• Tired
  • Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Indoor overwintering questions - 425 gallon vinyl show tank

icu2 is offline Administrator ~ WWKC Treasurer
      is playing on Koiphen

Feeling:
      Friendly

Quote Originally Posted by MarkL View Post
      Now I know why they call you "Fishmover" LOL!

Seriously though, I could cut the flow to more like 1K so I'd get ~2.5 turnovers per hour. I bet that'd be fine as long as that amount of flow through the S&G and more importantly through the shower would provide enough bio filtration for a potential slightly heavy load. If it's true that ideally you'd have 2k of flow for every square foot of shower surface area, then I'd only have 1/2 a square foot with 1k gallons going through it! Maybe it's ok to have a miniature shower for a miniature pond LOL? Maybe it's ok to spread out that shower over the media and not flood it as aggressively?

Thanks for helping with my newb questions. I struggled last winter with sick fish in elevated ammonia and I want to get it right for them this time.
      Absolutely. Smaller designs popped up first and people referred to them as "trickle towers"...

https://www.koiphen.com/forums/showt...limited-budget

https://www.koiphen.com/forums/showt...a-Bakki-Shower
      --Steve

Control your own destiny or someone else will.

---Jack Welch

MarkL is offline Junior Member
      This user has no status.

Feeling:
      ----

I read the "Pond Plumbing Primer Version 2" article in the stickies. What a great resource! It inspired me to sketch out my layout in a spreadsheet. Without considering elbows and head yet, here it is. It may be over the top filtration for a 425 gallon tank but I expect to eventually convert to a stick-built permanent one some day.

Just outside the windows is access to my septic tank for easy draining of filters. I'd like to collect the richest of wastewater for our indoor plants, hence the collection barrel under the raised sand & gravel filter for the occasional bottom draining (not the main aerated flushing which may be rich but too much water).

The shower is placed over the pond as a safeguard against splashing and overflow and also to save space. I'm unsure how many TPR's so I assume three.

Please give any suggestions!

Name:  Layout V1.jpg
Views: 100
Size:  69.7 KB

Name:  Sunroom.jpg
Views: 94
Size:  281.7 KB
      Attached Images Attached Images  
      Last edited by MarkL; 10-03-2020 at 12:55 PM. Reason: Sorry about the duplicate pictures. Thought I deleted the bottom 1st draft.

*Ci* is offline Senior Member
      is in pond building mode!

Feeling:
      Friendly

I wouldnít put a nutrient collection container under the S&G, that just looks very unstable. When you flush the filter is when you will get an abundance of waste filled water, which you could collect with a bucket.
      Last edited by *Ci*; 10-04-2020 at 10:51 AM.

This user has no status.

Feeling:
      ----

My build is in the final stages and I have a couple questions.

First, I can have a very compact system in my particular space if I eliminate the zakki sieve which is on backorder. Will I be ok with just the S&G filter? I want to keep my shower extra clean and hate the idea of chopping up fish poop in a pump! I bet Iíll be fine without the luxury of a sieve?

Second, I was torn between an Evolution ES-2500 and ES-3500 pump. The S&G is elevated so itís outlet is about 5í above the pump outlet, and I want to first divert some flow to a single TPR. I probably should have ordered the 2500 but the 3500 was only $10 more so I ordered that. Well turns out the 3500 was out of stock with no resupply date so they offered a 3,000 but sent a 4,000! The tank is only 425 gallons and I hoped for 2,000 GPH out of the S&G and over the shower. So my question is whether there are any issues with using a ball valve to really restrict the pump? I suppose electric cost is the main issue. Seems crazy to have such a pump for a little show tank!

Fishmover is offline Supporting Member
      This user has no status.

Feeling:
      ----

My build is in the final stages and I have a couple questions.

First, I can have a very compact system in my particular space if I eliminate the zakki sieve which is on backorder. Will I be ok with just the S&G filter? I want to keep my shower extra clean and hate the idea of chopping up fish poop in a pump! I bet I’ll be fine without the luxury of a sieve?

Second, I was torn between an Evolution ES-2500 and ES-3500 pump. The S&G is elevated so it’s outlet is about 5’ above the pump outlet, and I want to first divert some flow to a single TPR. I probably should have ordered the 2500 but the 3500 was only $10 more so I ordered that. Well turns out the 3500 was out of stock with no resupply date so they offered a 3,000 but sent a 4,000! The tank is only 425 gallons and I hoped for 2,000 GPH out of the S&G and over the shower. So my question is whether there are any issues with using a ball valve to really restrict the pump? I suppose electric cost is the main issue. Seems crazy to have such a pump for a little show tank!
      You will be perfectly fine with the S&G filter, and will be glad you saved a few bucks by not having the sieve. It really would be overkill with the sieve.
      As for the pump, throttling it back will be fine. I personally run a Periha pump on my indoor tank and love the energy efficiency there.

Been ponding for a while, with lots of successes, and lots of failures.

is playing on Koiphen

Feeling:
      Friendly

Imo I think it should work fine without the sieve. I would be sure that a priming pot and basket be used before
      the pump with nothing between the pump and the BD. I had one set up in my garage for about 8 years with just
      a s/g filter and it worked great. Mine needed a bit more bio than the s/g filter could do, but you've got that covered
      with the shower. If you can, you might put a drain on the bottom of the s/g filter so that way if it did collect some
      larger debris that got trapped under the rock and grate, you could flush it from the bottom of the s/g filter.

