• Sneaky
  • Tired

Thread: Ick help!!!

TaishoSanshoku is offline Member
      This user has no status.

Feeling:
      ----

Ick help!!!

Hello, I have white spot in my brood pond, just 6 koi less than 25 cm, ick white spot confirmed, I medicated three days ago with formaldehyde and quinine hydrochlorid, the strange thing is that the koi are better, now they swim more, they are more active, they stay suspended in the water for less time, an improvement is clearly seem but I keep seeing the white spots exactly the same, even more, how can this be?

RichToyBox is offline Administrator ~
      Koi Health Care Committee Member
      This user has no status.

Feeling:
      Awesome

I moved this thread to the emergency/health forum. Have you done a scrape and scope of the fish to microscopically identify ich?

Ich has three stages, one encysted in the skin of the koi which matures and falls off to fall to the bottom of the pond where like an egg it hatches into many swimmers which then attack and encyst. It is only during the swimming stage that the ich is susceptible to treatment. The life cycle is typically 2 to 5 days encysted through to encysted, with longer times up to several week sin very cold water. One of the best treatments for ich is salt. Treatment at 0.3% salt (about 2.5 pounds per hundred gallons) which is easily maintained during the 1 week at normal pond temperatures, unlike the formaldehyde..... which has to be used daily for at least a week and may or may not take complete care of the swarmers.

A salinity meter or TDS meter will help you to know that you have the 0.3% salinity.

"Our goal is to assist with emergency and Koi health issues, as well as educate on best practices. Please help us gain a clear picture by giving the original poster time to answer our questions before offering opinions and suggested treatments."

Zone 7 A/B
      Keep your words sweet. You never know when you may have to eat them.
      Richard

This user has no status.

Feeling:
      ----

Thank you very much Richard, yes, the ich was microscopically identified by a veterinarian friend of mine and the cysts are very clearly visible all over the body and fins. The product that I used is placed only once and the dose is repeated after 7 days, not every day, I will try the salt, thank you very much, the formaldehyde that I used then is useless? Is the improvement of the majority accidental? The visible white cysts spots still there means that the formaline was useless or is normal see cysts after three days of treatment?

Someone told me that the only substance that also eliminates the encyst ich and not only the one that is swimming is the victoria green, is it true?
      Last edited by TaishoSanshoku; 3 Weeks Ago at 08:29 PM.

This user has no status.

Feeling:
      Awesome

Because of the cycle of life of the ich, unless the treatments are almost continuous, then they are not effective. That is why I like salt, as it is able to be maintained at a viable dose without constant additions and after about a week, the salt can be diluted back out with no damage to fish, but if it has a down side, it is that plants do not like that high a salt content.

"Our goal is to assist with emergency and Koi health issues, as well as educate on best practices. Please help us gain a clear picture by giving the original poster time to answer our questions before offering opinions and suggested treatments."

Zone 7 A/B
      Richard

This user has no status.

Feeling:
      ----

Thank you very very much Richard, the last query, I have read that the formalin once dosed in the pond first time, lasts active for about four or five days, not making it necessary to renew the dose day after day, is that true?

This user has no status.

Feeling:
      Awesome

It is my understanding that its strength diminishes due to dissolved organics, debris, and destruction of bacteria, including bio bacteria, so not likely to last. The preferred treatment here is a product called Proform C which is formalin with malachite green and it calls for doing a 25% water change before each of 3 daily doses. This, one reduces the amount of dissolved organics, floating organics, and free swimming parasites, and renews the dose to a better performing level, so I would say not likely to last in a therapeutic dose for much more than a day.

Zone 7 A/B
      Richard