• Meh
  • Piratey
  • Poorly
  • Sad
  • Secret
  • Shy
  • Sneaky
  • Tired

Thread: Note to self, Clean Zakki sieve EVERY day!

Mild Bill is offline Supporting Member
      This user has no status.

Feeling:
      Crazy

Note to self, Clean Zakki sieve EVERY day!

I did my daily filter cleaning like normal on Saturday but thought maybe I'll skip the sieve and do it on Sunday. I guess my schedule was so tight I couldn't spare the 60 seconds it takes to clean it. Well, when I did my rounds today I found the sieve screen on the Zakki sieve had been push down. Everything was going right to the priming pot on the pump. I think if I waited until evening it probably would have been completely full of gunk.
      Attached Images Attached Images  

LobsterOfJustice is offline Senior Member
      This user has no status.

Feeling:
      ----

Mine used to be able to go several days, but got to the point that it needed cleaning every day. I took the sieve screen out and scrubbed it with a stiff bristle brush and it can now go several days between cleanings again. So, something to consider.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

jimfish98 is offline Supporting Member
      is not losing sleep over the
      opinion of sheep

Feeling:
      ----

I don't know how you do it. I haven't cleaned my screen in like three weeks. That would drive me nuts.

Diamond Lifetime Member #95!
      Just because its not a Great Koi doesn't mean its not a Great Koi...Me circa 2013

Nguyen365 is offline Senior Member
      This user has no status.

Feeling:
      ----

You must have a really big pond to collect so much waste in 1 day
      I clean my diy sieve maybe once every 2-3 days
      -Tony
      KoiTime USA Vlog
      https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCJY...lOsl9hsezbmzSQ
      1st house paid off at age 36 bought 3/2016 4 years and 3 months

This user has no status.

Feeling:
      Crazy

Nope, 4000 gallons so I guess that pretty much an average size. That’s actually only about half the stuff it catches. That photo is from the bottom drain line that goes to the Nexus. This is 24 hours of stuff getting caught in the skimmer box. Along with the bottle brushes there’s a medium Matala mat. That line goes to 3 S&G filters. Surprisingly enough the water is not green.

MikeM is offline Super Member
      This user has no status.

Feeling:
      ----

I'd find that wholly unacceptable. If my pond could not go a full week with no human intervention, I would be seriously considering what was the cheapest way to fill it in. Of course, what I'd actually do is change the filtration, etc. so it was no longer necessary. I dump settlement daily, but would never be willing to deal with a situation where I had to do it more than weekly.

danbo is offline Senior Member
      This user has no status.

Feeling:
      ----

I have a fairly large three bay 'conventional in ground filter'. Three main bays (concrete) total volume about 12m3 for the filter. Pond is about 25m3. I used to clean the 'conventional filter' every six months or so. May 26 2017 I installed a Draco RDF upstream of the filter. Complete clean of the filter on 25/26th May 2017 at the time of installation of the Draco. Next clean of the filter 21 Aug 2018 (452 days since RDF installed). Only cleaned 'bay 1' of the 3 bays. Next clean of the filter 22nd July 2020 (701 days since previous clean and 1153 days since Draco installed). Again only the 1st bay cleaned. There you go....now running at nearly 2 years between cleans. Water is perfect. Cleaning daily would drive me nuts.... I judge when to clean by the pressure drop between the first bay inlet and the third bay outlet. Bays 2 and 3 have Jap Matting in different configurations. I'm guessing pretty mature by now...

Dan

audioenvy is offline Supporting Member
      This user has no status.

Feeling:
      ----

When you guys say "clean the sieve" do you mean flush the unit (a 20 second procedure that allows the pump to stay on the entire time if you have the plumbing setup correctly) or do you mean having to remove and clean the sieve screen itself?

Regardless, if you're getting that much algae every day there's something "off" with the pond chemistry. I would predict not enough biofiltration.

This user has no status.

Feeling:
      Crazy

Im saying flushing the sieve. I’ll take the screen out if there becomes a build up of algae on it.

This user has no status.

Feeling:
      Crazy

So if our Nexus 310 is not producing enough bio filtration how much more do I need and what do I need. We have 4000 gallons and 16 koi ranging from 16”- 24”. The Nexus comes with 100L of K1 I have added another 100L a couple years ago. Looking at the color of the K1 it looks to be in the suggested color range of light brown or tan.

KoiRun is offline Senior Member
      This user has no status.

Feeling:
      Happy

I think its really different in colder zones for what is the ideal filtration. Fluctuations in temperatures, light intensity, wind can trigger stringy algae blooms. Biological filters can’t adapt quickly enough with these swings. Worst when the bio needs to be flushed out. I slowly cover and uncover my pond in the spring and autumn. No string algae/no green water/ no need for UV. Last time I cleaned my bio was more than 3 years ago!
      Time you enjoy wasting is not wasted time. ---- Marthe Troly-Curtin

KoiRun on YouTube, latest video:
      https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PmiHmpbWEOY&t=170s

spkennyva is offline Member
      This user has no status.

Feeling:
      ----

Can you post a picture of the entire pond? Seems like there's an abundance of plant material in the priming pot. Is this a heavily planted pond?

This user has no status.

Feeling:
      Crazy

We have 4 containers of lilies. I know the Koi route in them especially when they’re spawning but other than that they really don’t make a lot of dirt.

opinion of sheep

Feeling:
      ----

Quote Originally Posted by Mild Bill View Post
      So if our Nexus 310 is not producing enough bio filtration how much more do I need and what do I need. We have 4000 gallons and 16 koi ranging from 16”- 24”. The Nexus comes with 100L of K1 I have added another 100L a couple years ago. Looking at the color of the K1 it looks to be in the suggested color range of light brown or tan.
      I wonder how your pond would do with an RDF. I know the there is a conversion kit for Nexus to put one in. Reduce the fine particulates enough, it might strip nutrients from the water and cut back on the algae issues by starving them.

Just because its not a Great Koi doesn't mean its not a Great Koi...Me circa 2013

This user has no status.

Feeling:
      Crazy

Ammonia is zero
      Nitrites are zero
      Nitrates between zero and five

Filtration upgrades are always on my list but my wife keeps “misplacing” my list!!! If I could get my water somewhat cleaner I would love to try a shower. I would like to try a standalone RDF but not sure I can incorporate one without running city water to my filtration area. That is if you need city water hooked up to the RDF.
      Last edited by Mild Bill; 1 Week Ago at 03:39 PM.

opinion of sheep

Feeling:
      ----

Ammonia is zero
      Nitrates are zero

Filtration upgrades are always on my list but my wife keeps “misplacing” my list!!! If I could get my water somewhat cleaner I would love to try a shower. I would like to try a standalone RDF but not sure I can incorporate one without running city water to my filtration area. That is if you need city water hooked up to the RDF.
      The Draco retrofits into the Nexus with a kit, I am not sure if it can run water from the clean side to clean the screen though in that set up. In Zac's builds with it where he combos it with a shower, it will use the cleaned water to clean it. Using clean pond water will mean more topping off of the pond to account for the water used in the cleaning. The dirtier the pond, the more it runs and the more water you lose. If you go his route, get UV installed in it as it helps prevent screen build up.

KoiRun is offline Senior Member
      This user has no status.

Feeling:
      Happy

Ammonia is zero
      Nitrates are zero

All parameters are zero because algae is out-competing your bio. You know algae is a form for biological filtration but it is not the kind bio-filtration you want. You want bacterial bio-filtration. The amount of bacteria on the surface film of your K1 is minuscule compared to the amount of algae you have in your pond. Some people will disagree, but I think Japanese matts, sponges etc., as a media for bio , will provide a better niche for bacteria than a moving bed of K1. I certainly think you need more bio more than you need mechanical filtration. Algae is making a mess out of your filters and causing you to do a lot more work.
      Time you enjoy wasting is not wasted time. ---- Marthe Troly-Curtin

KoiRun on YouTube, latest video:
      https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PmiHmpbWEOY&t=170s

This user has no status.

Feeling:
      Crazy

That’s what I’m leaning towards more bio but what? I have limited space right now because finding someone to add on to a shed is not easy. Looking at maybe a shower if the S&G filters can provide clean enough water.

icu2 is offline Administrator ~ WWKC Treasurer
      is is old and cranky

Feeling:
      Friendly

A shower after a s/g filter(s) I think would be terrific.
      --Steve

Control your own destiny or someone else will.

---Jack Welch

david pinder is offline Senior Member
      This user has no status.

Feeling:
      ----

Have 2 zakki sieves, in the summer its an every day event to clean. In the winter I get by with every other day. Every 2 weeks I take the screens out and spray them
      with a bleach water combo and then hose them down good. That seems to make them a lot more efficient.