• Meh
  • Piratey
  • Poorly
  • Sad
  • Secret
  • Shy
  • Sneaky
  • Tired

Thread: Lesions on a small koi, probably caused by fluke, any hope?

SimonW is offline Senior Member
      This user has no status.

Feeling:
      ----

Lesions on a small koi, probably caused by fluke, any hope?

Hello friends:

About 1 month ago my koi got problem with fluke and possibly also costia and Chilodonella. Now they are under control (F-MG and Fluke-M, 2 treatments each).

Most of the koi managed it without any visible damage except 2 small ones. One was so damaged that I put it down. The other is still alive:

Name:  20200728_145852.jpg
Views: 137
Size:  67.2 KB

A bigger picture of the lesion:
      Name:  20200728_145852b.jpg
Views: 126
Size:  95.9 KB

I did not notice the lesions until for about 1 week ago. I took scraping at the lesions, and I did not see any fluke, nor anything resemble costia or chilo under microscope. I assume that the parasites were all killed, so I treated it topically with iodine before I put it in water with 0.6% salt.

One week later, earlier today I examined it, and the lesions seem to be the same: Neither improved nor worsened. I gave it iodine treatment again and put it back.

I wonder:

How big chance do I have to save it?

The koi is about 10 cm, and the water quality: ammonia 0, nitrite 0.1 ppm, nitrate 20 ppm, KH is 4 dKH.

Thanks for your thoughts!

• Remove Ads
        Advertising from Google
        Promoting Koi and Pond
        keeping since 2007

This user has no status.

Feeling:
      ----

I suddenly realize that probably it is a mistake to treat the lesion with iodine, as when there is no infection the chemical will hurt the healthy tissue, making recovery slower.

This user has no status.

Feeling:
      ----

The small koi that was so damaged that I put it down:

I just wonder if the damage is typical for fluke or something else?

Name:  20200715_133901 damaged by parasites.jpg
Views: 132
Size:  108.3 KB

richtoybox is offline Administrator
      This user has no status.

Feeling:
      Awesome

For the lesions, I would get the Tricide Neo. I like to use the one gallon size packet, split into 4 doses. Mix one dose with distilled water and put that in a spray bottle. Treat the fish in accordance with instructions, except keep the fish soaking with the spray, rather than putting it in a bath. The other three doses can be put in ziplock type bags in the freezer until the next time they are needed. This allows for essentially the same treatment as normal with much less waste. The unused portion in the spray bottle can be refrigerated until the next dose.
      Zone 7 A/B
      Keep your words sweet. You never know when you may have to eat them.
      Richard

icu2 is offline Administrator ~ WWKC President
      ~ WWKC Treasurer
      is sorry otters exist

Feeling:
      Annoyed

I'd only add that that is not typical from just flukes.
      --Steve

Koiphen 2021 Koi Person of the Year!

This user has no status.

Feeling:
      ----

Quote Originally Posted by icu2 View Post
      I'd only add that that is not typical from just flukes.
      Thanks! Then I wonder if you know what the possible cause is? It has been kept in a plastic tank without anything inside except a submerged pump, air-stone and thermometer.

When I was a boy I used to keep gold fish, and then I had no idea of any fish diseases. I just noticed there were always one or two individuals got mysteriously sick while others were un-affected. So I just wonder if you experienced koi-keepers have had mysterious sickness of isolated koi? What I mean is that you never succeeded in finding out why these individuals are sick, and the sickness only affected them, not the others?

Thanks!

This user has no status.

Feeling:
      Awesome

The lesions are bacterial infections. The cause could be any of several causes or a combination. You mention flukes, but flukes are only two of the several different parasites that attack pond fish. Flukes are treated with Prazi or Fluke-M, with many having a preference for the Fluke M. Smaller parasites than the flukes which can be seen in a microscope at 40X, like costia which requires 400X to be seen are treated with formalin/malachite green solution like Proform C or similar. Then there are the large parasites that are visible with the naked eye, like fish lice and anchor worm, which are best treated with Dimilin, but can be removed with tweezers. Besides the parasites, there is always the possibility of abrasion against some structure in the pond, nets, handling, jumping out of the pond and rolling around on the ground.

Anything that breaks the skin and sometimes only has to break the slime coat, will allow bacteria to get to the fish and start an infection. In many cases the infections will heal on there own, but sometimes additional measures are needed. If the scrape is noticed immediately or is definitely in the skin, wiping with peroxide or iodine will kill bad bacteria on the surface and then coating with denture powder will prevent the bad bacteria from getting to the wound. If it has been there for some time and continues to get worse then it is time to administer antibiotics. Small areas may be treated with a Triple Antibiotic Ointment, but for other issues there is a powder that is designed to be used as a bath called Tricide Neo that works well as a topical or my preference is to use it as a spray. The next step up and probably one of the preferred methods, antibiotic available, is injection of any or several different antibiotics.

Yes, there are fish that seem to find a way to get sick more often than the rest of the herd, just like there are kids that are always running around with runny noses. Just lower immune systems.

No matter what, for the weak fish to survive or the sick fish to recover, the first and most important issue is the quality of the water.
      Zone 7 A/B
      Richard

This user has no status.

Feeling:
      ----

Thank you Richard very much for your informative reply!

I have not found Tricide Neo here. I wonder if I have done a right judgement: The lesions seem to be not infected? Will the 0.6% salt help?

Thanks again!

This user has no status.

Feeling:
      Awesome

The salt probably won't hurt. The red, in my mind is a sign of infection. Minor, but still infected, much like a skinned knee. Good water and time will probably allow the fishes immune system to handle it, but if it gets worse, then pursue getting some antibiotics of some description. If it improves on its own, then no action needed. I would give it some time before trying any other treatments.
      Zone 7 A/B
      Richard

• Remove Ads
        Advertising from Google
        Promoting Koi and Pond
        keeping since 2007