• Sneaky
  • Tired

Thread: Yamabuki/Showa/Goshiki Cross

Akuma is offline Junior Member
      This user has no status.

Feeling:
      ----

Yamabuki/Showa/Goshiki Cross

Would anyone know what the offspring of a cross between Yamabuki(F) with the following Males: 2- Showas , 1 Gin Rin Showa & 1 Gin Rin Goshiki, be??? Would the answer be Kin Showa/Goshiki???

Thanks in advance

• Remove Ads
        Advertising from Google
        Promoting Koi and Pond
        keeping since 2007

kevins2ooo is offline Senior Member
      This user has no status.

Feeling:
      ----

There is a breeder in Hawaii that is currently experimenting with this combo. I am pretty sure you will get a mix of everything. You really need to know the parents of those parent koi to more accurate predict the result.

Orlando is offline Senior Member
      This user has no status.

Feeling:
      ----

Quote Originally Posted by Akuma View Post
      Would anyone know what the offspring of a cross between Yamabuki(F) with the following Males: 2- Showas , 1 Gin Rin Showa & 1 Gin Rin Goshiki, be??? Would the answer be Kin Showa/Goshiki???

Thanks in advance
      I would really like to see the results of that cross are you planning on spawning that group next spring?

This user has no status.

Feeling:
      ----

Quote Originally Posted by kevins2ooo View Post
      There is a breeder in Hawaii that is currently experimenting with this combo. I am pretty sure you will get a mix of everything. You really need to know the parents of those parent koi to more accurate predict the result.
      Hey Kevin,

Correct. I actually purchased some of his fry from that breeding pair.

This user has no status.

Feeling:
      ----

Quote Originally Posted by Orlando View Post
      I would really like to see the results of that cross are you planning on spawning that group next spring?
      No, I actually started my journey into the koi world with fry from that breeding pair. Hence my curiosity as i have mix of dark, light fry.

This user has no status.

Feeling:
      ----

Here are a copy of pics of the Fry. Name:  20200813_140615.jpg
Views: 255
Size:  79.5 KBName:  20200812_133211.jpg
Views: 256
Size:  56.0 KBName:  20200812_125255.jpg
Views: 254
Size:  96.6 KB

Matt24 is offline Senior Member
      is watchin' em grow

Feeling:
      ----

You have some interesting prospects there Akuma. My guess would be that you could get all of the types that you bred with metallic, non-metallic, ginrin, and non-ginrin versions of each. Hopefully, you can show us what a metallic goshiki will look like. I think some may have an appearance that will seem partly metallic as well.

This user has no status.

Feeling:
      ----

Quote Originally Posted by Matt24 View Post
      You have some interesting prospects there Akuma. My guess would be that you could get all of the types that you bred with metallic, non-metallic, ginrin, and non-ginrin versions of each. Hopefully, you can show us what a metallic goshiki will look like. I think some may have an appearance that will seem partly metallic as well.
      Hey Matt,

These are fry I purchased. However, yess I will keeping the thread going and updating as they grow. There are some fry that stick out with already great color and patterns. Hopefully in the 2 weeks I'll go through them and take a headcount and photograph and video them all. Right now it's to make sure I destress and see some growth.

This user has no status.

Feeling:
      ----

Here is a random scoop of the fry!!! Name:  20200816_124832.jpg
Views: 229
Size:  59.9 KBName:  20200816_124907.jpg
Views: 229
Size:  61.2 KBName:  20200816_130126.jpg
Views: 230
Size:  118.2 KB

Spartan is offline Senior Member
      This user has no status.

Feeling:
      ----

A lot of predominantly dark fry. Perhaps most of those are too small to know for certain if patterns will emerge... but unlikely. The others with early patterns look promising. I don't see much gin rin... Keep posting pics every few weeks to keep us updated. Good luck!

• Remove Ads
        Advertising from Google
        Promoting Koi and Pond
        keeping since 2007

This user has no status.

Feeling:
      ----

Update of the week. I did a large water change and lose 15 fry. However all were the predominantly all dark frys. Luckily all the colored and pattern fry were safe. It seems that I am fighting ammonia issue stays consistent at 1ppm. Should I lower my feeding to twice ba day????? Here are some feeding pics.Name:  20200821_161505.jpg
Views: 184
Size:  84.8 KBName:  20200820_104406.jpg
Views: 184
Size:  118.4 KB

is watchin' em grow

Feeling:
      ----

If you are not already, you may want to bind the ammonia with Ammo-lock, Fritz ACCR, or something. Also see if your tap water has ammonia, possibly from a chloramine additive.

This user has no status.

Feeling:
      ----

If you are not already, you may want to bind the ammonia with Ammo-lock, Fritz ACCR, or something. Also see if your tap water has ammonia, possibly from a chloramine additive.
      Hey Matt,

Yeah I order a API Ammo lock and dosed the pound accordingly. My tap water test 0.25 ppm ammonia off the get go.

is watchin' em grow

Feeling:
      ----

At this size, I'd feed all that I think they are eating, without much waste, removing anything uneaten. But keep the ammonia bound. Why is it so high? New filter that is not cycled yet?

That 0.25 ammonia from the tap does not seem too bad to me, apparently not the biggest part of the 1.0 ppm problem. My tap water typically is over 1.0 ppm . Do you know why 15 fry would die during a water change? I suspect Ammo-lock eliminates Chloramine, which can be deadly, especially to small koi, but I am not sure if it does that.

With 3 of the 4 adult males having been showa, the dark fry may have showa characteristics. The good showa start as dark, and the lighter colors appear later (2-3 months). At least that is in showa spawns. I'm not sure about when crossed with a yamabuki. Who is the breeder?

This user has no status.

Feeling:
      ----

At this size, I'd feed all that I think they are eating, without much waste, removing anything uneaten. But keep the ammonia bound. Why is it so high? New filter that is not cycled yet?

That 0.25 ammonia from the tap does not seem too bad to me, apparently not the biggest part of the 1.0 ppm problem. My tap water typically is over 1.0 ppm . Do you know why 15 fry would die during a water change? I suspect Ammo-lock eliminates Chloramine, which can be deadly, especially to small koi, but I am not sure if it does that.

With 3 of the 4 adult males having been showa, the dark fry may have showa characteristics. The good showa start as dark, and the lighter colors appear later (2-3 months). At least that is in showa spawns. I'm not sure about when crossed with a yamabuki. Who is the breeder?
      Hey Matt,

The feeding has been something of a mystery to me. I have been feeding about anywhere between 3-5 times a day. I mix it up between 1-2 Brine Shrimp Treats, Tetra Flakes, and Hikari Small Pellets. I have two Sponge Filters in my 100 Gallon Stock Tank with two Air Stone. I am not sure why the ammonia is high. I have started to do small water changes (5-10%) every other day. In the last week, I've noticed that the water is clearer and the fry are now responding more to when try to hand feed.

I honestly think that the fry died during the water change because I did almost a 75% water change and it was too much stress. Since then I have not any deaths and the fry seem to be growing.

The fry are estimated to be already about 75 days old. There is a large variety in size and colors. I am seeing a mix of Kin, Ki, Beni & Gin. There is a particular little fry that is completely Dark but has beautiful silver pattern that I am hoping to see grow and develop.

The breeder is out of Hawaii and his name is Galen. All his Oyagoi are all from top Japan breeders. I have seen a few of his domestic bred Showa's and they are superb quality.

• Remove Ads
        Advertising from Google
        Promoting Koi and Pond
        keeping since 2007