• Meh
  • Piratey
  • Poorly
  • Sad
  • Secret
  • Shy
  • Sneaky
  • Tired

Thread: New pond rebuild with 4 yr old koi. Used to be active now docile bottom swimmers

ma4utopia is offline Member
      This user has no status.

Feeling:
      ----

New pond rebuild with 4 yr old koi. Used to be active now docile bottom swimmers

Thank you all in advance for the responses.
      I just rebuilt my 600 gallons, 15 yr old pond to a 4K gallon, now to an HF performance pro pump using a bottom drain with a bead filter and separate skimmer run by a second pump .
      the first few days the koi went into a spawning session. then calmed down and were feeding well and very active all over the pond. surface swimming waterfall algea eating etc. very happy very active.
      My chemistry finally showed it cycling after 18 days, nice green algea growth on the falls and liner. no ammonia, no nitrites 20 on the nitrates. but my ph was under 7 and my KH was low. I had seeded the bead filter with Microbe 's bead filter bacteria a small amount under 6 oz. next day I put in some baking soda. admittingly probably too much.
      Next day the koi were acting weird. not eating. bottom grouping away from the area I put the baking soda in and away from the falls. I suspect they didn't like the ph swing. ph was 8.2. so I did 3 sets of 10% water changes over the next 3 days. Ph is still hovering around 8 and KH is down from close to 300 to 200.
      Koi are still acting lethargic and only eating small amounts not like the ravenish beast they used to be.
      any suggestions. i think possible another water change to bring the ph down and Kh down. my municipality water tests out around 7.7 to 7.5. i am using declor each time.Name:  2020-08-04 16.08.43.jpg
Views: 105
Size:  292.9 KBName:  2020-08-11 14.54.05.jpg
Views: 104
Size:  772.7 KB
      Last edited by ma4utopia; 3 Weeks Ago at 10:11 AM.

graybird is offline Supporting Member ~ Koi Health Care Committee Member
      This user has no status.

Feeling:
      ----

Gorgeous pond!

I think you have self-diagnosed correctly, the koi have been in a state of shock from the pH swing. Keep doing water changes and monitoring your numbers as you have been.
      Mary

This user has no status.

Feeling:
      ----

Thank you for the reassurance and your kind words

This user has no status.

Feeling:
      ----

Ph is high kh is low
      8.2 on ph
      89.7 for kh. = 5 °dkh
      How can I raise my alkalinity slightly while lowering ph slightly?
      My alkalinity was at almost 300 a few days ago.
      My koi still look lethargic. Except for a few hrs yesterday when the chemistry was slightly better. We did have a rain storm last night that added about 3/4 of an inch.

RichToyBox is offline Administrator ~
      Koi Health Care Committee Member
      This user has no status.

Feeling:
      Awesome

Don't worry about the pH being about 8.2 to 8.4 as that is the stable pH for systems with the carbonate/bicarbonate/carbon dioxide buffer system. As long as there is adequate KH, and I like values between 100 and 200 but not worried about 300ppm KH, as any value above about 80ppm is going to be stable pH at that 8.2 to 8.4 pH, and as long as the pH is stable, the fish are fine. Now if the pH goes much above the 8.4, then the system needs calcium to form calcium carbonate, from the excess carbonates produced when too many hydrogen ions are used to neutralize hydroxide ions. If the pH goes down very much with a good KH, then the pond needs aeration to blow off the excess carbon dioxide that in water forms carbonic acid. Raising the KH is best accomplished with baking soda, and there is a calculator at the top of the page that will calculate the amount needed to bring the KH up by some value. Since it is constantly being consumed, there is a need to add periodically to keep a good value for pH stability. After you monitor for a few weeks and see how fast it is being consumed you can figure out about how often and how much you need to add.

There are other buffers that are available at the tropical fish stores for more acid water, or more neutral water, but the price is not competitive with baking soda, and for most of us, our water has come through limestone deposits that give it a natural carbonate loading, making it difficult to bring the pH down to one of those other buffer values.

"Our goal is to assist with emergency and Koi health issues, as well as educate on best practices. Please help us gain a clear picture by giving the original poster time to answer our questions before offering opinions and suggested treatments."

Zone 7 A/B
      Keep your words sweet. You never know when you may have to eat them.
      Richard

This user has no status.

Feeling:
      ----

thank you for the reply, my concern was that the koi were acting very odd. With these readings, I have above the koi are back to their old active ways and are looking very healthy. I'm just going to see where the chemistry balances out over the next few days. I'll continue the small water changes every few days.