• Tired
  • Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Koi fish skin peeling, can this fish be saved? Emergency

webted is offline Senior Member
      This user has no status.

Feeling:
      ----

Quote Originally Posted by California View Post
      Quick follow up, the Fish started floating to the surface and laying on its side very close to being dead so I put him down. Above a few more question regards to treating my pond now with the other fish to make sure they are not going to die. Another question, how do I clean a quarantine set up like the pump and everything, do I use chlorine or I just let it dry out for a week what’s the procedure of getting something sanitized?
      Hi California:

Here are effective treatments based on breaking down viral particles:

200ppm NaOCl (bleach) for 1 hour
      200ppm iodophors for 20min
      60 ppm benzalkonium chloride, 20 min

https://books.google.com/books?id=Zw...201996&f=false

Standard household bleach is 5.25% (w/v). That means every 100mL of the solution has 5.25 grams of bleach in it. This is also the same as saying every 100mL has 5250mg of bleach. I'm stressing this because an easy way to figure ppm is to convert it to milligrams per liter (mg/L).

Let's say you want to get to 200ppm in a 10L system. You multiply the size of the system (in liters) times the desired ppm.

10L * (200mg/L) = 2000mg.

Okay, you need to get 2000mg of pure bleach (NaOCl) in there, and you have a solution that has 5250mg in every 100mL. To figure out how much of that solution you need to add:

2000mg * (100mL / 5250 mg) = 38mL

If you look at a tablespoon, you'll see that it is ~15mL. So you need a little more than 2.5 tablespoons of bleach for every 10L in your q-tank, running for at least 1 hour.

You can see where a few cheap plastic graduated cylinders (for example: https://www.amazon.com/Plastic-Gradu.../dp/B076VKP4CP) and a scale that measures accurately in milligrams can make this a lot more precise. You can also see where you can get away from a lot of complicated nonsense calculations if you just learn two things:

#1 the volume of your pond in liters
      #2 ppm is equal to milligrams per liter

After you've finished with the bleach, I would run some hydrogen peroxide through the system to break the bleach down. You don't need to work too hard to calculate this, just drain the bleach, add clean water and dump about the same amount of drugstore peroxide (typically 3% w/v) in. Let it run for a few hours, then dump it out and let everything air dry. There's largely no residue from the peroxide to worry about.

I'm sorry about the fish.

You probably need more air in the pond. I would look to at least a 25LPM air pump, which Laguna (that's your local shop, right?) should have. If not, Billy has a bunch. http://www.cascade-pond-supply.com/K...tion-c-25.html Most come with a cheap manifold, which you can branch off to your q-tank when you need to, but you'll need to make sure the hoses are isolated in the event of pump failure (i.e. make sure the air pump is above the level of water in both systems). Get separate air stones for the q-tank.

-t

• Remove Ads
        Advertising from Google
        Promoting Koi and Pond
        keeping since 2007

California is offline Junior Member
      This user has no status.

Feeling:
      ----

Quote Originally Posted by Russell Peters View Post
      You need to put in 100mg per 250 gallons and you have 4,500 gallons. 4,500 divided by 250 is 18. 1800mg is 1.8 grams. You can figure out how much salt you need with the salt calculator on Koiphen

https://www.koiphen.com/forums/koicalcs.php
      Love it, thank you. After that treatment, should I do a complete water change?

California is offline Junior Member
      This user has no status.

Feeling:
      ----

Quote Originally Posted by webted View Post
      Hi California:

Here are effective treatments based on breaking down viral particles:

200ppm NaOCl (bleach) for 1 hour
      200ppm iodophors for 20min
      60 ppm benzalkonium chloride, 20 min

-t
      I’ll start working on this process this weekend. That’s for the support!!

Rich8888ri is offline Senior Member
      This user has no status.

Feeling:
      ----

Oakdale new york (Suffolk County long Island)
      I have a question. Is the Oxolinic Acid more affective, less effective, or the same as using elbagin from Japan for bacterial issues?

Russell Peters is offline Supporting Member
      This user has no status.

