• Sneaky
  • Tired

Thread: 2nd koi died today

bsavage is offline Junior Member
      This user has no status.

Feeling:
      ----

2nd koi died today

For the past 2 weeks Iíve been trying to rid my pond of parasites with no luck, when I first found out my fish were looking weird I rushed to the koiís store and grabbed api pimafix and melafix with no luck did some reading than I bought pro form c online did the water changes and I dosed the whole pond for 3 days with no signs of them getting better Iím not sure if I am suppose to keep treating with pro form c till they look better so I stopped and salted the water to .5% I ordered Kusuri fluke m that still being shipped any ideas on what to do next should I redose them in pro form c leave them in salt or shot gun them with kusuri and pro c

How big is it? About 170-200 gallons 50 gallon drum barrel and 120gl pond
      how long has it been up and running? since this batch of kois its been about a year and a half also recently added fish that died a week later and that same thing on its tail as the picture water changes were not done often just water top ups
      how many koi do you have and how big are they? i had 7 now 5 and 3 gold fish 1 gold fish with a black spot on its body
      what kind of filtration do you have? i have 1 pump that's in the pond that gets filtered by a 5 gallon bucket filled with lava rocks to the top and a filter media that covers the top in the 50 gallon drum no uv light prior to spotting the illness now i do have one and i just added biohome ultimate media and 1 air pump with 2 airstones that was just added after they got sick
      do you test your water? not often so no but now yes a lot, the last reading i took before i did any water changes was 160ppm nitrates according to the test kit
      have there been any recent changes to your pond, such as adding new fish? my sisters go us 2 more kois about 6 inches we acclimated them and released them in to the water with the bag water a week later that fish had a opened wound and died the other one has fin rot on the tail fin, after that my dad changed the liner in the pond because of leaks and that when i noticed the fishes weren't looking right

Name:  49E00D24-E560-4147-B664-BE48B8F6BBC3.jpg
Views: 153
Size:  184.7 KB

perniciousviper is online now Supporting Member
      This user has no status.

Feeling:
      ----

Hi bsavage, sorry for the reason you've posted. What are your water parameters? Ammonia, pH, nitrite etc? My initial thoughts are your pond is massively undersized, your filtration is completely overwhelmed and your water quality is extremely poor. Your fish are developing rapidly deteriorating sores and rot that they cannot recover from, and the poor water quality is accelerating their decline.

Can you rig up a temporary pool with aeration (don't forget to use dechlor and chloramine neutraliser if required) for the fish you have left, which will provide you with enough time (think along the lines of a couple of days max) to throw together some improved temporary filtration, I would suggest a few milk crates stacked together filled with porous media as an ad hoc shower sitting in a corner of the pool, pump fed from above. Do large water changes (30-50 per cent) every other day. That may buy you a little longer to tackle creating them a permanent environment that will support their health. Pond - 1,000 gallons minimum, 3x that would be better, a more long term shower filter, a bottom drain (retro or standard, either is better than none), a pump that can process the entire volume of water at least once an hour, and some kind of mechanical filtration after the pump and before the shower.

I don't see your fish getting any better without urgent and drastic action.

If you have a nearby koi club, Certified Koi Keeper, or decent koi dealer, they may be willing to scrape your fish to see what is going on with them beyond what can be seen with the naked eye.

Good luck.
      Last edited by perniciousviper; 4 Weeks Ago at 05:46 PM.

RichToyBox is offline Administrator ~
      Koi Health Care Committee Member
      This user has no status.

Feeling:
      Awesome

In addition to pernicious vipers post, can you describe any activity of the fish that has you concerned or are you trying to treat the ulcer and fin rot with parasite meds?

I agree the pond is way undersize for koi. General rule of thumb is one koi for each 250 gallons of water. Your pond would lend itself to about 4 or 5 goldfish, unless you upsize significantly. Your nitrate levels are as high as they are because you have too many fish in too little water, and make too few water changes. Ammonia and nitrite are converted by your filter, but nitrate is the end result and is not consumed by anything, only diluted by water changes.

For the ulcers and fin rot, you need to treat with antibiotics. The one that is most readily available would be Tricide Neo. Find it on the internet. It is sold as a bath and for the fish of the size that I suspect yours are, I would probably go with the baths. The one gallon size packet might be enough. Mix the packet with a gallon of distilled water. In a one gallon baggie, put about 1/3 of the liquid and then put the fish in that for the designated period of time, then remove that fish and put the next in. Rinse each fish before adding it back to the pond. Refrigerate the balance of the gallon for use the second and third day.

"Our goal is to assist with emergency and Koi health issues, as well as educate on best practices. Please help us gain a clear picture by giving the original poster time to answer our questions before offering opinions and suggested treatments."

Zone 7 A/B
      Keep your words sweet. You never know when you may have to eat them.
      Richard

This user has no status.

Feeling:
      ----

pernicious vipers After I found out they were sick that’s when I did a nitrate test and it was 160ppm (red) after the weeks of me treating them in meds and doing water changes now that I salted the pond the water parameter is 7.6 ph 0 ammonia 0 nitrites 0-20 nitrates

This user has no status.

Feeling:
      ----

Richtoybox the fish I’m worried about are flashing here and there I’m seeing white things on their tails and finrot mouth rot also something that looks like a ich kind of helpless at this point

This user has no status.

Feeling:
      Awesome

The flashing is most likely flukes and the Fluke M should take care of that. Ich and the other parasites should have been taken care of with the Proform C. Fin rot, tail rot, mouth rot, are all bacterial infections as is the large ulcer (sore) and would best be treated with the Tricide Neo. If you can get a picture of the white spots that would be beneficial.

"Our goal is to assist with emergency and Koi health issues, as well as educate on best practices. Please help us gain a clear picture by giving the original poster time to answer our questions before offering opinions and suggested treatments."

Zone 7 A/B
      Richard

This user has no status.

Feeling:
      ----

Name:  C862970A-709E-4B10-9267-5113E7DC16A4.jpg
Views: 127
Size:  116.5 KB

This user has no status.

Feeling:
      ----

Name:  A567D7D2-6817-4238-BCE0-7725C77AB016.jpg
Views: 129
Size:  50.2 KB that gold one just developed a opens wound 1 day ago I took it out treated it with iodine and sealed it up with denture powder

This user has no status.

Feeling:
      ----

Name:  0C1C3B42-6F66-45A7-852C-2B45EB65937C.jpg
Views: 129
Size:  175.1 KB

This user has no status.

Feeling:
      Awesome

The white spots are too big to be ich. May be encysted juvenile anchor worm, but I would wait to treat until I got the infections cleared up.

Zone 7 A/B
      Richard

This user has no status.

Feeling:
      ----

Quote Originally Posted by RichToyBox View Post
      The white spots are too big to be ich. May be encysted juvenile anchor worm, but I would wait to treat until I got the infections cleared up.
      Do you know what that black spot could be first pic middle fish

montwila is offline Supporting Member ~ Koi Health Care Committee Member
      This user has no status.

Feeling:
      ----

The black spot is developing sumi (black). It appears to be three scales.