacterial per vet guessing by photo but too expansive for him to come and scrape ($600minimum), missing scales, red spots, white? I turned off my oxygen to show my Kio to friend and noticed 3 with
      Attached Images Attached Images      

RichToyBox is offline Administrator ~
      Koi Health Care Committee Member
      This user has no status.

Feeling:
      Awesome

I don't see any pictures of a kohaku, so can't guess. On the Platinum, what I see looks more like color coming up of a brown/gold/yellow variety, could be less than great breeding, reverting to more common brown fish. The orange fish does show some signs of reddened scratches which would indicate potential bacterial infection and it is missing at least one scale, leaving the white area from under the scale. The loss of a scale on the doitsu varieties is fairly common, but I have to ask if you have noticed any strange swimming like flashing, breaching, etc, and is there any rock or other hard surfaces in the pond.

We always like to start with the water quality, as the fish is exposed constantly to the water and healing requires the best of conditions, so could you provide us with numbers (preferably drop type test kits) of ammonia, nitrite, nitrate, pH morning and evening, KH, and temperature. Until I know more I cannot recommend a treatment for the infection as it very well could be best to do nothing but watch and see if the numbers are great.

"Our goal is to assist with emergency and Koi health issues, as well as educate on best practices. Please help us gain a clear picture by giving the original poster time to answer our questions before offering opinions and suggested treatments."

Zone 7 A/B
      Keep your words sweet. You never know when you may have to eat them.
      Richard