Feeling:
      ----

Quote Originally Posted by Rich8888ri View Post
      I have a question. Is the Oxolinic Acid more affective, less effective, or the same as using elbagin from Japan for bacterial issues?
      If it is used correctly it is way more effective than El Bagin
      people like to vehemently defend their purchases and find it incredulous that anything could be better

LobsterOfJustice is offline Senior Member
      This user has no status.

Feeling:
      ----

You need to put in 100mg per 250 gallons and you have 4,500 gallons. 4,500 divided by 250 is 18. 1800mg is 1.8 grams. You can figure out how much salt you need with the salt calculator on Koiphen

https://www.koiphen.com/forums/koicalcs.php
      Sorry if I’m misunderstanding... this would be the dose for pure OA but he has the Oxolium which is only 4% OA so his dose would be different correct? 1.8 grams is a minuscule dose for 4500 gallons of water... I’m not questioning you but that surely is surprising. Is that re-dosed daily? For how many days?

I’ve got some fish with fin/tail rot (red margins and streaks) and I’m trying to understand how to use the OA here but I don’t like the discrepancy in the label instruction and the confusion about whether the products are pure OA or not. Russel do you have a source for something you know is pure OA?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

This user has no status.

Feeling:
      ----

Quote Originally Posted by LobsterOfJustice View Post
      Sorry if I’m misunderstanding... this would be the dose for pure OA but he has the Oxolium which is only 4% OA so his dose would be different correct? 1.8 grams is a minuscule dose for 4500 gallons of water... I’m not questioning you but that surely is surprising. Is that re-dosed daily? For how many days?

I’ve got some fish with fin/tail rot (red margins and streaks) and I’m trying to understand how to use the OA here but I don’t like the discrepancy in the label instruction and the confusion about whether the products are pure OA or not. Russel do you have a source for something you know is pure OA?

Who has Oxolium? I think it would be impossible for any one to have Oxolium as the only company that had Oxolium was Argent and Argent has been out of business for many years. What the OP has is Oxolinic acid that has the WRONG dose published on the container. This is a big problem. How harmful is the wrong dose rate? I am not sure but I would not want to find out.

Oxolinic acid was invented by a Japanese company and I learned how to use it from Japanese breeders. The dose I recommended of 1.8 grams for the OP is accurate. I have been using this product for five years, at the dose rate of 100mg per 250 gallons, and it has worked every time I have used it. You add it ONCE and you must keep the water, salt and OA the same for three days. The ideal water temperature for the treatment is 74 and, if your water is colder, it won’t work as well.

If you don’t like the discrepancy then you should contact the person who sold it to you and find out why they don’t know what they are selling. I buy it by the kilo.
      people like to vehemently defend their purchases and find it incredulous that anything could be better

LobsterOfJustice is offline Senior Member
      This user has no status.

Feeling:
      ----

Thank you Russell, I just ordered the Oxolinic Acid (Oxolium Oxolinic Acid 100G )
      Also, thank you for the explanation about the product issues, the one you post this is exactly the one I ordered.
      This is why I think the OP has Oxolium.

This user has no status.

Feeling:
      ----

Quote Originally Posted by LobsterOfJustice View Post
      This is why I think the OP has Oxolium.

Oxolium does NOT exists and the OP has no clue so he was just repeating something he did not understand. Oxolium is a product name for diluted OA marketed by Argent and they are no longer in business so, it does not exist. Again, go after the dealer that sold you the product and have him/her explain what it is. Chances are they can't.
      Attached Images Attached Images  

jcardona1 is offline Senior Member
      This user has no status.

Feeling:
      ----

Oxolium does NOT exists and the OP has no clue so he was just repeating something he did not understand. Oxolium is a product name for diluted OA marketed by Argent and they are no longer in business so, it does not exist. Again, go after the dealer that sold you the product and have him/her explain what it is. Chances are they can't.
      This place supposedly has it, so who knows.

https://www.finsandpaws.com/online-s...100G-p84920624

Sent from my SM-G973U using Tapatalk
      ~ Jose

• Remove Ads
        Advertising from Google
        Promoting Koi and Pond
        keeping since 2007

This user has no status.