Put the ball valve after the pump to restrict the flow and it should be fine. Your electrical costs will be more
      than if you had the perfect pump for the amount of head/flow you want... but as you restrict the flow of the pump,
      you'll reduce the electricity used, so that might make you feel a little better.

Edit: sorry, x-posted.
      --Steve

---Jack Welch

This user has no status.

Feeling:
      ----

Thanks much Fishmover and icu2.

Yes icu2 I have a drain in the S&G and can't wait to discover any goodies that collect in the bottom. Being indoors it'll probably mostly be uneaten food from my overly generous wife!

I'll post a picture of the setup when it's done and running.

This user has no status.

Feeling:
      ----

Looking for any comments on my dry-fitted plumbing.

I finally received my parts and have set the possible check valve and pump locations. Here you see the pump tentatively placed about mid water level (Iíll build a stand to support it). The S&G filter and aeration pump are elevated in the back. Should the water pump be raised or lowered at all?

Also, unsure of the necessity of the 3-way valve. Itís there for flushing the BD pipe out the window to the septic tank and for springtime partial draining of the tank, although draining could also be done via the S&G filter drain. Iíll have to remove and rotate the valve innards so I can choose between the pump and waste ports. Just unsure whether an indoor pond with good flow will need to have it's BD flushed. Wouldn't hurt any I guess!

Thanks!

Name:  pump pre layout.jpg
Views: 70
Size:  76.6 KB
      Last edited by MarkL; 10-26-2020 at 02:05 PM.

SimonW is online now Senior Member
      This user has no status.

Feeling:
      ----

I wonder if you are doing a permanent arrangement. Otherwise it would be a great over-kill: A simple pressure filter would have done the job!

This user has no status.

Feeling:
      ----

Too late now! It's been a good covid project I guess. Sliding that S&G down on boards come spring will be when I will have my regrets!

is playing on Koiphen

Feeling:
      Friendly

Looking for any comments on my dry-fitted plumbing.

I finally received my parts and have set the possible check valve and pump locations. Here you see the pump tentatively placed about mid water level (Iíll build a stand to support it). The S&G filter and aeration pump are elevated in the back. Should the water pump be raised or lowered at all?

Also, unsure of the necessity of the 3-way valve. Itís there for flushing the BD pipe out the window to the septic tank and for springtime partial draining of the tank, although draining could also be done via the S&G filter drain. Iíll have to remove and rotate the valve innards so I can choose between the pump and waste ports. Just unsure whether an indoor pond with good flow will need to have it's BD flushed. Wouldn't hurt any I guess!

Thanks!
      I think the pump is fine as long as it's below pool level (flooded suction) it should be simple to prime.
      The 3 way is an option although in the 8 years I had mine in the garage arranged like this, I never needed
      to flush it. When I tore it down it didn't have any of the build up of brown larvae things I get in the outdoor
      ponds. You probably have it in the plans but I'd put a ball valve on the output of the pump too for flow control
      and in case you need to remove the pump quickly.
      What's the air pump for?

And imho a s/g filter and shower/trickle tower will outperform a pressure filter every time.
      --Steve

---Jack Welch

This user has no status.

Feeling:
      ----

Yes icu2, I do have a ball valve to put in immediately after the pump!

The air pump is for the aerated bottom drain.

I have another 3-way I can use after the pump for diverting some flow to a single TPR I may install. I think even one TPR would be helpful.

This user has no status.

Feeling:
      ----

Pump configuration looks good. Can you get this setup already so we can see some picks of it running

This user has no status.

Feeling:
      ----

LOL Fishmover, I know! I have a mental block against cutting out for the bottom drain so I keep putzing around to avoid it. However, today is the day, and speaking of taking knife to vinyl, I have a final minor question. For the single TPR I have, how far off the bottom should it be? I've heard one foot but the depth of the tank is only about 30 inches. The tank is about 6 feet in diameter.

Thanks...and pics coming soon (unless it leaks all over my house).

This user has no status.

Feeling:
      ----

LOL Fishmover, I know! I have a mental block against cutting out for the bottom drain so I keep putzing around to avoid it. However, today is the day, and speaking of taking knife to vinyl, I have a final minor question. For the single TPR I have, how far off the bottom should it be? I've heard one foot but the depth of the tank is only about 30 inches. The tank is about 6 feet in diameter.

Thanks...and pics coming soon (unless it leaks all over my house).
      Given the depth, I would just place it in the middle between the high point and the low point.

batman is offline Senior Member
      This user has no status.

Feeling:
      ----

By the way, Iíve read warnings here about too much humidity with indoor ponds but for us it provided much needed humidity for our indoor plants in a large open room. There was nowhere near enough moisture to cause mold issues.

Thanks!
      Mark
      FYI - mold issues are typically behind walls where you can't see them. Best to do things that keep the humidity in acceptable range.
      The real Batman wears polyester! Don't be fooled by the plastic imposter.

This user has no status.

Feeling:
      ----

I had a couple setbacks but transferred four koi in yesterday. Here are some pics. The system is built in sections so that it's removeable. The only hard part about that will be sliding the S&G filter down using a ramp. I'll be happy to provide details of any part of the setup if requested by anyone crazy enough to attempt something like this!
      Attached Images Attached Images             

This user has no status.

Feeling:
      ----

That came out really good, Well organized.
      Should be a nice home for the fish this winter.

is playing on Koiphen

Feeling:
      Friendly

Well done!
      --Steve

---Jack Welch

SimonW is online now Senior Member
      This user has no status.

Feeling:
      ----

Excellent work! I admire your great will och energy.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast