• Sneaky
  • Tired
  • Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: One of my koi just died, need some advice for the rest of my pond

KoiRun is offline Senior Member
      This user has no status.

Feeling:
      Happy

Deanzel I’d be interested in any other test results ordered by the vet such as a CBC or blood cultures? Or is the vet just testing for khv?
      Time you enjoy wasting is not wasted time. ---- Marthe Troly-Curtin

KoiRun on YouTube, latest video:
      https://youtu.be/72iiuRXY2Wk

• Remove Ads
        Advertising from Google
        Promoting Koi and Pond
        keeping since 2007

deanzel is offline Member
      This user has no status.

Feeling:
      ----

He's only testing for KHV I believe since it's such a specific test. The other things should be treatable with the treatments that I have and am receiving (I think). He's also going to send me a Baytril script if I need it.

It would be nice to find out exactly what bacteria or virus is wreaking havoc on my pond, but honestly ruling out (or confirming) KHV is definitely the biggest priority.

Sent from my SM-N975U using Tapatalk

This user has no status.

Feeling:
      ----

Just received my packages of Chloramine T from the UK. I haven't had any more fish die on me since my last Chagoi that was in really bad shape when examined by my vet. Not sure if the Proform-C "solved" whatever was going on, so I'm going to apply the Chloramine T tomorrow. It has two different dosage levels: one for pathogenic bacterial levels and the other for parasite levels. Bacterial dosage is 5g per 1000 gallons while the Parasite dosage is 15g per 1000 gallons. Should I just go with the parasite dosage?

Name:  2020-10-01 22.19.45.jpg
Views: 124
Size:  261.3 KB

icu2 is offline Administrator ~ WWKC President
      ~ WWKC Treasurer
      is sorry otters exist

Feeling:
      Annoyed

Have you checked the gills on any other fish? If so, are any others damaged?

I'd be hesitant to just add it if you're not treating for something specifically. If using in the pond and filtration and not as
      a dip, iirc it really knocks back your bio filtration if there's no way to bypass it.
      I'd check the gills on some other fish before using the Chloramine T... and be sure to check the pH and KH.

Do you have a link where you found the Chloramine T?

Do you know when the KHV tests come back?
      --Steve

Koiphen 2021 Koi Person of the Year!

This user has no status.

Feeling:
      ----

Quote Originally Posted by icu2 View Post
      Have you checked the gills on any other fish? If so, are any others damaged?

I'd be hesitant to just add it if you're not treating for something specifically. If using in the pond and filtration and not as
      a dip, iirc it really knocks back your bio filtration if there's no way to bypass it.
      I'd check the gills on some other fish before using the Chloramine T... and be sure to check the pH and KH.

Do you have a link where you found the Chloramine T?

Do you know when the KHV tests come back?
      https://www.ebay.com/itm/KUSURI-CHLO...kAAOSwbF1aByGz

This is the link for the Chloramine T. I didn't really check the gills of the other fish (they're hard to catch and I still have a bunch) but the Chagoi that died 3 days ago had pretty bad gill necrosis. It wasn't to the same level as my Kohaku, but there were white splotches on the gills. This was after the conclusion of the Proform-C treatment, which is why I kind of want to still apply the Chloramine T.

I do know the biological filter will take a hit, but I did just buy a bunch of those Keeton Industries Nitrifying bacteria packs. Shouldn't those be able to jump start my bio filter back again after the treatments?

~ WWKC Treasurer
      is sorry otters exist

Feeling:
      Annoyed

Thanks for the link!

I'm not sure how well the Keeton bacteria packs will help as I've never used them... but if you're
      aware of that and you think there's a good chance of BGD effecting the other fish, I'd say go for it.
      I'm not sure for the dosage... I've only used the bottled BGDT and it's at 30 grams/1000 gallons.
      --Steve

This user has no status.

Feeling:
      ----

Heck, I paid like $400+ with overnight shipping for the Keeton bacteria packs. Might as well use them. :P

I went ahead and applied the first dose according to the package's directions for the parasitic level at 15g per 1000 gallons. It says to repeat the dose up to over 4 days, 24 hours apart. Should I go with the full 4 day treatment then? Or is it a little excessive?

Also, any need for water changes? I didn't see anything in the instructions about them.
      Last edited by deanzel; 10-02-2020 at 03:48 PM.

~ WWKC Treasurer
      is sorry otters exist

Feeling:
      Annoyed

Quote Originally Posted by deanzel View Post
      Heck, I paid like $400+ with overnight shipping for the Keeton bacteria packs. Might as well use them. :P

I went ahead and applied the first dose according to the package's directions for the parasitic level at 15g per 1000 gallons. It says to repeat the dose up to over 4 days, 24 hours apart. Should I go with the full 4 day treatment then? Or is it a little excessive?

Also, any need for water changes? I didn't see anything in the instructions about them.
      I saw water changes mentioned several times in this thread...

https://www.koiphen.com/forums/showt...ion-and-dosing

If nothing else it will help clean up the water a little which always makes meds work better.
      --Steve

This user has no status.

Feeling:
      ----

So here are the results of KHV tests via the ELILSA antibody analysis performed from the blood samples of my two fish (one of which died the next day). They came out negative "technically" but there is definitely a catch according to the tests. According to the lab, some fish get the virus so quickly that they die before they can test positive. That may be the case in this situation. They recommend a newer test called a PCR on actual fish tissues to check for the virus. The threshold for a positive test from the ELISA values is >0.2, and my Aka Matsuba (Big Red) had a reading of 0.144 which is pretty close to the threshold. On the other hand, the Ginrin Chagoi that died the next day had a reading of 0.052 which surprisingly was even lower.

Dean Choi Koi KHV results.pdf

So, my situation looks a bit better but I'm still hesitant to celebrate or anything :P I'm going to finish up the Chloramine T treatment today, and if I continue to lose fish then my vet recommended that we test a fish via PCR.

If the situation was a specific Bacterial Gill disease affecting the fish, the Chloramine T treatments should have taken care of it, right? Is there any other treatment that I should apply to cover my bases?

• Remove Ads
        Advertising from Google
        Promoting Koi and Pond
        keeping since 2007

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123