• Sneaky
  • Tired

Thread: Red spots on my koi, Please Help

Justyna is offline Junior Member
      This user has no status.

Feeling:
      ----

Red spots on my koi, Please Help

Hi, can anyone help! how to cure my koi.
      My Koi is 4 years old about 19" long and he has those red spots, for about 2 weeks now. I'm not sure what it is? also is very hard for him to swim and has no appetite to eat. Water parameters are ok, I did the scrape and I didn't see anything moving under the microscope. Any advice Please.
      Attached Images Attached Images      

RichToyBox is offline Administrator ~
      Koi Health Care Committee Member
      This user has no status.

Feeling:
      Awesome

I can't be sure, but, it would appear to be potentially encysted juvenile anchor worm and the treatment would be Dimilin. Because they are encysted, it may take some time for them to all be killed, but give that a try. I know of no other cause.

"Our goal is to assist with emergency and Koi health issues, as well as educate on best practices. Please help us gain a clear picture by giving the original poster time to answer our questions before offering opinions and suggested treatments."

Zone 7 A/B
      Keep your words sweet. You never know when you may have to eat them.
      Richard

This user has no status.

Feeling:
      ----

Thank you so much for responding.
      I will use Dimilin in my QT and my pond.

Is it safe to use Dimilin with salt? In the QT I have him in 0.18% salt form Saturday I was adding salt gradually.

Would you recommend any brand of Dimilin? There is so many, or would this work?

https://www.amazon.com/Dimilin-X-Koi...43006c04a8c68a

Thank you

This user has no status.

Feeling:
      ----

Thank you so much for responding.
      I will use Dimilin in my QT and my pond.

Is it safe to use Dimilin with salt? In the QT I have him in 0.18% salt form Saturday I was adding salt gradually.

Would you recommend any brand of Dimilin? There is so many, or would this work?

https://www.amazon.com/Dimilin-X-Koi...43006c04a8c68a

Thank you

This user has no status.

Feeling:
      Awesome

Any brand of Dimilin will work, and I have no information that indicates that it cannot be used with salt. It is a Chiton inhibitor, meaning it prevents the formation of shell like structures, primarily on insects, but can also affect crayfish, shrimp, and other shell fish as well. It is the safest means of controlling fish lice and anchor worm with no effect on the fish or reptiles that frequent a pond.

"Our goal is to assist with emergency and Koi health issues, as well as educate on best practices. Please help us gain a clear picture by giving the original poster time to answer our questions before offering opinions and suggested treatments."

Zone 7 A/B
      Richard

This user has no status.

Feeling:
      ----

Hello Rich,

Update on my baby boy, as you advised I used Dimilin in my 150 gal QT and I also add salt to 45% and raised the temperature to 77 F and as you can see on the photos (before and after) it did clear out nicely, from red spots to white, there is still few little red spot left and a lot of marks on the skin from those spots. I did transport the QT to my basement because the temperature outside drop and it's colder over night and the water temp was below 60. I do water changes every 2 - 3 days for him I use another 150gal QT to prepare the water for the next water change with the same temperature and salt and no chlorine, so the water cycle for 48. Koi QT water is Nitrate 5-10, Nitrite 0.5-1.0, GH 75, KH 100, PH 7.
      The other issue is that he is having hard time moving / swimming, he just stays on the bottom or he will place himself on the plant and from time to time he will swim one circle around and go back to the plant again or the bottom. He eats very little and it takes time for him to come up and takes only 2-4 pallets and drop to the bottom I did try to feed him green pea but he won't eat it. I also notice when he sits on the bottom his body will go more to the left side. Could this be because his left pectoral fin is shorter that the right one? or there is another issue like infection, bacteria or swim bladder ?
      Please help, is there a treatment that I can use to help him get better.
      Name:  koi111.jpg
Views: 54
Size:  59.0 KBName:  koi222.jpg
Views: 55
Size:  77.6 KBName:  koi333.jpg
Size:  63.9 KBName:  koi444.jpg
Size:  80.9 KBName:  koi555.jpg
Size:  71.0 KBName:  koi666.jpg
Size:  77.6 KBName:  koi777.jpg
Size:  119.4 KBName:  koi888.jpg
Size:  144.4 KBName:  koi999.jpg
Size:  193.6 KBName:  koi1010.jpg
Size:  203.7 KBName:  koi1111.jpg
Size:  123.0 KBName:  koi1212.jpg
Size:  106.2 KBName:  koi1313.jpg
Size:  132.8 KBName:  koi1414.jpg
Size:  122.0 KBName:  koi1515.jpg
Size:  128.5 KB

This user has no status.

Feeling:
      Awesome

I hope the bottom 5 or 6 pictures are current and the others are pre-treatment. Those look good, while the first ones show a need for the dimilin still. If the bottom pictures are the current condition, I would place the fish back in the pond where the conditions are probably better than the isolation system. Better filtration and companion fish would probably give the fish more opportunity to socialize and swim more normal. The catching to switch tanks, or the frequent major water changes are keeping the fish stressed which is affecting how it wants to hide, isolate.

Zone 7 A/B
      Richard

This user has no status.

Feeling:
      ----

Yes, the last photos I took few days ago. I will have to move the QT outside for a day or two and acclimat him before I put him back in the pond as the temp in the pond is only 64 F, I'm just super worried that he is having hard time to swim. I hope is not some kind of secondery infection. When I took him out of the pond almost 4 weeks ago he was having hard time to swim but I thought is becouse of the red spots. I will update you in couple days.
      Thank you again