• Tired

Thread: internal parasite???

Koi Rodgers is offline Junior Member
      This user has no status.

Feeling:
      ----

internal parasite???

Hello Everyone,
      koi in QT, 80 degrees, 8.2 pH. all parameters are in spec. found this in the tank when doing a water change this morning. Name:  20200906_104337.jpg
Views: 73
Size:  127.7 KB

Been in QT for a week with .6% salt. he was sequestering and not eating. still hasn't eaten for a week. no clamping or flashing.

reducing salinity gradually and starting a F&MG regimen tomorrow. has a sore on dorsal fin, so do a couple other koi in the main pond but they are eating well and acting normal.
      Name:  20200906_074959.jpg
Views: 70
Size:  40.3 KB
      Name:  20200906_075322.jpg
Views: 67
Size:  48.5 KB

Thoughts/help.
      TIA
      Last edited by Koi Rodgers; 2 Weeks Ago at 01:59 PM.

pondfishguy is offline Senior Member
      This user has no status.

Feeling:
      ----

Dead dragonfly nymph?

This user has no status.

Feeling:
      ----

could be. Also concerned about the sore/ulcer on the dorsal fin with him and a few others.

RichToyBox is offline Administrator ~
      Koi Health Care Committee Member
      This user has no status.

Feeling:
      Awesome

For the sores, get Tricide Neo on line. Apply as a dry powder with a dampened Q-Tip to the affected areas and give them a couple of weeks to recover.
      It is best to dump a small amount of the Tricide Neo on a plastic bag and dip the Q-Tip in it rather than dipping the Q-Tip in the package. After treatment, put the package in a freezer bag and freeze for future use.

"Our goal is to assist with emergency and Koi health issues, as well as educate on best practices. Please help us gain a clear picture by giving the original poster time to answer our questions before offering opinions and suggested treatments."

Zone 7 A/B
      Keep your words sweet. You never know when you may have to eat them.
      Richard

This user has no status.

Feeling:
      ----

Quote Originally Posted by RichToyBox View Post
      For the sores, get Tricide Neo on line. Apply as a dry powder with a dampened Q-Tip to the affected areas and give them a couple of weeks to recover.
      It is best to dump a small amount of the Tricide Neo on a plastic bag and dip the Q-Tip in it rather than dipping the Q-Tip in the package. After treatment, put the package in a freezer bag and freeze for future use.
      Thank you. will pick up right away

This user has no status.

Feeling:
      ----

Considering I have two more koi in the main pond both with sores on the dorsal fins, is there any treatment I can use to treat the whole pond? Always leary of netting butterfly koi. Plus, if three have it now the others might get it too?

This user has no status.

Feeling:
      Awesome

I would not use Tricide Neo in the pond. It is an antibiotic and as such would kill the bio bacteria in the filter as fast or faster than the bacterial infection of the fish.

"Our goal is to assist with emergency and Koi health issues, as well as educate on best practices. Please help us gain a clear picture by giving the original poster time to answer our questions before offering opinions and suggested treatments."

Zone 7 A/B
      Richard

This user has no status.

Feeling:
      ----

I would not use Tricide Neo in the pond. It is an antibiotic and as such would kill the bio bacteria in the filter as fast or faster than the bacterial infection of the fish.

Thanks, good to know.
      I am currently doing a FMG treatment of the pond. Anything else I can do short of capturing and quarantine of the other two fish? Any whole pond treatments?

Tricide neo is on the way for the one fish already in QT.

Thanks again for all your help. I want to make sure they are healthy prior to settling down for the winter.

This user has no status.

Feeling:
      Awesome

With the Tricide Neo, you can catch, sedate, treat and release back to the pond. I think Russ may have some whole pond treatment, but I have never done one. I have had minor infections and just done a wait and see to give the fish time to heal on their own. If the infection gets worse then treat, but not put them through the stress of catch and treat when they will heal on their own. Most important thing right now would be excellent water, high KH (100-300), consistent pH, zero ammonia and nitrite, and minimal temperature swings, and then let the fishes immune system work, it will have to any way, treated or not.

Zone 7 A/B
      Richard