• Tired

Thread: Early dropsy

stevethebeve is offline Junior Member
      This user has no status.

Feeling:
      ----

Early dropsy

Hey everyone,
      I have a 3 inch koi which I believe is in the early signs of dropsy as the scales towards the gills are starting to become slightly flared outwards (will post photos soon). I am aware that "dropsy" is merely a symptom of other underlying issues such as poor water quality. He's currently in a qt tank with plenty of air. What should i use to treat him?

Any help is greatly appreciated!

RichToyBox is offline Administrator ~
      Koi Health Care Committee Member
      This user has no status.

Feeling:
      Awesome

Dropsy is caused when more water enters the fish than the kidneys can remove. This can be caused by a large ulcer allowing water an easier path than going through the membrane called skin, or it can be caused by kidney failure. For kidney failure can be due to an internal infection affecting the fish or bad kidneys. If it is an internal infection, the best treatment would be antibiotics, but often due to the kidneys being used to remove poisons antibiotics can hammer the kidneys, so it is a toss up as to its effectiveness. The best antibiotics are injectible antibiotics like Baytril or Amikacin. The problem with them is that it is difficult to find a source, since most vets don't treat fish, they are unwilling to fill prescriptions. The next best would be Tricide Neo, which is marketed as a bath, and for a fish of this size I would probably go with it as a bath. Buy the 1 gallon packet, and mix in accordance with instructions. Using a one gallon size ziplock bag, put about 1 quart of the mix in the bag with the fish for the designated treatment time, rinse and return to the QT tank.

The pond and QT tank need to have pristine water for good healing. I would like to see the numbers for ammonia, nitrite, nitrate, pH, KH, and temperature for both facilities. If ammonia is present this will burn the fishes gills and impede the expelling of ammonia through the gills. If nitrites are present, they will cross the gills and combine with the red blood cells converting them to brown blood cells which carry no oxygen, so the fish will suffocate, even with plenty of oxygen in the water. If the KH is low the pH will shift significantly morning to evening, causing stress.

A description of the pond/tank/facility with information on filtration, turnover rate, plants or not, gravel or not, age, will help us to help you achieve the best environment for your fish.

"Our goal is to assist with emergency and Koi health issues, as well as educate on best practices. Please help us gain a clear picture by giving the original poster time to answer our questions before offering opinions and suggested treatments."

Zone 7 A/B
      Keep your words sweet. You never know when you may have to eat them.
      Richard

This user has no status.

Feeling:
      ----

Thanks for the info Richard.

Currently at work but my as per the API pond master test kit, my perameters were as follows:
      pH: 7.5
      Ammonia: 0
      Nitrite: 0
      Phosphate: 0

In the main pond, there are some reed-like plants which I'm not too sure of what they are, as well as small pebbles on the floor of the pond. Pond has been going for around 3 months. Also, it looks like Tricide neo isn't available in Australia. I'm lead to believe this is an internal issue as there appears to be no wounds on the fish. Are there any other alternatives?

Thanks,
      Steve

This user has no status.

Feeling:
      ----

I've also been advised to salt the quarantine tank to 0.9% and raise temmperature to 25 degrees celcius. My tank is 20L, so how would I go about calculating the 0.9% salt?

kdh is offline Senior Member
      This user has no status.

Feeling:
      ----

pics?

Nuspeed007 is offline Junior Member
      This user has no status.

Feeling:
      ----

Steve,
      20L of water is 20,000 gram in weight. Take 20K X .009 (.9%)=180 gram of salt. Use natural sea salt, cooking salt has additive that may be toxic to your aquatic environment. Good luck

icu2 is online now Administrator ~ WWKC Treasurer
      is is old and cranky

Feeling:
      Friendly

Quote Originally Posted by Nuspeed007 View Post
      Steve,
      20L of water is 20,000 gram in weight. Take 20K X .009 (.9%)=180 gram of salt. Use natural sea salt, cooking salt has additive that may be toxic to your aquatic environment. Good luck

Or if you forget how figure iti there are calculators at the top of the forum under "Koi Calculators"

https://www.koiphen.com/forums/koicalcs.php?do=calcsalt
      --Steve

Control your own destiny or someone else will.

---Jack Welch

RichToyBox is offline Administrator ~
      Koi Health Care Committee Member
      This user has no status.

Feeling:
      Awesome

I am not sure of the availability of antibiotics in your country. I do know that https://www.thefishvet.com.au/ is in your country and may be your best source of drugs.

"Our goal is to assist with emergency and Koi health issues, as well as educate on best practices. Please help us gain a clear picture by giving the original poster time to answer our questions before offering opinions and suggested treatments."

Zone 7 A/B
      Keep your words sweet. You never know when you may have to eat them.
      Richard