Feeling:
      ----

Quote Originally Posted by jcardona1 View Post
      This place supposedly has it, so who knows.

https://www.finsandpaws.com/online-s...100G-p84920624

Sent from my SM-G973U using Tapatalk
      Yes, I should have said it is no longer made. I have some too, bought it 15 years ago and here it sits because it is useless. If there is a dealer taking Oxolium out of the bottle and repackaging it as Oxolinic acid then they are not only stupid but a thief. The jar of Oxolium goes for $49 and the 100 grams the OP bought goes for $90.00. The jars of Oxolium I have are 500 grams and went for $39. Oxolium is 4% Oxolinic acid and I can get a Kilo of 100% pure OA for $340.00. Just doesn’t make sense does it? Argent has been out of business for years so all of the Oxolium that you may find for sale is very old.
      Last edited by Russell Peters; 08-02-2020 at 06:22 PM.

This user has no status.

Feeling:
      ----

This dealer shows Oxolium has been discontinued. Why? Argent is gone so, again, anything you find on the Internet is old.

This user has no status.

Feeling:
      ----

No where on this jar does it say Oxolium. I would wager that the dealer bought a Kilo of Oxolinic acid and broke it down into 100 gram jars to sell. The only thing wrong with this is that the dose is wrong. Again, I would suggest contacting the dealer selling this and ask what it is.
      Last edited by Russell Peters; 08-02-2020 at 06:40 PM.

fly4koi is offline Senior Member
      This user has no status.

Feeling:
      ----

No where on this jar does it say Oxolium. I would wager that the dealer bought a Kilo of Oxolinic acid and broke it down into 100 gram jars to sell. The only thing wrong with this is that the dose is wrong. Again, I would suggest contacting the dealer selling this and ask what it is.
      Sorry to revive this old thread, but I've been dealing with infection so I found the thread and did some investigations...

Your recommended dosage is 100mg per 250 gallons, or 10.5mg per 100L, which is 0.1ppm.

I asked Cascade Pond and he said it's 99% pure OA per manufacturer.

I also looked up some Japanese koi medication sites for reference (mainly to treat aeromonas infection):

One medication called for 4 hours bath, or continuous use if serious, the concentration is 500mg per 100ml, direction says 10ml per 10L water, translates to 50mg per 10L water, which is 5ppm.
      https://www.shopping-charm.jp/produc...c-393938303031

The discontinued Oxolium calls for 2.4g per 95L of water, which after 39.4mg/g purity, translates to 95mg per 95L of water, or 100mg per 100L of water,, at 1ppm.
      The Cascade Pond recipe calls for 1/4 teaspoon per 30 gal (114L) of water, 1 teaspoon is about 3.4g, so 1/4 is 0.85g, or 850mg, per 114L of water, which is 749mg per 100L of water, or 7.5.ppm for 3 days.

I also found professors of National Taiwan Ocean University has written the following:

12mg/L bath for 15 minutes, 2 times a day for 3 days, that's 1200mg per 100L of water, or 12ppm.
      0.5mg/L continuous usage, which translates to 50mg per 100L of water., or 0.5ppm.
      5mg/kg for feed.
      https://blog.xuite.net/tiegnnzs208/twblog/132128147

there is another source said 30mg/kg of fish feed for carp, 3-5 days

This medicated food recipe calls for 20ml per 1KG of feed, at 100ml with 5g OA concentration, translates to 1g of OA per 1KG of feed.
      https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=d8zArRjKHAM
      https://www.nishikigoiten.com/shop/p...roduct_id=3803

Cascade Pond OA recipe calls for 10g per 1lb, or 2200mg per 1KG of feed.

It seems to me that the Cascade Pond recipe is a bit high dosage.
      Last edited by fly4koi; 07-14-2023 at 03:41 AM.

• Remove Ads
        Advertising from Google
        Promoting Koi and Pond
        keeping since 2007

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12